King Power Contracts Deemed Unlawful By Council Of State

Jai Dee

King Power contracts unlawful

Investigation may be sought of former AOT chief who approved retail contracts

Airports of Thailand is expected to seek the Attorney-General's advice following a Council of State ruling its duty-free services and commercial-area management contracts with King Power International Group are unlawful.

The Council of State has ruled the contracts violate the law and must be nullified.

A member of the National Legislative Assembly's committee on Suvarnabhumi controversies, who asked not to be named, said it was up to the Office of the Attorney General if further action was to be taken against King Power.

"It's clear that King Power violated legislation governing public-private joint ventures. With the value of the projects exceeding Bt1 billion [contracts] must be struck based on the legislation - meaning it needs Cabinet review and approval," he said.

King Power chairman Vichai Raksriaksorn was unavailable for comment yesterday. He had insisted earlier the company complied with the law. He said the previous board of AOT chaired by Srisook Chandrangsu resolved the contracts did not need to be struck under public-private joint-venture law.

The committee source said it was prepared to request an Assets Examination Commission (AEC) investigation of Srisook, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, then transport minister Suriya Jungrungreangkit and Vichai.

Srisook faces AEC scrutiny over other Suvarnabhumi Airport controversies. Thaksin and Suriya have been implicated in a bomb-scanner purchase scandal.

AOT acing president Kulya Pakakrong said the board would decide how to proceed today. She was among AOT personnel notified of the council ruling on March 19. Its review was based on the Joint Investment Act which states projects in excess of Bt1 billion must include depreciation and contract terms.

"AOT would need to thoroughly recalculate the investment value if it exceeds Bt1 billion, based on the actual commercial areas. We would need to ask the board for an opinion of how to mitigate damages," she said.

The committee source said King Power apparently tried to keep the projects' value below Bt1 billion. It excluded inventories from the duty-free-services contract and included depreciation in the commercial-area-management contract.

"Last year, the previous AOT board asked the Council of State three times in one year if inventories should be included in project value and depreciation excluded. The body said yes to both. However, the board approved the deals," the source said.

According to the source, the AOT board commissioned an advisor to value the projects. In the duty-free-services contract it stipulated the project value at Bt813.83 million over five years and for 5,000-square-metres.

However, he noted, the actual contract life was 10 years and duty free space 11,820-square-metres. Inventory value was excluded from the contract.

The advisor calculated the commercial-space contract at Bt846.62 million over 10 years for 20,000-square-metres. However, the source said the actual space was 25,828-square-metres and depreciation was included to reduce its value.

Meanwhile, the AOT board chaired by General Saprang Kalayanamitr will reconsider 58 procurement contracts worth Bt507.14 million.

Of these, 32 worth Bt186.44 million were struck before the opening of Suvarnabhumi Airport. The remaining 26 worth Bt320.7 million were signed after the airport opened.

Kulya said the board would consider if AOT should pay for the purchases and if payments should be changed from agreed levels.

An AOT source noted many of the 58 procurement contracts were not approved by the board and awarded without bidding.

Srisook awarded 24 while former president Chotisak Asapaviriya awarded 11, he said.

Source: The Nation - 22 March 2007

Ok..so the contact is unlawful...what are they going to do...what are their options...

I do not think it is possible to just tell them to pack up and leave(and I think King Power) knows that also.

So they fine them a little money...put the clerks that wrote the contract in an inactive position and sign a new contract... And maybe make them move their stores that are blocking the fire exits and the toilet signs..

IMHO Nothing will change.

They just haven't paid off the right people in the current government. They will soon enough, and this will all blow over.

Coincidentally, I had lunch yesterday with the GM of King Power, to discuss using the almost finished King Power Novotel Hotel and Concert Hall for our (Mahidol U) world music convention in 2009. He was polite and generous, in his support for our music project and other projects, so I can let you know that they are not all evil, they are giving back to the community.

Ok..so the contact is unlawful...what are they going to do...what are their options...

I do not think it is possible to just tell them to pack up and leave(and I think King Power) knows that also.

So they fine them a little money...put the clerks that wrote the contract in an inactive position and sign a new contract... And maybe make them move their stores that are blocking the fire exits and the toilet signs..

IMHO Nothing will change.

Actually I agree that nothing will change, but why shouldn't it be possible to tell them to pack up and go (in jail)?

Sure there are some interested people for that places which can reopen it in a few days.

I hate KingPower just for their monopoly and the way how they do business. I think it is a good decision to kick them out however I doubt it would change anything. New company will get a concession and will exploit it even more.

I think they should have a variety of shops at the new airport and operated by individual companies. Small or bigger ones to compete with each other. But do I think this will happen? I don't think so! KingPower will setup a new subsidiary company and apply for new license and get it again. They won't just sit down and wait to see their business disappear. It's multi billion business.

Did you know that products at "tax free" shops in Thai airports often cost more than in the normal shops on the street?

:o

that's a fact of life in duty free around the world; they aren't selling on price they are selling on perception and convenience.

If I recall correctly, I think it is the duty free operator in Heathrow that has the highest margins in the business; the one that advertises with direct price comparisons vs. high street prices. They discount heavily on sale items to hit their high points on everything else.

This is a bargaining chip to get new terms, and possibly open up the possibility of other duty free retailers coming to Thailand; in fact one of my clients is 'ahem' a duty free operator looking to open here in Thailand. Window is opening to do exactly that; screw the airport, they can open anywhere. And without going into detail, this window was opened a while back; the King Power thing, at least IMHO, is simply to push KP into submission; get new terms with them, reduce their space at the airport and make sure that any new duty free retailer coming to the market isn't likely to get gunned down in the street and can have a pick up/drop off at the airport.

Outside of duty free business, the KP guys are a great bunch of guys though, and they DO give a lot of money to charities, sport and other things - but of course they have a lot of profits to give away! They aren't stupid, and they weren't about to give up their monopoly from the old airport easily (which they originally had as a duopoly if I recall correctly, but the other operator was caught cheating/smuggling or something). In case anyone forgot, it was a competitive tender to operate dutyfree at the new airport; Central lost. Of course...some say the terms of the tender proposal were written in a way that made it almost impossible for Central to win...but to think that would be a bit Taksin on the brain wouldn't it?

I assume the airport got a safety certificate prior to its opening despite the blocked fire escapes by King Power. That would possibly suggest another example of graft.

Not so long ago I spoke with a representative of an established retail business here that said King Power are very difficult to deal with, indicating that they have quite an influence at the airports where they operate.

Contracts with King Power to be nullified : AOT

Airports of Thailand's board of directors stand by the Council of State's ruling on Thursday that two contracts with King Power International Group should be nullified, said AOT chairman Gen Saprang Kalayanamitr.

King Power was awarded two contracts, for the operations of the duty free area and the management of the commercial area at Suvarnabhumii Airport.

The Council of State ruled on March 19 that the contracts' values were brought below Bt1 billion to avoid complying to the Joint Venture Act. As such, they should be nullified.

source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/03/22...es_30029989.php

Thailand scraps duty free contract at new Bangkok airport

Bangkok - The state-owned Airports of Thailand (AoT) has scrapped contracts with the King Power International Group, ending its monopoly over duty free shops and use of commercial space at Bangkok's new Suvarnabhumi Airport, media reports said Friday.

The decision to terminate two contracts with King Power, which previously had a monopoly of duty free operations at Bangkok's former international airport Don Muang, was reached at an AoT board meeting Thursday night, said the Bangkok Post newspaper.

'The meeting unanimously agreed on the termination of the duty free contract and commercial contract,' said AoT board chairman General Supang Kalayanamitr.

On March 19 the Council of State ruled that the two contracts with King Power were illegal since they should have fallen under the Public-Private Joint Venture Act, which requires any contract worth more than 1 billion baht (29 million dollars) to be scrutinized by all state agencies and ministries involved in the sector.

King Power allegedly won the two contracts by understating its investment costs.

King Power, which for decades reaped huge profits from its monopoly over duty free shops at Bangkok's old Don Muang airport, will be allowed to carry out its operations at Suvarnabhumi Airport while AoT's decision is considered by the Attorney General's Office, AoT sources said.

The 3.9 billion dollar Suvarnabhumi Airport replaced Don Muang as Bangkok's international airport on September 28, last year. The airport's first six months of operations have been plagued by the discovery of cracks in the runway and taxiways, leaky roofs, insufficient toilets and an over-proliferation of shops sub-letted by the King Power group.

Source: DPA - 23 March 2007

AoT terminates contract with King Power

The Airports of Thailand (AoT) board has terminated its contract with King Power International Group, the agency given sole authority to manage duty free shops and commercial zones in Suvarnabhumi Airport.

Gen. Saprang Kalayanamitr, the AoT board chairman, says the board will report its resolution to the Ministry of Transport. He says the board will also send its decision to the Office of the Attorney-General to consider further action against the officials who were involved in the deals.

AoT spokesman Chermsak Pinthong says King Power will not immediately cease its operations at Suvarnabhumi Airport. He says the firm will have to run its business temporarily.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 March 2007

King Power, which for decades reaped huge profits from its monopoly over duty free shops at Bangkok's old Don Muang airport, will be allowed to carry out its operations at Suvarnabhumi Airport while AoT's decision is considered by the Attorney General's Office, AoT sources said.

I bet that decision making process will be helped along by fruit baskets filled with baht, attractive female "assistants", and all the blow the AG can handle.

Along with all the "special" advantages King Power has obtained from the Thai Government, the name of the company (King Power) has always bothered me. Did the King give some sort of blessing to this company so that nobody would ever question any of its activities? I live near their headquarters on Soi Ragnam and a large portion of the 3 story facade is dominated by a HUUUGEEE picture of the Queen and King...seeminly implying that....well......um......

Along with all the "special" advantages King Power has obtained from the Thai Government, the name of the company (King Power) has always bothered me. Did the King give some sort of blessing to this company so that nobody would ever question any of its activities? I live near their headquarters on Soi Ragnam and a large portion of the 3 story facade is dominated by a HUUUGEEE picture of the Queen and King...seeminly implying that....well......um......

You better watch what you say :o .

New company will get a concession and will exploit it even more.

I think they should have a variety of shops at the new airport and operated by individual companies. Small or bigger ones to compete with each other. But do I think this will happen? I don't think so! KingPower will setup a new subsidiary company and apply for new license and get it again. They won't just sit down and wait to see their business disappear. It's multi billion business.

King Power will remain in control. Since King Power has controlled this industry for so long, there is no new company to take their place that has all the supplier relationships. Only an existing foreign operator could do this and we all know that is a non-starter.

King Power will remain in control. Since King Power has controlled this industry for so long, there is no new company to take their place that has all the supplier relationships. Only an existing foreign operator could do this and we all know that is a non-starter.

Perfumes, cigarettes and booze ? Not very complicated in my opinion.

Furthermore, Central tried to take the concession at Suva...

And I'm sure Central has the right "relationships" with the rights suppliers.

King Power has rights to sue AoT, says transport minister

Transport Minister Admiral Thira Haocharoen on Friday conceded King Power International Group had its rights to file a lawsuit against Airports of Thailand Plc for its decision to terminate contracts that allow the company to run duty free shops and commercial areas in Bangkok's new Suvarnabhumi airport.

AoT board on Thursday resolved to scrap the contracts with King Power, saying it had to follow Council of State ruling on March 19 that the agreements the company made with AoT are considered void since it failed to comply with the Public-Private Joint Venture Act.

Admiral Thira said he had acknowledged the AoT’s board resolution and wanted to assert that its decision was made in accordance with the law and without an intention to bully any parties.

However, he admitted King Power had the rights to sue AoT if it saw the decision was unfair.

The transport minister said he was not worried if the company filed the lawsuit because the Council of State clearly states the contracts are considered nullified.

Regarding a selection of a new operator for duty free shops and commercial areas at Suvarnabhumi Airport, he said it was up to AoT management.

However, he had instructed AoT executives to strictly adhere to the law for the concession granting process in which King Power could apply again.

A source said King Power executives were waiting for a formal written notification by AoT on the termination of the contracts made with the company so that it could take a further legal action.

The executives affirmed the company made the contracts with AoT in accordance with all legal procedures.

They said the company had clear evidence given by the previous AoT board that the deals needed not be approved under the Public-Private Joint Venture Act.

Previously, Aot board chairman Gen Saprang Kalayanamitr said the meeting unanimously agreed to terminate both the duty free contract and commercial contracts with King Power on the grounds that each of the two deals were worth more than one billion baht and thus they should have been approved under the Public-Private Joint Venture Act.

The board’ spokesman Chermsak Pinthong said the board had no choice but to scrap the contracts with King Power following the Council of State’s ruling that they are nullified.

What further action AoT will take with the company will be raised for discussion with the Office of the Attorney-General (OAG).

AoT will also inform the firm of the resolution and report it to the Transport Ministry so that it would forward it for the cabinet’s consideration.

He said the board was unable to tell whether the contract termination would affect operations of shops at the Suvarnabhumi Airport because it must wait for the Attorney General's advice.

However, Mr. Chermsak said the previous board must be held responsible for its approval of the deals.

King Power was authorised by AoT to run the two projects for 10 years. Its commercial contracts were leased to food outlets and other retailers.

Source: TNA - 23 March 2007

By supplier relationships I was referring to the way this industry does business, but you are right, the Central group could do this. I hadn't thought of them.

I'd like to agree with you, but it isn't quite as simple as you might think to run duty free; if it isn't King Power then it will be a consortium of a foreign duty free operator with a local partner; that is the only way it could work. Central for instnance, simply could not get into Duty free without a 3 year lead time at least, and they no longer have that luxury, since the airport is already up and running. And it could be noted that Central have virtually no connections with luxury apparel or fashion. Central did bid for the airport, and they fell short on proof of SCM and past experience in this business.

To look at the separation, for instance, take Fendi or Dior or similar. The local Thai and Asian staff/management/operators have nothing at all to do with the operations at the airport, which is an entirely different division with their own buyers, management and staff starting right from LVMH in Paris. Incidentally, the perfumery division is completely separate from the fashion. Hence Central have, at least as of now, no relationship at all really with LVMH fashion; and that is a mainstay of duty free.

Hence my opinion that it will end up back with King Power with a new revised contract; probably they will give up an effective monopoly on duty free in Thailand but not the AOT properties, and they will no longer manage the physical leasing and space at the airport, for which some sort of management company will get set up to handle leasing and tenants, but effectively that will be no different than if King Power managed it; after all there must be one landlord property management company to run the airport commercial space, I think we can all agree on that. And of course...King Power will end up paying more, and getting less space. Don't worry, K. Vichai will still have some money to play polo :-)

Edited by steveromagnino

I'd like to agree with you, but it isn't quite as simple as you might think to run duty free

maybe because most of us think of "duty free" as somewhere with a reasonable range of single malts :D

take Fendi or Dior or similar.

how many years is that aged ? is it an Islay ? :o

Airport contract row set for court

King Power wants injunction and defends actions as confused retailers seek assurances

King Power International Co is seeking a court injunction to maintain its business operations at Suvarnabhumi despite Airports of Thailand's (AOT) nullification of its contracts.

Meanwhile, commercial shops at the airport are scrambling for clarity over their future.

Vichai Raksri-aksorn, chairman of King Power, said he was awaiting official notification of the nullification from the AOT and would then ask the Administrative Court for an injunction.

He also insisted that King Power had complied with all conditions set by the previous AOT board of directors and that the company had paid the AOT Bt4 billion as up-front revenue-sharing.

AOT's board of directors on Thursday resolved to nullify the two contracts for King Power to operate the duty-free and manage the commercial area at the airport, saying the contracts were "illegal" as they should have been subject to the Public-Private Joint Venture Act that required more extensive screening.

With an investment of Bt7.5 billion, King Power Suvarnabhumi was billed as "the longest walk-through shopping street in the world".

With thousands of world-famous products, it expects to earn Bt17.2 billion in revenues after just one year of operation.

Vichai did not say if he would sue the AOT for its change of heart, as the previous board chaired by Srisook Chandrangsu had told King Power that its contracts need not come under the act.

However, the current board, chaired by General Saprang Kalayanamitr, considered that King Power had deliberately brought down the projects' values to avoid complying with the act.

Transport Minister Theera Haocharoen said: "This is a sensitive issue, but we have followed the legal process through, and we're not cheating anyone. [King Power] has the right to file a lawsuit if it wants to. The ministry will assign the Attorney-General's Office and the legal team to see how to handle it."

Theera said he was also waiting for the written document from the AOT concerning the contract nullification before deciding if the issue would be forwarded to the Cabinet for consideration.

Meanwhile he noted that the AOT would need to open bids to find new concessionaires.

"King Power is entitled to join the bidding, but it will need to obey the law," Theera added.

A source at AOT said retailers at Suvarnabhumi, though operating as usual yesterday, were confused about whether the nullification would affect contracts between King Power and themselves.

"Chanel, Gucci, Prada and Hermes have invested over Bt100 million in their shops at Suvarnabhumi and are confused by the government's policies," the source said.

Vorravit Siripak, marketing director of Puri Co, which manufactures luxury spa products, said King Power had not notified the company of any possible change in the space-leasing contract.

He said Puri had been a tenant of King Power for two years, back to when Don Muang Airport was still fully operative, and had always had a very good impression of the way King Power ran the commercial area.

He expected both parties to carefully find the best way out because any wrong decision would severely damage the airport's image and the sales contribution of all tenants.

The company has five sales counters at the airport, which contribute approximately 30 per cent of its total sales. Accumulated sales there are higher than at Puri's other branches in the city centre.

Pacharee Wisutiwa, vice president of operations at S&P Syndicate Plc, which has opened a 200-square-metre restaurant on the third floor of the passenger terminal, said the company was waiting for a clear agreement between the AOT and King Power on the overall retail contract at the airport.

"We are open as normal as we are concerned for our customers travelling through the airport and don't want the change to have any effect on their convenience," she said.

Kannika Chinprasithchai, the marketing manager for Black Canyon (Thailand) Co, said King Power had not notified the company of any possible changes.

She said Black Canyon had yesterday contacted King Power but there had been no clear answer on what steps would be taken. She was also informed that King Power had not yet been officially notified of the nullification.

Black Canyon operates three Cafe Nero outlets at Suvarnabhumi, covering a total area of 500 square metres. While waiting for official notification from King Power, all the three shops are operating as usual.

"The shops will remain open, and we expect to continue business, but if AOT takes over the management, we are ready to obey the regulations," Kannika said.

Prakarn Tawisuwan, senior executive vice president of TMB Bank, said the bank had to wait for more information before it could decide what to do.

However, he believes there will not be much impact on the bank's earnings as TMB branches in the airport are not very profitable. The bank originally expected its airport branches to support its image.

Source: The Nation - 24 March 2007

In view of its key commercial significance, am I alone in being mystified, as to why AOT would even consider losing direct control of the commercial-retail side of its main operating-airport ?

Commercially any major airport can be viewed as a retail shopping-mall, with runways attached, which generate the vast numbers of captive shoppers walking through it. Rentals, advertising-revenues & %age-of-gross-sales are immense.

So why would they ever wish to pass the management of this to someone else ?

On another point, since I dislike being ripped-off, I personally never spend my money on shopping at the airport. It's a small but effective way, to show our disapproval of KP and their over-charging, just vote with your feet ! :o

Did you know that products at "tax free" shops in Thai airports often cost more than in the normal shops on the street?

that's a fact of life in duty free around the world; they aren't selling on price they are selling on perception and convenience.

If I recall correctly, I think it is the duty free operator in Heathrow that has the highest margins in the business; the one that advertises with direct price comparisons vs. high street prices. They discount heavily on sale items to hit their high points on everything else.

This is a bargaining chip to get new terms, and possibly open up the possibility of other duty free retailers coming to Thailand; in fact one of my clients is 'ahem' a duty free operator looking to open here in Thailand. Window is opening to do exactly that; screw the airport, they can open anywhere. And without going into detail, this window was opened a while back; the King Power thing, at least IMHO, is simply to push KP into submission; get new terms with them, reduce their space at the airport and make sure that any new duty free retailer coming to the market isn't likely to get gunned down in the street and can have a pick up/drop off at the airport.

Outside of duty free business, the KP guys are a great bunch of guys though, and they DO give a lot of money to charities, sport and other things - but of course they have a lot of profits to give away! They aren't stupid, and they weren't about to give up their monopoly from the old airport easily (which they originally had as a duopoly if I recall correctly, but the other operator was caught cheating/smuggling or something). In case anyone forgot, it was a competitive tender to operate dutyfree at the new airport; Central lost. Of course...some say the terms of the tender proposal were written in a way that made it almost impossible for Central to win...but to think that would be a bit Taksin on the brain wouldn't it?

They were just doing business in nomal Thai fashion, it is just that as mentioned before they didn't pay all the right people. Or maybe they did, and the money didn't make it's way thru all the people properly.

Of course there should be more competition in the airport, but then that wouldn't be very Thai would it. Why allow competition, when one company pays a boatload for a monopoly. Thai business is filled with exclusinve distribution contracts. I just bought a digital camera in China, 150 USD cheaper than Suvanabhumi. Just check the prices some are more some are less.

I do wish however, that the govt would sort out the difference between all these excise taxes so that the airport if it is meant to be truly duty free, can become so.

Oh yes, yes, of course they reaped huge profits. Why do you think the guy with the long un-Thai name made so much money? He knew how to play the game and with whom..problem for him is that the guys on his side have all been sent to the bench or the dressing room. Now he's alone - but anyone want to bet that the richest guy in thailand isn't building another team? Ahhhh...yes my children..you can sleep safe and sound knowing that Thailand will never change...only the players and they will come to the field with deep pockets..

I'll make one prediction. If guys like this one above aren't able to ply their sleezy little trades with relative ease (e.g. 68 other or whatever are being investigated) then prepare for the absolute worst. ...but given the track record of Thailand is anyone really worried? It's just the usual chan ging of the guard isn't it? The 'enemy' of these guys anyway - is nowhere near the gates - they're still worrying about their harvest..as usual.

Edited by thaigene2

I'd like to agree with you, but it isn't quite as simple as you might think to run duty free

maybe because most of us think of "duty free" as somewhere with a reasonable range of single malts :D

take Fendi or Dior or similar.
how many years is that aged ? is it an Islay ? :o

Fendi is a speyside malt, Dior is (gasp) a blend.

I've been really disappointed with the range of single malts in duty free in Asia; no craigemore; the Laphroig is hard to find and no Glen Grant.

But we make do with what we can find :-)

King Power breaking their contract aside, their alleged payments to various slush funds, most elements of an airport display monopoly characteristics. From the fuel takers, to taxi ranks, to duty free (or commercial space generall). The extent of the monopoly depends on a few tests, that incudes the general availability for like/similar substitutes in a reasonable vacinity and the ability for the so-called monopolist to expoit the difference.

When you are talking about a tourist (presumably the main customer of King Power), if they had opportunities to buy a bottle of purfume at their deperture point, in flight, at their hotel, at a shop which gives VAT refund certificates, and then on the plane and on arrival back home in the arrivals hall...given these choices, how much of a monoplist is King Power then?

That was just me being a devils advocate.

Now....If you too a look at say, the Australian and Competition Consumer Commissions website (ACCC), looking up 'declared services' at airports, you'll get a clear idea of the extent of what is thought of as a monoply service. NZCC or the UK Competiton Commssion would have similar lists.

So, you establish that King Power has a monopoly...then what...how do you regulate it. Is it worth regulating?

In my personal opinon, while I'd agree that King Power were a monopolist, I'd regard them as a pretty harmless one in the scheme of things, unlike say CAT which is degrading Thailand's telecommunications connectivty with the rest of the world. From a pure economic perspective, King Power aren't exactly compeition free.