cleaning vegetables

jaffas21

2 minutes ago, Surasak said:

I quite like my chips with Sarsons Malt Vinegar, their not chips otherwise. And life expectancy has nothing to do with vinegar, I used to drink the stuff by the pint and I'm still going strong, thanks.

Well Bullie is a bit out of touch. Malt vinegar is quite hard to find and has largely been replaced by an ersatz "non-brewed condiment".

https://metro.co.uk/2016/07/26/the-vinegar-youre-using-at-fish-and-chip-shops-isnt-really-vinegar-6030451/

Aside from chips, most English people do not put vinegar on their food.

Fish and chip consumption has been declining over the last few decades, being replaced by chicken, burgers and kebabs, the number of fish and chip shops in the UK has fallen from around 35,000 to fewer than 10,000.

In conclusion, perhaps the opposite is true, perhaps the fall in the use of vinegar is responsible for English people dying sooner?

Vinegar Sarson's;

Fish & Chips

Mixed in with Tinned Tuna 

Muscles, Prawns, Crabsticks, most other seafood - also all with lots of Black Pepper

Mixed with bit of water for cleaning windows

Me dad used to have loads of it over Honeycomb Tripe... 

I'd have to do more research bit I'd say washing or soaking does little to remove the pesticides absorbed into the internal tissues of the vegetables. Sure will remove some of the residue pesticides left on the surface but not the previous applications absorbed as the plant grew prior to picking. I'd be curious if anyone can find further info about this and post.

• Like 1

Vinegar kills bacteria, but it does not get rid of any toxins already created by said bacteria, and it will not do anything to get rid of pesticide residue, beyond simple rinsing.

Best to get organic, though I suspect a lot of what's labeled 'organic' isn't really organic at all.  Not in the US, and certainly not here in Thailand.

A lot of people scoff at the notion of 'organic,' or identify it with partisan politics.  I haven't the time to worry about people who want to play games with their health, but I feel very badly for their children, or anyone under their care who isn't being given a choice.

Aside from that, organic foods taste better than non organic foods.  America feeds it's people like animals on a factory farm, and it's killing them, and it doesn't even taste good. 

And I got to tell you, though it's part of the organic/inorganic topic, but staying away from rice, especially in a place where rice is so ubiquitous is one of the best things you can do for your health.  You might as well be eating its weight in pure sugar, though it's better than Americans swilling corn syrup, which is a big part of Americans nearly all corn diet.  Ugh. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

You surely MUST wash any veggies you buy in Thailand, including the so-called 'organic' ones.

We grow most of our own veggies and they are 100% organic, but for the few purchased in supermarkets and local markets everything gets put in a big bowl of water and then ozonated thoroughly for at least 15 minutes. This not only clears 99.9% of pesticide residues, but also 'freshens' up the veggies so they taste better and last longer.

You need to purchase an ozone generator specially for the purpose. This is not the same as an air purifier. If you value your health, it'll be the best value for money you ever spent.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, JWRC said:

I do the same, vinegar and water, and like you use Vinegar for cleaning, does a great job on glass.

I thought the vinegar was anti-bactiarial? Does it actually do anything against the chemicals used on vegetables apart from the fact it's a liquid and will wash them of the surface? It could possibly make them more toxic!

50 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I'd have to do more research bit I'd say washing or soaking does little to remove the pesticides absorbed into the internal tissues of the vegetables. Sure will remove some of the residue pesticides left on the surface but not the previous applications absorbed as the plant grew prior to picking. I'd be curious if anyone can find further info about this and post.

This is the only truth and so funny that anybody not totally stupid could believe in anything else !

22 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

You surely MUST wash any veggies you buy in Thailand, including the so-called 'organic' ones.

We grow most of our own veggies and they are 100% organic, but for the few purchased in supermarkets and local markets everything gets put in a big bowl of water and then ozonated thoroughly for at least 15 minutes. This not only clears 99.9% of pesticide residues, but also 'freshens' up the veggies so they taste better and last longer.

You need to purchase an ozone generator specially for the purpose. This is not the same as an air purifier. If you value your health, it'll be the best value for money you ever spent.

How can someone like you supposed to know what he is talking about, say something so ridiculous ?! you really think that your ozonbllsht will clean inside the vegetables ?! how ridiculous ?!

51 minutes ago, Dolmance said:

Vinegar kills bacteria, but it does not get rid of any toxins already created by said bacteria, and it will not do anything to get rid of pesticide residue, beyond simple rinsing.

Best to get organic, though I suspect a lot of what's labeled 'organic' isn't really organic at all.  Not in the US, and certainly not here in Thailand.

A lot of people scoff at the notion of 'organic,' or identify it with partisan politics.  I haven't the time to worry about people who want to play games with their health, but I feel very badly for their children, or anyone under their care who isn't being given a choice.

Aside from that, organic foods taste better than non organic foods.  America feeds it's people like animals on a factory farm, and it's killing them, and it doesn't even taste good. 

And I got to tell you, though it's part of the organic/inorganic topic, but staying away from rice, especially in a place where rice is so ubiquitous is one of the best things you can do for your health.  You might as well be eating its weight in pure sugar, though it's better than Americans swilling corn syrup, which is a big part of Americans nearly all corn diet.  Ugh. 

Not only rice. Eating any carbs is purely idiot.

Carbs were made and used because people had not enough money to eat protein. Eating carbs in 2019 is just a stupid habit, being rice, pasta or bread or cereals !

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Blue Muton said:

Well Bullie is a bit out of touch. Malt vinegar is quite hard to find and has largely been replaced by an ersatz "non-brewed condiment".

https://metro.co.uk/2016/07/26/the-vinegar-youre-using-at-fish-and-chip-shops-isnt-really-vinegar-6030451/

Aside from chips, most English people do not put vinegar on their food.

Fish and chip consumption has been declining over the last few decades, being replaced by chicken, burgers and kebabs, the number of fish and chip shops in the UK has fallen from around 35,000 to fewer than 10,000.

In conclusion, perhaps the opposite is true, perhaps the fall in the use of vinegar is responsible for English people dying sooner?

This English man uses Apple Cider vinegar and Balsamic, the clear chemical stuff for cleaning get a 5ltr can for under €3.

30 minutes ago, adammike said:

This English man uses Apple Cider vinegar and Balsamic, the clear chemical stuff for cleaning get a 5ltr can for under €3.

The vinegar under discussion, and that which English people refer to simply as "vinegar" is traditional malt vinegar, as used in days gone by in local chippies across the land. 

13 hours ago, jaffas21 said:

He also recommends soaking produce in a mixture using half a tablespoon of baking soda and 10 liters of water. This method apparently removes up to 95 percent of chemicals."

My Mrs. does exactly this. If it doesn't help, it doesn't harm.

30 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

If I have survived to age 76, I think I will stop worrying about what pesticides can do to me. I'm more worried about women.

We are all gonna die.

Personally Id rather buy the farm in Lol-itas after a steak pig out at Fogo Asia, perhaps stopping for a cheesecake dessert somewhere on the way, then die on a jogging track after a lunch of spirulina and heirloom organic watercress, that I spent two hours rinsing, ozoneating and running through the Mass Spectometer to check for heavy metal contamination

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

We are all gonna die.

Personally Id rather buy the farm in Lol-itas after a steak pig out at Fogo Asia, perhaps stopping for a cheesecake dessert somewhere on the way, then die on a jogging track after a lunch of spirulina and heirloom organic watercress, that I spent two hours rinsing, ozoneating and running through the Mass Spectometer to check for heavy metal contamination

As Harry Potter said to (the dead) Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 

"Is this real or is it just happening in my head ?"

I believe that the response was something like "Just because it is happening in your head does not mean that it is not real".

You must be able to relate to that Nyezhov.

7 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

As Harry Potter said to (the dead) Dumbledore in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 

"Is this real or is it just happening in my head ?"

I believe that the response was something like "Just because it is happening in your head does not mean that it is not real".

You must be able to relate to that Nyezhov.

Sorry dude, IM too old to relate to Harry Potter as a source of my weltanshauung. 

• Haha 1

pesticides and vegetables is a big concern for the thais.  they are so concerned about it, they will avoid the vegetable section of all the markets when a scare is spreading like wildfire through the local thai news.  no joke.

I have seen the morning glory sections in tesco lotus and big C untouched for days because of a scare.

so, what do I do where cooking at home with store bought vegies are concerned?  I use st. andrews fruit and vegetable washing liquid when washing my fruits and vegetables.  39 baht a bottle.  I buy mine at foodland.  seen it at the maxvalue stores.  google it for an image of what the bottle looks like.

in my opinion, anybody here in thailand that washes their vegetables with just tap water is ignorant of the dangers.  anybody who eats unwashed vegetables thinking the dirt and all will be killed by the cooking process is crazy.

14 hours ago, Oxx said:

He (or someone else) appears to be simply making up random "facts".  The effectiveness of washing varies with the vegetable and pesticide concerned.  Sometimes it can remove more than 95% of residue.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3907644/

Yeah personally view is use a pesticide and its inside the fruit or vegetable anyway cleaning doesn't do any good if its a banana grown using pesticide with shellfish in it. I guess its not thought about much that pesticides must be inside as well. They are absorbed. but everyone says you can wash them off. Sadly i dont think thats true.

13 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

The problem with many of these pesiticides is that they are not just carcinogenic, but mutagenic.

Thats right folks, they not only can cause cancer, but mutate your genes.

The latter is not necessarily bad, I can live with a mutation, after all having a prehensile penis does come in handy for things like cooking and toenail clipping, but would suck if the mutation was not useful, like the bloodshot eyeball on the bottom of my left foot.

Has anyone tried the Asparagus around town? 

Have decided not to try any asparagus no more now that I learned about your dingaling.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

We are all gonna die.

Classic American. There was one in our condo who ate McDonald's exclusively, and pegged out after lapsing into a coma after his entire digestive system backed up. He had s##t coming out his nostrils.

Me, I'd rather go out with an enthusiastic woman urging me on to greater effort. At least it will be quick, and I'll die with a smile on my face.

I prefer Anodic Stripping Voltammetry for heavy metal measurement, but we all have our foibles.

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

wash them in vinegar for around 5 minutes.

then add baking soda and soak for 10 minutes.

then sit in ice cold water for around 5 minutes

and then repeat into the vinegar for 3 minutes.

rinse under the tap for 2-3 minutes.

rinse again and scrub for a couple of minutes.

Vegetables should be completely free by this time and ready to cook ….

however,   everyone has farked off now and gone to get take away's because you took too long   !!

And there you go still contaminating the vegetables with tap water.

6 hours ago, owenm said:

My GF has a habit of ALWAYS soaking vegetables as well as fresh meat products in a water solution with half a teaspoon of SALT for about 20 min. It will rid most of the outside pesticides and any crawlies that may have contaminated the meat.. We all know that meat sold in local markets can be stored in less than ideal conditions.. 

I'd rather eat meat from the daily markets. The meat is 'per definition' always sold out the same day and next day there is new bringing.

Prefer that over some smelly counters as in many supermarkets.

3 hours ago, plfomylo said:

Not only rice. Eating any carbs is purely idiot.

Carbs were made and used because people had not enough money to eat protein. Eating carbs in 2019 is just a stupid habit, being rice, pasta or bread or cereals !

Duh, missionary man/woman. Carbs grow in nature. Funny coincidence. 

• Like 1