Who Has Visited The New Rimping

p1p

Rimping opened a new supermarket on Friday last. It is on Mahidol Road heading south from the moat, just before the traffic lights at the airport junction.

The shop is a dream come true for me, with the huge selection of new, quality Farang produce.

Who else has been there and what are your impressions?

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the same design as the one on the road to Mae Jo, very aesthetically pleasing and a lovely environment to shop in. I can't say I noticed that they had a great many more products than they had at the old branch by the Novotel but they do have a great bakery counter selling freshly baked products....still-warm pretzels m-mmm! :o

It's a nice store and a pleasant place to shop. The Japanese food and the bakery are great. In general, it's the same packaged products offered everywhere in Thailand. I'm not complaining, I like a lot of them. In the last few years especially, many organic/health oriented product lines from the USA and Australia have been offered, albeit at somewhat high prices and this has made things much easier for me to eat a healthy diet.

I would enjoy learning the details of how the imported food business works here. I've lived here for many years and have noted that all of the supermarkets in Thailand generally sell the same imported products at about the same prices. I have assumed that a single importer/distributor monopolizes the industry, decides what to import and sets the prices. Anyone know if this is true? I know that marshaling a new imported product through FDA approval is likely time consuming and expensive.

Rimping opened a new supermarket on Friday last. It is on Mahidol Road heading south from the moat, just before the traffic lights at the airport junction.

The shop is a dream come true for me, with the huge selection of new, quality Farang produce.

Didnt know about this one...thanks for the news.Living out on the Hang Dong road,this will fit me fine. I have found Rimping can supply me with just about everything I want in the food line.

I don't have a great deal of interest in food.

Eat to live. Don't live to eat, man! :D

bwahahahahahhahahahahah Oh UG and you said that with a straigh face Oh man the tears of laughter - hey can we get that post moved to Jokes - Puzzles - Make my day becuase it has to be the Joke of the Year

:o

Eat to live. Don't live to eat, man! :o

I agree, Ulysses. But then I get a craving for corn chips...corn chips; what's so freakin' special about that? And where, besides Rimping, can I either get the Thai brand or pay 98 dollars for Nacho flavored Doritos? And those foreigners who have to have their brand of jelly/jam, wine, cheese...life's little pleasures. Or, a copy of Road&Track.

Wait a minute - isn't Ulysses the one who's always scouting all the restaurants? You don't have a great deal of interest in food?

The new branch has a "Cheese Room" to store and rotate the products (just as the fromageries in France do). And they have a larger selection of cheeses, can now get a great (smelly) Normandie Camembert for around 270 baht.. They also have a bakery that none of the other branches have. It stocks great French and Italian breads.. All in all it is the jewel in the crown of Rimping stores..

erm.gifSorry mate, can't resist this.

\

Eat to live. Don't live to eat, man! :o

It has become Painfully obvious over the years that this is your attitude to food.

Rest of post edited out as being tooooo close to the bone. 771.gif

cooked.gif

"Didnt know about this one...thanks for the news.Living out on the Hang Dong road,this will fit me fine. I have found Rimping can supply me with just about everything I want in the food line."

I think there's one that's supposed to open soon in Kad Farang on the way to Baan Tawai on Hang Dong. It may be open already, I have no idea as I'm off of Hang Dong Rd but not that far down. Anybody ?

The new branch has a "Cheese Room" to store and rotate the products (just as the fromageries in France do). And they have a larger selection of cheeses, can now get a great (smelly) Normandie Camembert for around 270 baht.. They also have a bakery that none of the other branches have. It stocks great French and Italian breads.. All in all it is the jewel in the crown of Rimping stores..

I went to the Rimping Supermarket (next to the river) and found a piece of Rochefort Blue cheese for about 380B - grabbed it and a round of Brie (about the same price) plus a packet of Table water crackers and some California Walnuts, I thougth I would have it for supper that night but forgot.

Next night I went to the refridgerator and took them out to air but the cheeses were gone!

In an almost state of panic asked the wife what happened - she explained that her family came over to visit when I was at work and she was going to give them the cheese but it was mouldy so she threw them in the garbage. Couldn't even rescue them from the garbage because it had been picked up that morning.

Cheeses 800B

Table water buiscuits which she fed to her family 200B

Walnuts 200B

Look on her face when I told her that farung LIKE to eat blue vein cheese and it is meant to be mouldy - priceless :o

Next night I went to the refridgerator and took them out to air but the cheeses were gone!

In an almost state of panic asked the wife what happened - she explained that her family came over to visit when I was at work and she was going to give them the cheese but it was mouldy so she threw them in the garbage. Couldn't even rescue them from the garbage because it had been picked up that morning.

:o imagine what her family would have thought of her if she didnt throw it away! make a section of your refridgerator your "crow boy zone". wife not allowed to touch zone. "no matter how bad it looks!"

Edited by tigerbeer

Look on her face when I told her that farung LIKE to eat blue vein cheese and it is meant to be mouldy - priceless :o

God - I'm having nightmares about this. Thank Zeus my wife got to know and like REAL cheese in Europe. She has an addiction to the true King of cheeses, Stilton and any runny cheese, the smellier the better. A close friend brought a whole ripe Stilton from England a few months ago. Didn't even last a month, and I had by far the smallest share.....

:o imagine what her family would have thought of her if she didnt throw it away! make a section of your refridgerator your "crow boy zone". wife not allowed to touch zone. "no matter how bad it looks!"

One of the reasons I have two frigs, one for my wife's smelly things (fish paste, etc.) and one for mine. :D

God - I'm having nightmares about this. Thank Zeus my wife got to know and like REAL cheese in Europe. She has an addiction to the true King of cheeses, Stilton and any runny cheese, the smellier the better. A close friend brought a whole ripe Stilton from England a few months ago. Didn't even last a month, and I had by far the smallest share.....

She won't eat ANY cheese at all not even cheddar. For weeks after she still wouldn't believe me that the cheese was meant to be like that. I had to take her to the Rimping so she could ask one of the Thai staff - the Thai working there shrugged her shoulders and said something along the lines "it's a farung thing"

Ahh Stilton, when we (previous marriage) were in England one Christmas we bought a whole Farmhouse Stilton and kept it on the sideboard with a platter of dried and fresh fruit, Table water crackers, and kept topping up the port and sherry glasses. Wonderfull stuff but guaranteed to give you Stilton Breath and Farts for a week :bah

I will try to make it out to the new one just for a look see over the weekend. I normally only go to the riverside one because I know were everything is in there Tim Tams, Vegemite, spicy fruit rolls, Weetbix (the real ones) Uncle Toby's Meuslie bars - the essentials in life. If I go to the one on Maejo Road I get lost amongst the bacon bits and other weird American produce.

She is actually very good - she doesn't drink alcohol so the beer is safe, she doesn't like chocolate or biscuits so the Tim Tams are fine unless her family turn up in which case they scarf the lot. I got a "food parcel" from friends in Australia a while back and it had a heap of stuff including Minties, violet crumble bars, Tim Tams, - I told her that they were all farung food and she wouldn't like them. I came home and discovered the lot had been devoured including my vegemite. The visiting kids liked the minties and tim tams so she gave them all away for the journey home. BWAAAA

I couldn't understand that anyone would like the vegemite but she said she did a whole loaf of bread because she knew I liked it and assumed they would to (no way in heaven) and everyone hated it so she threw the lot out. She had used a whole jar (550gm) on ONE loaf of bread <sigh> Gotta love her but sometimes it is really hard :D

I need to replace my vegemite but at 285Baht for a 235gm jar it is a luxury - I would hate to price a bucket of it like in AussieThaid's avatar!

What I used to like about the old Rimping (the one that just closed) is that they used to often mark down a 350g round of some great smelly round of Camembert from 350B, to 100B, because it was within a week of its expiry date. Like a moldy, aged cheese is suddenly BAD (!!!?!). I used to swoop on these deals all the time. Now they've moved to BFE (for me)- I am truly adrift....

I need to replace my vegemite but at 285Baht for a 235gm jar it is a luxury - I would hate to price a bucket of it like in AussieThaid's avatar!

$39.95 USD plus postage and hadling (approx $15.00 USD)..

Any problems with customs because it is a food product althought they (Thai Customs) probably don't recognise it as such?

You have the rest of the contact details for getting it?

Any problems with customs because it is a food product althought they (Thai Customs) probably don't recognise it as such?

Just tell them it's road tar... Go here.. http://www.simplyoz.com/products/aussie_fo...ceries/vegemite

Just tell them it's road tar... Go here.. http://www.simplyoz.com/products/aussie_fo...ceries/vegemite

:o its going to be impossible to keep the toilet bowl clean. u must have very good maids.

:D its going to be impossible to keep the toilet bowl clean. u must have very good maids.

We're happy little Vegemites

As bright as bright can be.

We all enjoy our Vegemite

For breakfast, lunch, and tea.

Our mother says we're growing

stronger every single week.

Because we love our Vegemite.

We all adore our Vegemite.

It puts a rose in every cheek! Available at all good Rimping stores. :o

Interesting this talk of Vegemite. I bought a small pot of Vegemite and a big Marmite some 5 or so years ago. They sit beside each other in the fridge. I've given both to the kids and they help themselves to what they like.

Both kids were born in Thailand and were introduced to the two at the same time.

The Vegemite is still half full, the Marmite gets replaced every three months or so. Wonder why?????

(This is not intended as an Anzac bashing question. I genuinely wonder why.)

Interesting this talk of Vegemite. I bought a small pot of Vegemite and a big Marmite some 5 or so years ago. They sit beside each other in the fridge. I've given both to the kids and they help themselves to what they like.

Both kids were born in Thailand and were introduced to the two at the same time.

The Vegemite is still half full, the Marmite gets replaced every three months or so. Wonder why?????

Hi p1p - I think it is because Vegemite is saltier and many kids don't like it. My boy won't eat it - not sure whether I am upset or grateful :o

I personally don't like marmite but that is just because I was brought up on Vegemite. Same as I CANNOT drink any NSW beer - Any state with a beer called Resches pronounced retches is not meant to be drunk, I knew I had been living in Qld too long when I started to like XXXX

For the non Australians amongs this forum in Queensland Australia which is locally known as the Deep South of the Far North, the local beer (very loosely applied term for beer) is Castlemaine XXXX (pronouned four ex) The reason for calling is XXXX is because Queenslanders can't spell beer.

For guys like AussieThaid who come from Victoria they drink VB because it is even easier to spell :D

South Australians like me drink Coopers which is dredged up from the bottom of the river torrens (just after it flows past) the zoo and then bottled to preserve the goodness and fibre.

Edited by Crow Boy

Mate what a site - need to check it out more but they also have a section of New Zealand products for our kiwi friends

post-36525-1174633660_thumb.jpg

couldn't tell if it already had velco attached to the palms already or it it was an optional extra

Yes, it is interesting as they're essentially very similar but have distinctly different flavours. Marmite is both sweetish, and less salty.
Vegemite, Marmite and Promite are all yeast extracts and basically all the same, but: Marmite is sweeter than vegemite Promite is sweeter then marmite They're all extremely salty tasting.

Or, Vegemite is very salty, marmite slightly less so. Promite is considerably less salty.

They all use caramel for the dark colouring, and it's probably this part which contributes to the war. Marmite is considerably sweeter (and darker) than Vegemite, while Promite is sweeter still.

http://www.hknet.org.nz/Marmite-Vegemite.h...isthedifference? :o

What I used to like about the old Rimping (the one that just closed) is that they used to often mark down a 350g round of some great smelly round of Camembert from 350B, to 100B, because it was within a week of its expiry date. Like a moldy, aged cheese is suddenly BAD (!!!?!). I used to swoop on these deals all the time. Now they've moved to BFE (for me)- I am truly adrift....

Hang on a second here - the old Rimping has closed? This is the one next to the river? When did this happen? Now I have to go to the new one or to Maejo? This is just not good enough - I like that store. If it has closed are they renovating it or has it had its demise?

Enquiring minds want to know

woo hoo this is my 300th post?

Re importing V'mite : check here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...s_promot_widget

(not sure if it's a current offer).

Anyone know the price in neighbouring countries ? Big cities in Malaysia have it.

Also, Rimping will import goods for you if you ask nicely. They might get a better shipping rate ?

I am not sure if youse blokes are serious, but I understand it's a strong possibility :o.