Thai Passport Expiry whilst in the UK (Settlement Visa)

My wife is going to apply in January 2020 for a "Family of a settled person visa".

My question is: Her Thai passport expires in February 2023 so based on her being successful with her visa application and receiving entry up to 2 years 9 months (33 Months) should she just wait and apply for a new passport then or obtain a new 5 year Thai passport before she applies for her UK visa?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't bother applying for a new passport before she comes to the UK; not sure if she can apply that far in advance anyway.

When her passport expires she will have two choices.

1) Renew it at the Thai embassy in London (see here). Note that she will have to attend in person to have her biometrics taken.

2) If she intends to visit Thailand then renew it there. She can do this even if it has expired as Thai nationals can enter Thailand using an expired Thai passport. My wife entered Thailand earlier this year on a Thai passport which had expired 13 months previously, no problem. Remember, though, that she'll need to renew it while she's there or she wont be able to leave!

But, when she comes to extend her stay in the UK (Further Leave to Remain) at the end of her first 30 months here, she will need a valid passport.. Her passport expires in February 2023, so whether she needs to renew it before or after her FLR application depends on when she first comes to the UK.

My wife and son have both successfully renewed their Thai passports in the UK. You will need to book an appointment online through the royal Thai embassy website as shown by 7 by 7. At the appointment biometrics will be taken and the fee fee paid after you have submitted the renewal form (complete in advance by printing from the website). The new passport will then be sent to your home address. The embassy is on queens gate, 10 minutes walk from the royal Albert hall. Its worth noting that both times we have been we took along our own passports photos but these were never used as the embassy took the photos for us. Good luck

Sent from my SM-T510 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

The Royal Thai Embassy sends out a team to visit various locations in UK in order to sort out any consular issues including passport renewal. For example, they visit Edinburgh twice a year. Use the website to find the dates and places.

For

• Like 1

The Royal Thai Embassy sends out a team to visit various locations in UK in order to sort out any consular issues including passport renewal. For example, they visit Edinburgh twice a year. Use the website to find the dates and places.

For
Great point, could save a fortune travelling to London if you live far away like us.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app