visa on exempt

More important are the number of days you stay.

I know someone who comes to Thailand 2-3 times a month on a visa exempt. But he only stays 1 or 2 days each time.

I go to Thailand with a visa exempt, extend that for 1 month so I have a total of 2 months. After that I go back to NL for a month. Return with a visa exempt, extend it again for a month so I can stay for 2 months. And go back to NL for a month. I do this now for a year without problems. Till now no problems, but I am a bit afraid.

• Like 1

OP, take note of post #4.

It is true that there is no limit VE by air that does not mean you can obtain several in a row back to back. Example if you flew in visa exempt 30 day, then obtained extension then flew out and back in with only day or two out. It will work a few times. 

At some point you will be denied entry. Its the time between stays in los that's important

I wanted to make a report of my "visa-exempt" run of Tuesday 27 August to Mae Sai-Tachileck from Chiang Mai. (New U.S. pp that I got in Saigon this year, 2 V.E. entries by air on this pp.)

The summary is that I had no problems: the gov't officials were all business-like or friendly and courteous.

Cost was Bt 500 to the Myanmar official. 

The trip was somewhat awkward for me. I started out not able to flag down a tuk-tuk to go from my g.h. to the Bus Terminal 3 in C.M. I got a Songteaw driver who agreed to take me there for Bt 50 - or  65 ?. I hurried around to the #20 platform at 08:00 exactly and saw everyone standing at attention and then noticed the national anthem being played. Had not realized they played it in the morning. ....

On the road at a few minutes after 8 o'clock. Uncomfortable seats, but what the hell? we have all been through worse.. Slowed down by roads being constructed or washed out....

At the station in Mae Sai a little past 12:30 noon. No one around seemed to know about the border run I wanted to make. Found a place to eat a plate of fried rice.

Some m.c. taxi drivers would have taken me to the border for  Bt 50. But i was chicken....

Eventually got a Songtaeow driver to take me for Bt 15. But he dropped me off at the Immigration.

I walked into that office and the asked the lady at a counter and she said - No. Go to the bridge - a couple km on down the road.... I walked b/c there were not public transportation vehicles seeming to be looking for Farangs heading to the border. ...

Waived on from here to there.... among the crowds of ppl on different missions. To a counter where I explained what I was doing  and could I get a V.E. ?? She scanned my pp. on her machine and said the words I always like to hear: "Daai ca" and told me to go one... 

A man in a different uniform waived me into his office "please come in..." and filled out a form and charged me Bt 500. He said to pick up my pp on the way back at the office cross on the left side of the bridge. O.K.

That was what I had read and did  not understand before....

Walked into Tachileik and around past the touts shouting "boom-boom," and "Pussy," and showing photos -

what kind of a guy did they think I was?.... nothing much of interest in that town - like others have written:

the farther you go into the city the more you see the poverty and cripples and that was not what I was there for. Lots of tobacco shops. I hoped to find some good Burmese cigars, like my Thai Yai g/f had brought back for me from Myanmar when I lived in LOS 6 or 7 years ago. But no one I asked knew what I was talking about. ( i guess she had bought them in Yangun).

Hot, sweaty, tired I walked back over the bridge, got the pp at the place it was supposed to be ,

got the Arrival/Departure card from a helpful young man who seemed to just know what i was doing there, among all the Orientals who were coming and going through various gates and lanes....

They stapled the Departure card in and stamped it - for 25 August - and I went on the rest of the way to a m.c. taxi stand.

Paid the guy Bt 50 for a not-terrifying ride to the bus station. with 40 minutes left to my 3:30 bus.

I tried to snag an earlier bus or van even tho it was a waste of money just to avoid the uncomfortable slow ride on the big bus. But the people I asked just pointed to my bus and said something in Thai and I eventually gave up.

The bus left promptly at 7 minutes past 3:30. This was a newer bus and the seats were comfortable. The driver managed the slippery, wet clay stretches of roads in the dark rain without getting stuck. So I didn't have to get out and push at any time.

Five hours to Chiang Mai. A tuk-tuk driver wanted Bt 150 to take me to the Phrat thu Chang Puak. (What do I look like a tourist)? I said no: Bt 50. He yelled all right Bt 100. Still too much. But i was too tired to look for a different driver. He drove like he was a little drunk and angry but managed to miss collisions that could easily have happened with the impatient drivers in the cold, dark, wet rain.

So, there and back in just about 11 hours. 

Not as difficult as the trip I almost took to Timbuktoo in 1982.