looking like ill have to re plan my winter vacation

LA8RAT

hi all. im new to the forum but not to Asia first trip to Thailand was at age 21 as a back packer, that was 31 years ago.

in the past 10 years I've visited Asia as a tourist most uk winters for 3 or 4 week trips. thailand is my main destination as i find it to be very easy to get around and i'm cumfy with how things tend to operate here. I've mixed it up a bit over the past decade with trips to Cambodia, Nam and Malaysia. however this winter i have my 3 week trip all planned out bkk, pattaya, koh larn. 

Now i'm not a big spender, i'm from north of England and we are not known for throwing money about, but the state of the GBP v's the Thai baht is starting to get beyond a joke as will be obvious to many here already. Where as few years back i could quite happily budget £50 per day and pay my accommodation out of that and still have a great time throw in a £500 flight and ive got a nice 3 week holiday for £1500 ish.

last years trip it was 42 to the £ at the moment its about 37 with brexit still to happen and all the entails.

I'd have cancelled the trip for this year but ive already bought the flight and booked my hotels, luckily only my first night in bkk is actually paid for the rest i can cancel at no cost.

im willing to live with the bhat being as low as 35 but any lower than that and ill have to re organize and hop to another country, obviously the weak gbp will follow me everywhere i go but the added strength of the baht and the inflation rate in Thailand makes it a worse option for me. This isnt aimed at expats already here in Thailand my heart goes out to those already having to up sticks and move or return home.

I'm wondering how many others are in a similar boat with trips half booked and the realisation that you might have to make some changes.

how low can you stand the baht to be before you cancel or re plan?

Edited by LA8RAT
  • Like 1

Well I think I could stand a rate as bad as 30 BHT for 1 EUR (AKA mickey mouse currency), but I'm not willing to do so.
For this year I had planned 4 trips to TH in total, 2 trips each 4 weeks long and another 2 with 3 weeks of duration each.
Thanks to the exchange rate, the ever rising prices, the hassle with immigration, the herds of Indians, Arabs, Chinese and the overall not longer existing value for money I did cut down to 2 3-week trips.
For next year there is already a flight booked for march and also a condo booked (and deposit paid). But this trip is still labeled "possibly subject to cancellation".
Alternative destinations for me will be the Balearic Islands, the isles of Greece and the island of Gran Canaria as a winter destination.

Edited by Peterbilt
changes / typos
  • Like 1

The way I see it is that you have 3 options :

1 - Buy some Baht now - that will only work if you have a Thai account that you can wire money into - you probably don't have this

2 - Go elsewhere and skip Thailand until they reign in their currency, it's still much cheaper over in Cambodia and Vietnam

3 - Suck it up and just pay the extra, you're only coming for a few weeks after all.

• Like 1