Toyota Sportrider 2000.

zzz9

To buy or not to buy?

Parts costs/reliability/insurance/yearly tax?

Any experience with this car?

bought a sportrider v version in august 2000 apart from new tyres and 2 batteries this car has been fantastic this version was discontinued 4 weeks before the turbo version a friend bought the turbo after me much quicker but has had many problems with it over the years but could be just bad luck only real problem was the lacqure on mine began to peel off after 4 years but 20000b to re spray its good for a few years yet :o

the 9000 is first class insurance.?

1400 is the yearly tax or what?

Is it a 3.0 engine manual or automatic?

I would be happy to hear on "chronic" problems of this model.

fuel of gas?

:o thanks.

I had a 2002 3.0 liter non turbo Tiger 4X4 four door and it ALWAYS had something wrong with it. In fact it turned me off of Toyotas even though I had two older ones prior to that which were OK. I LOVE my 2004 Nissan.

Gary surprise me ... nissan have a bad name here in Thailand as far as it concern to reliability ..

The truth is that everybody tells me to go for Isuzo but its so ugly (in my eyes anyway) and its have no chic.. :o

Only the new isuzo they put some life into this model D-max. all the others r like an old lady on the road.

Options r sport rider/D4D tiger/rav4 (but afraid of the gas fuel)/onda crv 98-99(same problem as the rav4) OR surprise.. :D toyota altis.

Gary surprise me ... nissan have a bad name here in Thailand as far as it concern to reliability ..

The truth is that everybody tells me to go for Isuzo but its so ugly (in my eyes anyway) and its have no chic.. :o

Only the new isuzo they put some life into this model D-max. all the others r like an old lady on the road.

Options r sport rider/D4D tiger/rav4 (but afraid of the gas fuel)/onda crv 98-99(same problem as the rav4) OR surprise.. :D toyota altis.

My Nissan is a King Cab 3.0 liter non turbo and it gets between 14 and 16 kilometers per liter of diesel. My Toyota was a 4X4 but got only 9 to 11. The Nissan gets better mileage than my new Ford Focus Ghia 1.8 liter gasoline engine. In fact I bought the Ford car for my wife and she usually drives the Nissan. The Nissan has only ever been back to the dealer for regular service. In my view it is the most under rated vehicle in the country. I have put 20 50 kilo bags of cement on it and it handles it fine. Out here in the boonies the number one truck is Isuzu and number two is Nissan. The farmers want to know how far they can go on a liter of diesel and how much they can overload them. The Nissan has a LOT more power than the Toyota had. I go up the mountain in 4th gear with the Nissan and had to shift down to 2nd with the Toyota. Will my next Nissan be as good? Who knows. I hope so.

ok thats good to hear ,I really dont know why the nissan is under rate here in the country and because of it the prices r really low much lower then the toyota and isuzo (something that I think have to consider when u buy a car that eventualy u'll sell it..it seems the nissan loose value much more than the isuzo and toyota.).

But. about the option I mention which one you'll think is the best buy (I not drive so much so I want a comftable and low lever of take care also..I think crv..but maybe I'm wrong.. )

Options r:

sport rider

/D4D tiger

/rav4 (but afraid of the gas fuel)

/Honda crv 98-99(same problem as the rav4)

OR surprise.. toyota altis 1.6 Auto.

...I really dont know why the nissan is under rate here in the country

I don't know either, we had many a fights with Gary over his claims of power and fuel economy.

Three year old 3.0L engine gives 16 km per liter.

Current Isuzu D-max 2.5 L advertises 17.

Current Nissan 2.5 L advertises 12.

That was the core of disagreement - I think Gary's numbers are exrtaordinary.

I do not wish to start another fight.

>>>>>>

2000 Sportrider is too old but surely is better than any competing car of the same age. What's the choice - first models of G-Wagon and Thairoong modified Isuzus? Those old Isuzus are total crap on the road.

well I agree with you that its not the best car ever (sportrider) but compare to budget I have (Slightly more the then 400K ) its one of the best options I see here.

To tell you the truth all this 'driving a pick-up' idea is not for me..I will feel like a farmer or something.. hehe but thats what the thais reccomend and say its cheap to take care..

If u asked me in my country if I want a pick-up I will think u must be joking.. :D hehe but here hey.. I need a car that is little bit higher as the roads r.... :o (in isaan anyway)

HI

Personal opinion but I prefer the look of the newer shaped D-max to a Sportrider.

I know you might not want one but for your budget you can get yourself a 2003 D-max Cab 4. Does 500kms/1000 baht, doesn't matter whether I'm driving in traffic or on the open road. Take a test drive you might be surprised.

Warwick

Hi

Sorry you mention fuel costs on the Rav4 so thought it was an issue.

Can't give you a comparison as I haven't driven the others you mention. People will say the car they own is the best, its down to what you want.

Nissan is cheap because its not a popular so no one buys them. (sorry nissan owners :o )

Just look around outside and as nearly every vehicle that passes is a pick up and of them I'd say 75% are Isuzu, they must be doing something right. Parts are cheap, standard service will cost around 1200-1500bht, more for cam belt change, dealer network is fantastic.

I'd rather buy as newer car as posible as the mileage and use should be lower.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Warwick

Isuzu was a pickup market leader for many many years. Last year was the first time Toyota sold more trucks overall.

Isuzu still squeezed a tight margin in a 2wd, general workhorse category, but in 4wd Toyota outsold Isuzu 4 to 1.

"Isuzu must have done something right" - sure, but it wasn't trucks, it was marketing. It's an established brand with millions of very loyal customers bit their trucks are not necessarily the best.

Pre-Dmax Isuzu can't keep up with the modern traffic and earlier 2.5l models also behave like they are severy underpowered. Old Toyota Tigers, on which Sportrider was based, still pack some punch, even in SR5 form.

Toyota updated their engines to direct-injection D4D in 2001, btw.

Be careful of the sportrider 2wd, its just a 4wd with the front diff and shafts taken out the casing and blanked off, looks awlful under there, you can even see where they have changed the mountings of the old 4wd box, nothing realy wrong with it but its almost as expencive as the 4wd its crazy.