Dutch Beggar In Bangkok

bkkmadness

Dutch Beggar in Bangkok

We have discussed these dudes enough on the forum, here's a chat with one that I met on the bridge leading over to Gaysorn Plaza. Apologies for the quality it was filmed on a cybershot camera and I notice we lost a bit of quality on the sound so I have added a transcript of the conversation.

UPDATED WITH TRANSCRIPT:

As I said before the sound wasn't great because of the camera we used plus this was filmed on the walkway between Central World Plaza and Gaysorn Plaza and there was a lot of background traffic noise.

I've tried my best to get a decent transcript and make it as accurate as possible, but a few bits I couldn't decipher these are marked as '...................'.

If anyone works out what he was saying please let me know and I'll update the transcript.

We lost a bit of sound before before but I was explaining to the guy how there are forums on the net discussing farang beggars in Bangkok so that's where the conversation continues from.

---Start----

bkkmadness: There's a story about a farang beggar, I think there was a Canadian beggar as well and a Dutch beggar and there was one at Asoke and one at Ploenchit and they want to know 'How did it happen?', can't your embassy help or..?

DB: Since 6 months ago before I had work, now I have no work again. They changed visa so I have to go out again before January 4th, that's why I've come back again for getting money.

bkkmadness: Yeah it's a 90 day visa now, you have to go in and go out, that's going to be a problem for you. What are you going to do, can't your embassy help?

DB: Before that (give help I guess he means) they see passport now I had been here one year taking money from money from the government of Holland I was taking money for being unemployed, I should be in Holland looking for a job, but I was here. If they see that...

bkkmadness: Oh so you embassy wont help you. And you can't work now?

DB: No I stopped work. I had a job for 3 days in the week, 12 hours, only 12000 Baht a month.

bkkmadness: Only 12000, but you can't get a teaching job for 25-30000 Baht a month?

DB: I was looking for that but they only gave me 12 hrs.

bkkmadness: Ok, but there is quite a lot of English teaching work, through agencies?

DB: Yeah I was looking for that but everywhere I go, they say they call me, they call me, they take my resume, waiting, waiting.

bkkmadness: Ok, no luck. And how much do you get for doing this?

DB: About 1000 Baht a day.

bkkmadness: 1000 Baht a day. So how many hours?

DB: Depending, when I wake up probably it starts about 12 O'Clock and usually when I get tired 7 O'Clock.

bkkmadness: Ok, ok, and about a 1000 Baht a day, so probably better money than teaching?

DB: If teaching was 5 days a week it would be better but 3 days I get passport out for.............

bkkmadness: Yeah that's true, that's true. You don't have a problem doing this with the Police? Surely here as well here there are a lot of police at the World Trade? (Central Plaza)

DB: It's much better at Chitlom.

DB: If they see you some they say 'Go away', and others they take you to the police station and pay some money, if you are lucky they will let you go.

You pay money and you get out again. How much you pay?

DB: One time 500, one time 2000.

bkkmadness: So a business risk really, you lose a little bit but you make ok money. Ok, fair enough. They don't put you in the IDC, the detention centre or...?

DB: No they always look at my passport but I always take care of my visas ok.

bkkmadness: So that's no problem but because...

DB: They always say 'Next time we'll keep you in immigration' so I always take care of my passport.

bkkmadness: Does this come under working without a work permit or not because it's begging?

DB: It's illegal to do, begging.

bkkmadness: Oh ok, I thought you might get a problem because yeah it's illegal, begging. But so far they've been ok?

DB: Yeah.

bkkmadness: How many times have you been arrested by the police?

DB: 4-5 times.

bkkmadness: In how long, sorry?

DB: First time I had a problem was about 3 weeks.......................but now I am back one week again.

bkkmadness: OK, so I'll put it down '7000 Baht short to get home'.

DB: Are you working for a newspaper.

bkkmadness: No I'm making some video for youtube actually but I just saw you come here so I thought it would be interesting, because a lot of people ask about this and some people think that a farang shouldn't beg in this country and they ask how you can beg without getting deported without getting a problem with the police, but it seems fairly easy.

DB: I've been lucky because I keep my passport is ok or, I don't know.

bkkmadness: There's quite a few farangs that are doing this now. There's a Canadian guy who works in Sukhumvit as well, he also asks for airport tax money as well around Sukhumvit.

DB: I haven't seen him.

bkkmadness: No? Maybe competition.

bkkmadness: Ok, I won't bother you anymore, Happy Christmas.

----The End-----

Into and Outro music - 'Muddy Waters - I feel like going home'.

PS. If anyone is a youtube member and would like to rate this clip it can be found by searching 'Dutch Beggar Bangkok' at youtube.com.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice christmas day yapping with a "beggar".

Beggar is a horrible word and these are horrible people.

If in Holland maybe one could find a little sympathy, but not here in Thailand

where he could probably hawk his boots for a few hundred.

How badly off is he really?

Good vid Bkkbababobong...I rated it 4u.

Thanks OneeyedJohn, I'm usually out of Bangkok for Christmas on holidays but had them a little later this year coz me parents flew over in Jan. I didn't intend to film this guy actually I was making a video on Christmas Day in Bangkok and my friend and I stopped to empty the camera memory on his laptop on the overpass and just as we had done it the Dutch guy walked passed us, sat down and pulled his sign out of his bag. So I thought ok, lets get this guys story.

I will try to find him again in the next few weeks and see if he's still there because according to his daily earnings he should have made about 80-100 K by now so interested to find out if and why he's still begging.

Edited by bkkmadness

Thanks OneeyedJohn, I'm usually out of Bangkok for Christmas on holidays but had them a little later this year coz me parents flew over in Jan. I didn't intend to film this guy actually I was making a video on Christmas Day in Bangkok and my friend and I stopped to empty the camera memory on his laptop on the overpass and just as we had done it the Dutch guy walked passed us, sat down and pulled his sign out of his bag. So I thought ok, lets get this guys story.

I will try to find him again in the next few weeks and see if he's still there because according to his daily earnings he should have made about 80-100 K by now so interested to find out if and why he's still begging.

Would be interesting to know where he stays too. Sleeping rough? If not and he pays rent somewhere that would eat into the 80-100K he would have raised by now. And if he's been arrested a few times... visa runs...? I couldn't really hear properly what he said about his visa situation though so maybe that's not an issue.

In any case, he must be bored out of his mind. I can't imagine anyone would want to stay there doing that longer than they had to out of choice...

On a 1000 baht a day easy to afford a decent 5-6 k room somewhere. Very much doubt he's sleeping rough. That is something I thought about after, maybe I will ask him next time if I go back for a part 2.

Visa wise he has been doing runs because he mentioned being worried about the 90 day rule, but if he's earning that cash then he could afford to go and get a proper tourist visa somewhere. Maybe he is not so clued up on the rules?

I will add a transcript to the chat on my website as some point.

The guy is full of <deleted>, just like you said in the video about the police deporting him and him just saying he pays them, if he wasn't living it up some where surley he would be begging outside a police station to they did deport him! ans as for his dress sence hes the cleanist looking beggar i've seen. THE MANS A DISGRACE!!! Good video and nice one on exposing him. :o

This MF, he was outside Pantip one day with the cops looking at him scratching their heads like apes trying to decide what to do. That was about 4 months ago..

I asked him what his story was and he said he taught at a pratom school and then got kicked out... Gave him the number for nature method.

Did you notice he swayed back and forth like he was on drugs?!

30,000 baht a month give or take no wonder he doesn't wanna teach, should have asked him where he sleeps at night, i doubt on the street, he's probably got a nice set up with a TV and fridge and all the sh!t?!?

Thanks OneeyedJohn, I'm usually out of

In any case, he must be bored out of his mind. I can't imagine anyone would want to stay there doing that longer than they had to out of choice...

Unless you were taking something to "ease the pain"

The guy is full of <deleted>, just like you said in the video about the police deporting him and him just saying he pays them, if he wasn't living it up some where surley he would be begging outside a police station to they did deport him! ans as for his dress sence hes the cleanist looking beggar i've seen. THE MANS A DISGRACE!!! Good video and nice one on exposing him. :D

============================================================

First of all; I can see where a person can get down on his/her luck. However; to resort to begging-on-the-street, I find totally abhorent. I'm also a Dutchman and I am thoroughly ashamed of this guy's behaviour.

Surely he can call on his relatives/friends in Holland to get enough dosh together to return home !?! (and there, go straight back on the dole !)

Secondly; "chrisspursbkk1" you are sorely mistaken if you think that "getting arrested" by the Immigration Police would automatically result in the subject's deportation to his home-country. The truth of the matter is a bit more dramatic: they'll lock you up in the Immi-Jail and then they will wait until someone comes-in with enough money for the Fine & the Air-Ticket home. This could take a heck-of-a-lot of time, when yoy're considering morons like the one in this particular story . . . . . . .

:o

JGK / Pattaya

This guy used to show up in front of Thaniya Plaza on one of the entrance to the Skytrain almost weekly. I watched at least a couple of people hand him hundreds of baht, at least one time 1000 baht.

He also must've known I was watching him, because every time I would come back out a second time about 15-20 minutes later, he'd be gone.

He needs to go home and have a life if he can't find a proper job here.

When he asked you if you worked for a newspaper,perhaps he meant Viz !

I have recently seen a guy from England doing it down Silom as well,but he targets Japanese tourists also as he speaks a little Japanese.

Also see the same guy around Nana....off his face !

Be careful he is full of bullshit !

He has a southern accent and tells you he needs to get back home to do his exams.In what ?

Surely he can call on his relatives/friends in Holland to get enough dosh together to return home !?!

not necessarily... i have to take care of myself, i have no backup as my family is pretty f'd up and i moved around too much in the states to make long term friends- i could see how in the wrong situation i could easily end up in the same position. luckily i do ok. :o

The guy is full of <deleted>, just like you said in the video about the police deporting him and him just saying he pays them, if he wasn't living it up some where surley he would be begging outside a police station to they did deport him! ans as for his dress sence hes the cleanist looking beggar i've seen. THE MANS A DISGRACE!!! Good video and nice one on exposing him. :D

============================================================

First of all; I can see where a person can get down on his/her luck. However; to resort to begging-on-the-street, I find totally abhorent. I'm also a Dutchman and I am thoroughly ashamed of this guy's behaviour.

Surely he can call on his relatives/friends in Holland to get enough dosh together to return home !?! (and there, go straight back on the dole !)

Secondly; "chrisspursbkk1" you are sorely mistaken if you think that "getting arrested" by the Immigration Police would automatically result in the subject's deportation to his home-country. The truth of the matter is a bit more dramatic: they'll lock you up in the Immi-Jail and then they will wait until someone comes-in with enough money for the Fine & the Air-Ticket home. This could take a heck-of-a-lot of time, when yoy're considering morons like the one in this particular story . . . . . . .

:D

JGK / Pattaya

Like you said firstly about him having freinds or relatives who might be able to come to his aid,the dutch embassy maybe?? Now please read what you wrote secondly and you wil see you said it all. Theres no mistake in what i said about him being arrested and put in jail, hope you can see my point. :o

Gosh why are you so hard on this guy...

I think it's still better than some other options

...think of it, he could become a real estate agent...

he doesn't steal the money... if someone is stupid enough to belive him and to give him money

or simply has too much money and gives him some of it ... I think it's ok...

Edited by off-the-wall

Thanks for this Mr.Fishkeeper

Since the time that we had a small hamburger shop at J.J's I knew that Farrang in Thailand could make a fortune just sitting down like my fellow country man in your clip.

Parasiting on the goodness of the Thai citizen.

Khun Thai Chai Dee mak maak!

I hope that those guy's wake up before it’s to late.

They seem to be unaware of the rule that nothing's for free in life.

Hope that my Kids never get that stupid & pathetic.

I think I rather shoot myself than live knowing that I helped creating something like that.

Greetz & Salutations

Zamor

Edited by Zamor

You know, seeing this video really bothers me.

I have lived and worked in Thailand for 10+ years. Thanks to some pretty good luck, a A LOT of hard work and following the rules, I have managed to stay here legally and have had a great and prosperous life.

Tourists like this are just plain wrong. This guy (and others like him) needs to go home. He can get on the dol in his own country if he needs money so badly.

I have filed a complaint at http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...hp?page=comment about this, referencing this post.

I encourage all of you to also file a complaint; maybe the Immigration Bureau will take some action. People like this make all farangs in The Kingdom look bad.

PLEASE ACT.

You know, seeing this video really bothers me.

I have lived and worked in Thailand for 10+ years. Thanks to some pretty good luck, a A LOT of hard work and following the rules, I have managed to stay here legally and have had a great and prosperous life.

Tourists like this are just plain wrong. This guy (and others like him) needs to go home. He can get on the dol in his own country if he needs money so badly.

I have filed a complaint at http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/ba...hp?page=comment about this, referencing this post.

I encourage all of you to also file a complaint; maybe the Immigration Bureau will take some action. People like this make all farangs in The Kingdom look bad.

PLEASE ACT.

I've just done it as i totally agree with you 100% tweezer. THE MANS A DISGRACE, anyone in dought please watch the video very carfully and listen to the rumor's on this guy its gotten away this for far to long!

Ouch, brutal comments....

The guy is a beggar, if you don't give him money, you have no problem. The only reason he is there is because he gets money.... Weather or not he is a Farang is pretty much irrevelant, unless you make it into an issue.

I, personally don't like beggars and seem to wonder why some places allow them, while other places they are not too be found (ever been to Santa Monica?)...

Anyway, back to your trashing......

Quote:

DB: Before that (give help I guess he means) they see passport now I had been here one year taking money from money from the government of Holland I was taking money for being unemployed, I should be in Holland looking for a job, but I was here. If they see that...

Unquote

I think he cheated on Dutch government and now he cheats on Thai people.

I was just wondering.

Being on dutch dole and begging in Thailand? That is soo wrong.

This guy actually works on the turf of the Thai begging racketeers. He should count himself lucky that he hasn't been severely beaten up or killed by now.