Dead Small Wild Birds

Tammi

In the past 2 to 3 weeks I have seen 3 dead small, wild birds in the garden here at Jomthien. It is very unusual to see dead wild birds. Anybody else seen dead birds? Could they be dying because of air pollution or could it be bird flu? Anybody?

I would guess that in the west we would be being asked to report dead and dying birds. Does anybody know if there is a 'hotline' in Thailand?

I've got semi mirrored glass in my windows and for some reason birds are always flying into them.

I usualy find 1 or 2 dead birds a week in my garden, with a couple of feathers stuck to the window that the poor sods broke their necks on.

Maybe this is the reason ?

I've got semi mirrored glass in my windows and for some reason birds are always flying into them.

I usualy find 1 or 2 dead birds a week in my garden, with a couple of feathers stuck to the window that the poor sods broke their necks on.

Maybe this is the reason ?

The dead birds I saw were not near windows.

We have a lot of feral cats that are not interested in the dead birds.

Tammi, one place you could try is the oriental bird club. The club seems to be very active here and there's a lot of stuff on birds in Thailand. Their link is:

http://www.orientalbirdclub.org/club/contact.html

If you go there, you will find an email contact address. They are based in the UK but have members all over the world, and are devoted to Oriental Birds, (The feathered variety I hasten to add). They may be able to put you in touch with someone in Thailand who can advise/help.

Let us know how you get on.

Apparently Thailand has set up a bird flu contact center according to this article here:

http://www.callcentres.net/CALLCENTRES/LIV...ow&CALL2024

You might get the info by getting in contact with the editor.

What you might have to do is collect the body of a bird so it can be tested to determine the cause of death.

Do not DO NOT touch the bird at all. Pick it up with forceps or clamps, and conceal it in airtight plastic, then seal it again.

Then contact the WHO in Thailand or that center, or just call the police.

Remember, don't touch any dead birds. In fact, they might tell you not to disturb the carcas at all. But then it might get taken by another animal.

(And who knows, if you act fast enough, you might save the world from a pandemic.)

Why not hang a wind chime or a potted plant or even a few pieces of string or whatever in front of your window. I know you wouldn't conciously go about killing 3 birds a week.

In the past 2 to 3 weeks I have seen 3 dead small, wild birds in the garden here at Jomthien. It is very unusual to see dead wild birds. Anybody else seen dead birds? Could they be dying because of air pollution or could it be bird flu? Anybody?

I would guess that in the west we would be being asked to report dead and dying birds. Does anybody know if there is a 'hotline' in Thailand?

Tammi,

Sounds silly but be careful if you have a pet cat or your neighbours do. Remember the Tiger Zoo ? Kitties can bring the nasty into your home.

Why not hang a wind chime or a potted plant or even a few pieces of string or whatever in front of your window. I know you wouldn't conciously go about killing 3 birds a week.

My house has 30 glass windows and doors, so it would either end up looking like a natty dread locked rasta house or sound like a Clangers concert :o

I'm by no means an expert, but I thought the it was the wild fowl type of birds - wild ducks, geese and the like - who contracted and carried bird flu - not the regular little song birds etc, that you get in your garden.

However, better be safe than sorry - maybe you should report these deaths.

Ducks, Geese etc have been the culprits in bringing the lurgy to the human population due to close contact through in general, farming methods employed.

Sadly all the little buggers can carry it, as can felines, hence the huge Tiger kull.

Actually I had a bit of a problem with the word order of the posting title, although the meaning is clear on reading the content should it not have read "small wild birds, dead" as dead small means really small?

If you get birds flying into your windows it is because they think they can fly on through. So a mirror window looks to a bird like a continuous landscape and it just flies flat out into it.

If you have a lot of widows in a house and any of them are in line with/opposite each other the bird assumes it can fly straight through and again slams into the glass. A way to prevent this is to draw the curtains on one of the windows so as to prevent daylight shining straight through the house, you might cut down on your air-con bills too.

As for other causes....is there a possible source of air pollution nearby (a hot chimney or something), do the birds look in good shape or are they ragged as if they've been ailing for a while?? Are there electic cables exposed that they may try to perch on?

Didn't you already post this rant somewhere else?

I tried posting it in 'farming' but it appears to have been deleted from the get-go. By using the word 'rant' does that it's non-sensical and beneath your dignity? If you've got something to say, go ahead and express yourself.

My house has 30 glass windows and doors, so it would either end up looking like a natty dread locked rasta house or sound like a Clangers concert :o

Baah ! Nasty person.

Naka.

Edited by naka

Didn't you already post this rant somewhere else?

I tried posting it in 'farming' but it appears to have been deleted from the get-go. By using the word 'rant' does that it's non-sensical and beneath your dignity? If you've got something to say, go ahead and express yourself.

Baah ! Nasty person.

Naka.

if they are flying into the windows you can bet its at exactly the same time of day , i had a bird used to tap , tap tap on my bedroom window at exactly 6.20 every morning , obviously when the sun was in a certain possition and it could see this gorgeous bird staring back at it , i put black backing on my curtais and it stopped