Vegetarian Festival kicks off at Icon Siam

rooster59

Vegetarian Festival kicks off at Icon Siam

supawadee wangsri

235f6b0e268c7aa8b9e4420c853c80c1_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - Bangkok’s Icon Siam has joined with the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) and entrepreneurs to offer vegetarian food from four regions at “Im Boon Im Jay, 4 Regions Vegetarian Delicacies Festival” throughout the Vegetarian Festival.

The event features over 100 vegan treats from 50 famous restaurants in the central, northern, northeastern and southern regions. It is a combination of cultures from four regions, united in preparing vegetarian food. It promotes vegetarian food ingredients such as fresh vegetables, tofu and agricultural protein as well as seasonings from community enterprises in different regions, all of which helps generate income for local producers. The image of the Quan Yin Bodhisattva from the Lokutarathum Pratheep Foundation in Chonburi has been enshrined at the event for people to worship for prosperity.

Mr. Naphinthorn Srisanphang, Deputy Minister of Tourism and Sports, launched the event by cooking Auspicious Nine Deity Fried Rice. He emphasized that tourism is the main source of revenue of the country as it generates over 300 billion baht. The greatest number of tourists are from China and there are many Thais of Chinese descent who have adhered to the tradition over generations. Vegetarian festivals are currently being staged in many areas. This event promotes the image of Thailand in terms of creative tourism and culture, which helps attract more Chinese tourists. Those keen to visit the event can do so from today until October 7, 2019, on the ground floor, Suk Siam City Zone, Icon Siam.

nnd.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2019-09-29

2 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Is it vegetarian or vegan? They are not the same! 

Vegetarian. There are probably some vegan shops as well. But till now most of this Exibition are for Vegetarians, because vegan is a much smaller group.  And the single "vegan" word I would say is only a mistake ???? 

3 hours ago, HampiK said:

Vegetarian. There are probably some vegan shops as well. But till now most of this Exibition are for Vegetarians, because vegan is a much smaller group.  And the single "vegan" word I would say is only a mistake ???? 

Well, if they do all stick to the JAY-vegetarian rules (as that's what the festival is), thai symbol เจ, then it is actually supposed to be all vegan (no milk or eggs) and also no onions, garlic, chives, green onions and leeks (the five pungent vegetables).  It's been discussed over and over and that is generally the consensus -- correctly made Jay food is actually supposed to be 100% vegan.

2 hours ago, tarmovannas said:

Well, if they do all stick to the JAY-vegetarian rules (as that's what the festival is), thai symbol เจ, then it is actually supposed to be all vegan (no milk or eggs) and also no onions, garlic, chives, green onions and leeks (the five pungent vegetables).  It's been discussed over and over and that is generally the consensus -- correctly made Jay food is actually supposed to be 100% vegan.

OK I am no expert in Vegan/Vegetarian. If this all is really vegan then I am impressed.

3 minutes ago, Harveyg said:

All well and good.  But is there an underlying assumption that veg food HERE is healthier than otherwise?

If so, I hope it’s true. 

Vegetarian does not equate healthy food but most vegetarian care more about their health. Food should at least be organic but legislation in Thailand is poor. Then you have the problem of sugary food and bad cooking oil. It's not a simple subject. 

5 hours ago, tarmovannas said:

Absolutely. Same with the NavaRatri (literally from Sanskrit- 9 nights) vegetarian days for prayer for Hindus, same dates. No onion, garlic, leeks etc.

On 9/29/2019 at 2:33 AM, Tayaout said:

Vegetarian does not equate healthy food but most vegetarian care more about their health. Food should at least be organic but legislation in Thailand is poor. Then you have the problem of sugary food and bad cooking oil. It's not a simple subject. 

That’s my point. Enter with eyes wide open.  Another example: vegetable “protein” - a science project, not food. 

On 9/29/2019 at 11:32 AM, tarmovannas said:

Strange when I asked some Thai about JAY (เจ) then they answered vegetarian. But also could be, that the few people I asked don't know the difference of Vegan to Vegetarian!

Archived