Watch for friends at risk of suicide, Mental Health Dept asks

snoop1130

From the miserable comments to this thread, my guess is that more than half of Thai Visa readers are miserable old men who may be at risk of suicide.. we should report them to that man in the photo...  if we cared..

• Thanks 1

Department of Mental Health Director-General Kiattiphum Wongrajit

The Department of Mental Health, worried over a rise in suicide cases to about 11-12 cases daily or 345 cases per month, is asking people to watch for the five signs of suicide risk and to take quick action to save a friend from suicide.

Let me guess. The general has absolutely no education to be the director of any department.

My mother attempted suicide thrice, when I was a teenage boy. She has (probably) undiagnosed schizoaffective disorder. On her depressed mood times.  Once by stabbing herself in the stomach. Once by alcohol and barbiturates, Finally, Once by car, wrecking it intentionally, breaking her nose and ribs. That was the last one.  I cared for her for months in recovery, missing so much time, I repeated the 11th grade.

But she finally got some insight, and is now 72, and doing relatively okay.

My best buddy in the Navy, drove his motorcycle off a san diego cliff canyon, instantly killed, upon discovering his wife in bed with our e-7 chief. They had met at (of all things) a mandatory attendance command picnic, that most junior enlisted hated.

My father killed himself upon learning his liver had failed, at 68, and instead of going to die slowly in the hospital, on support, took his own life.

His best friend from the Vietnam war was a guy who had tourette's syndrome, we think, who killed himself by driving his motorcycle head in onto a brick wall.

My Thai language teacher, by all accounts, a good Thai girl, with a degree, and a job as a tutor, attempted suicide by pills when her live-in Farang boyfriend bailed on her at year 2, and went back to his home country, breaking up with her by phone call after he landed safely at the airport.  She recovered with brain damage, and is struggling, with her very aged mom's help.

Huge stigma against mental illness in Thailand, because of face.

I think this is a good move, to try and bring it to light, despite the hardened cynics who are so damn jaded about life they joke about it.

I have helped U.S. Sailors and Marines with PTSD, who were depressed, not with a concrete plan, or method, to turn it around by listening, as I am living in Thailand, myself with 100% VA rating, with my own injuries, and PTSD issues.

Many of these guys felt like they gave their youth, and health to America, only to have Trump be a suborned soviet agent/useful idiot as POTUS, and why should they keep going, while they watch him, a draft dodger, throw NATO under the bus and stamp out democracy daily.

I am not a hero. I served, it was challenging, and mostly fun, and sometimes very violent. I only sleep 4 hours a night average, but I keep going to complete the mission of taking care of my family, that are depending on me.

Good luck to all that are having hard times. The hope is that it will get better.  Everyone has some secret pain, we are all human.

On 9/28/2019 at 12:25 AM, jerojero said:

Yes, friends are surely qualified to diagnose serious mental illness and especially anticipate suicide. Most suicides are a surprise to friends and family. Few confide or rationally discuss their mental anguish that may lead to suicide.

Agreed. Serious situation, but honestly, what can people do if they think someone is going to do it? Offer them unconditional love if they have been destroyed by a bad partner, offer a place to live, if they are homeless, give loads of money to those that lost it all?

It's always the same post death- "if we'd only known".

Till people accept that it's sometimes someone's only solution to a life gone bad, and offer some real solutions ( which can only come from governments ) it's not going to change. Just talking isn't going to make the love destroyed feel loved, the bankrupt wealthy, the lonely happy.

Seems to me that the people making pronouncements have no idea to be in a situation where suicide is the only way out.

Till one has been there, one knows nothing.

I've told friends how I feel about doing it, and they offer nothing. If I did do it though, they'd all be saying "how awful, if we'd only known". As if they would have given me what I needed- they wouldn't have.

On 9/30/2019 at 8:09 AM, mmushr00m said:

They need to setup a crisis hot line with trained counselors.

The action being proposed is good as well. For work, I had to take suicide "recognition" classes. One of the simplest things we were told to do was simply ask. "Are you ok?".

As if someone set on it is going to discuss with someone from work. Most of us are not OK, but we don't talk about it because we know that no one else cares, whatever they say.

23 hours ago, DeathShroud said:

Everyone has some secret pain, we are all human.

Yes, and if it was just a case of taking a pill and going to sleep never to wake, loads of people would off themselves. The only thing that stops some is the fear that it won't work and end up worse off.

IMO those that jump from high buildings in Pattaya are selfish because they might hit some innocent passer by. 

On 9/29/2019 at 4:49 PM, Ketyo said:

From the miserable comments to this thread, my guess is that more than half of Thai Visa readers are miserable old men who may be at risk of suicide.. we should report them to that man in the photo...  if we cared..

Your attitude is exactly what make some suicidal.

On 9/28/2019 at 8:40 PM, Basil B said:

you are contradicting yourself, silent sufferers do not ask for help which is why 

Is that what the Samaritans and other such organisations do? to offer their sympathetic ear and allow the friend to talk about his/her feelings without criticising or scolding him/her.

He didn't say that silent sufferers ask for help.

Talking isn't going to help those determined to do it.

Loneliness must be a big killer, but how does one fix that? One can join all the clubs there are, hang out in the bar, volunteer, but when one goes to bed alone, none of it means a damn thing.

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

He didn't say that silent sufferers ask for help.

Talking isn't going to help those determined to do it.

Loneliness must be a big killer, but how does one fix that? One can join all the clubs there are, hang out in the bar, volunteer, but when one goes to bed alone, none of it means a damn thing.

"Talking about suicide is possibly the most important thing that can be done in supporting someone that no longer sees the point in living. Most people that have suicidal feelings do not want to die. They just do not want to carry on living the life they have." https://blenheimcdp.org.uk/lets-talk/

On 10/1/2019 at 12:03 PM, Basil B said:

"Talking about suicide is possibly the most important thing that can be done in supporting someone that no longer sees the point in living. Most people that have suicidal feelings do not want to die. They just do not want to carry on living the life they have." https://blenheimcdp.org.uk/lets-talk/

Exactly. So how does one fix the sadness and loneliness that result from the loss of a once dearly loved partner? 

Disagree if you will, but IMO most suicide attempts are "cries for help", and not actually wanting to die, while those that really do want to end it will do so no matter how much talking goes on. Sticking a gun in one's mouth and blowing the back of one's head off is not a "cry for help".