Do You Have/need Faith?

Neeranam

So are there concepts in Buddhism that are not biased on knowledge well reincarnation is one there is no proof that this happens so this must be taken on faith there is no proof you can get to nirvana so this also takes faith .

I thought there was some proof that reincarnation exists.

There is probably no proof that it doesn't exist.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chownah you said you didnt know who Richard Dawkins is, here is a podcast of a debate in Oxford this week about faith that I think is well worth listening to. You may not agree whith what he says but he dose say it well.

http://podcast.timesonline.co.uk/serve.php...awkinspart1.mp3

mdeland ,its a mp3 podcast so you should be able to get it up there in the sticks with your dial up without to much delay.

I googled Richard Dawkins and quickly scanned a few interesting articles about him. His focus seems to be firmly grounded in Christian culture and not spectacularly relevant to Budhhism exacltly. Any thoughts of his that would be useful to deepen one's buddhist practice that I might have missed? As I've said earlier it's not useful to allow Christians and anti-Christians to dominate our study of buddhist teachings. The Christians and anti-Christians have been going at it for ages and suspect they will continue into an everlasting impermanence. Anyway, that's their business.

So are there concepts in Buddhism that are not biased on knowledge well reincarnation is one there is no proof that this happens so this must be taken on faith there is no proof you can get to nirvana so this also takes faith .

It is impossible to prove a negative

Could you drop the other shoe please , that is if you have it handy.

:o

It is impossible to prove a negative

It is impossible to prove anything with the possible exception of mathematical type proofs and things within formal logic.

After seeing most or many of the tenants and or theories postulated in the Buddhist texts come to life in ones daily life experiences.

A process called self realization begins to occur. That is, these truths are revealed through the heart in a way that cannot be quantified or measured by any scientific method.

As the process of realization and illumination through the heart and mind deepens,

faith takes some what of a back seat to the solid confirmations that come to the fortunate one who continues effort the practice in a steadfast way.

Things just become clearer. Happiness and distress, love and hate, life and death,

all seem to come into a proper perspective. The temporary nature of things is revealed.

So hopefully one becomes more the observer and not the doer... :o

Excellent post Pepe. This my exact view of my Christian faith, it's secondary to the benefits of my spiritual practice. And of course, the spiritual benefits.

-----------------

Hi suegha,wh

One of my teachers told me many years ago, that we are already in the spiritual world. We just don't have the eyes to see it.

Our vision is obscured by Mara/Maya, illusion. What we perceive as real is temporary and transient. Although it appears to be quite "concrete."

However the only thing that goes on is the spirit.

Everything else is headed to the worms and eventually dust.

Fortunately this world is not our home, we are merely passing through it.

Hopefully on an evolutionary course... :o

Excellent post Pepe. This my exact view of my Christian faith, it's secondary to the benefits of my spiritual practice. And of course, the spiritual benefits.

-----------------

Hi suegha,wh

One of my teachers told me many years ago, that we are already in the spiritual world. We just don't have the eyes to see it.

Our vision is obscured by Mara/Maya, illusion. What we perceive as real is temporary and transient. Although it appears to be quite "concrete."

My Christian belief is that after passing through this life, the next stage is everlasting life, so yes, in that sense, evolutionary...

-----------------

Hi suegha,wh

My Christian belief is that after passing through this life, the next stage is everlasting life, so yes, in that sense, evolutionary...

------------------------

My teacher, spiritual master, from India used to say, "If you follow the teachings of Lord Jesus your life will become perfect."

I always thought interesting coming from a Hindu... :D

One of Hindu friends is studying Christianity and says he will become a Christian. He says that the principles for 'good' living are the same and that many other principles are similar. I guess most religions espouse 'good' living, it's the practioners who fail - human nature I suppose.

One of Hindu friends is studying Christianity and says he will become a Christian. He says that the principles for 'good' living are the same and that many other principles are similar. I guess most religions espouse 'good' living, it's the practioners who fail - human nature I suppose.

--------------------------------------------

One of my teachers used to say,"Borders separate countries and Religions separate people."