Driving licence from 'scratch'?

justaphase

Is it possible to get a Thai car driving licence without a licence from my home country? Back home in England, I just had a full motorbike licence and now that has long since expired. 

So is there a route (scuse the pun) to take where I can get the whole test?

Thanks for the help folks. I've done plenty of driving and have my own car already so I'll go for the test on a quiet day sometime. I can also read Thai quite well too, or is the test all in English?

Is there a book to study from like the dvla book back home? Stopping distances and all that?

Cheers again.

• Like 1

Of course it's possible and for some even the easier route than converting their home country license.

I have done it for motorcycle in 2017.

You find info on the theory (multiple choice) test in the pinned topics.

English version has a pool of 90 questions. Don't try the Thai version, much bigger pool of questions. 45 of 50 questions must be answered correctly.

Swatting recommended. Some questions are that confusing or plain wrong worded that you might have problems.

Practical test is kind of a joke, circling around on a "traffic kindergarten" at the office yard.

Most offices will require an appointment.

Can take quite a while depending on season (I had to wait three weeks).

Some offices seem to do it in one day, others (like mine) take two days.

As written, there are driving schools which seem to be helpful.

I don't know the details.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, justaphase said:

Is there a book to study from like the dvla book back home?

As far as I know the 90 questions from the three PDFs here are still valid:

http://thaidriving.info/

By studying the correct answers you will learn something like no overtaking within 60m from intersections, no overtaking on bridges, etc.pp.

And question 5 from the first PDF is an example of a plain wrong question/answer. But still you have to tick answer 3 :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

As far as I know the 90 questions from the three PDFs here are still valid:

http://thaidriving.info/

By studying the correct answers you will learn something like no overtaking within 60m from intersections, no overtaking on bridges, etc.pp.

And question 5 from the first PDF is an example of a plain wrong question/answer. But still you have to tick answer 3 :biggrin:

The insane thing is that you need to drive your motorcycle/scooter to the Land Transport Office without a license in order to take the test.  Of course you can have someone drive you there or at some LTO offices they will rent you a motorcycle.

Don't forget to take a helmet.  You can't take the test without one.

Download the PDF files from KhunBENQ's link and study them.

You need to study the Thai road signs and markings as well.

Regulatory signs in Thai traffic:

Road markings and traffic lights

For the motorcycle license the only parts that are difficult are weaving around some traffic cones and driving at a slow pace about 60' down a 10"-12" wide "plank", usually made of concrete.  Look for some YouTube videos showing people taking the motorcycle driving test so you will know what to expect.

Hint:  For the plank tuck your knees in tight for better balance and apply a little rear wheel braking so that you have to over rev the engine slightly to move.  Braking the rear wheel slightly stabilizes the bike.

Did mine for motorcycle last month in Trat. Took two days, first day starts at 8:30am, color test, and reaction test. Next are 2 and half hour of videos, break for lunch, and then more videos until 4pm. Second day  starts at 9:30 am, in the morning is the online test, TAKE the English version. After that, break for lunch, and come back for the driving test. The test is driving in between cones, and the "small bridge" or plank crossing. Most Thais fail on the plank . For me the best way is get on the plank and gun it. The test takes no more than 3 minutes. After that, back in the office, for a photo, and 5 minutes later you have your license. I think is about 200 baht. 

Edited by Billpro785

19 hours ago, justaphase said:

Thanks for the help folks. I've done plenty of driving and have my own car already so I'll go for the test on a quiet day sometime. I can also read Thai quite well too, or is the test all in English?

Is there a book to study from like the dvla book back home? Stopping distances and all that?

Cheers again.

You do the test behind a computer. A lot of scenarios and there's A,B,C and D to choose from for every question. You are allowed to fail a few questions. You can do the test again if you fail. Straight away. When you've passed the test there's a really simple drivers test behind the wheel. Go to YouTube and search for drivers test Thailand. You can even Google it and you can see parts of the test behind the computer. Next to Jomtien Immigration in Pattaya they have this guy sitting in front of a table where people sign up for a drivers license group trip. One trip/week.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Billpro785 said:

Did mine for motorcycle last month in Trat. Took two days, first day starts at 8:30am, color test, and reaction test. Next are 2 and half hour of videos, break for lunch, and then more videos until 4pm. Second day  starts at 9:30 am, in the morning is the online test, TAKE the English version. After that, break for lunch, and come back for the driving test. The test is driving in between cones, and the "small bridge" or plank crossing. Most Thais fail on the plank . For me the best way is get on the plank and gun it. The test takes no more than 3 minutes. After that, back in the office, for a photo, and 5 minutes later you have your license. I think is about 200 baht. 

In some offices everything is in Thai. not one word in English. You have to figure out yourself what they're talking about when showing videos or different scenarios. ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Max69xl said:

In some offices everything is in Thai. not one word in English

Change "some" to "most".

I assume that only at the foreigner hot spots there will be tutoring/documents in English.

Only the multiple choice test is available in English.

31 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Change "some" to "most".

I assume that only at the foreigner hot spots there will be tutoring/documents in English.

Only the multiple choice test is available in English.

Yeah, you're right. But, I read somewhere that even in (outside) Pattaya not long ago the "teacher" held his lesson in Thai. I don't have a clue about these days. 

7 hours ago, Max69xl said:

No written test, just a test in front of a computer. 

Is the test written on the computer and do you have to read it? It's known as a written test even though you may not have to actually write anything.

On 9/2/2019 at 1:28 PM, KhunBENQ said:

As written, there are driving schools which seem to be helpful.

I don't know the details.

I can only speak for the one at chanthaburi. 20 hrs of tuition, their dual controlled cars and their computer test ( you keep trying until you pass), 2 consecutive days, test track has a roundabout and hill start, all relevant paperwork to study    ( they take you for the medical 115 bht ). return after a couple of days to complete the test, take you to collect your license at Transport office. charge 5500 baht. M/C 1000 Baht. very impressive company even took us to a nice motel nearby. 400 baht a night from memory.

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2019 at 1:18 PM, justaphase said:

Cheers again.

How will you know it's a quiet day ? as suggested use a school you WILL pass. I also have heard if you take the Govt test and fail twice ? then you can't take it again for months, not sure if that is so.