Toxic Bangkok air has Bt700-800m healthcare price: K-Research

webfact

Toxic Bangkok air has Bt700-800m healthcare price: K-Research

By The Nation

800_e4b1fd6d2048351.jpg?v=1569904092

As Bangkok residents prepare for another winter of toxic air, a Kasikorn Research Centre (K-Research) report on Tuesday warned of the monetary cost of the pollution.

A preliminary estimate by K-Research found the opportunity cost to the health of those affected by Bangkok pollution will reach Bt700-800 million if the situation persist for the two weeks of September 28 through October 12.

Additional impacts on tourism and related businesses as not yet clear, according to the Centre.

Citing data from Aqicn.org, K-Research estimated that the air pollution could escalate to be more serious than was experienced earlier this year.

According to the report, on September 30 the PM2.5 level in some areas of Bangkok reached 202 micrograms per cubic metre (µg/m3).

Emissions from vehicles combining with stagnant area has resulted in several areas of greater Bangkok remaining covered in a fine PM2.5 particulate dust, the report noted.

The World Health Organisation sets the safety limit of PM2.5 at 25µg/m3, while Thailand doubles the safety limit to 50µg/m3.

K-Research said they would monitor the situation and regularly update their estimates.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376929

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-01

2 hours ago, unamazedloso said:

Dont worry. They banned the ability to smoke in your home, but you can burn down the whole country, and people can just deal with it, which seems to be the mentality....

I posted "Sad" but would have posted HaHa if what you said wasn't so sad, so serious AND SO CORRECT!!! 

P.S.  And I am NOT a smoker, either!!!

3 hours ago, webfact said:

As Bangkok residents prepare for another winter of toxic air, a Kasikorn Research Centre (K-Research) report on Tuesday warned of the monetary cost of the pollution.

But not for the government so expect sod all to happen any time soon.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

And as always, only Bangkok, why not calculate the costs for the whole of Thailand? It would be a great nightmare, the weapons of war remain in any case more important than the people!
Congratulation General Prayut and friends!

Just come back from a trip to SHENZHEN and Dongguan in China, heavily industrialized but air seemed much cleaner than Bangkok (or Hong Kong which I also visited).

They have substituted almost all petrol motorcycles for electric ones and many electric vehicles with vast recharging infrastructure. Consequently traffic noise and air pollution minimized. Very pleasant even to walk around.

The Huawei R and D campus for 20000 staff, built like European cities with two tram lines, lakes etc was breathtaking. Big emphasis on the environment now, although this area has been a major polluter in the past.

So when are the authorities gonna introduce low emission zones & congestion charging as they do in other countries, London being one of the main area ??

And then be really radical and provide electric bikes for hire or other ways to get around the capitol that don't pollute ?

Sorry I just remembered where I was.

On a brighter note all the dinosaurs in government might just keel over when their lungs are full of carp ????

1 hour ago, Classic Ray said:

Just come back from a trip to SHENZHEN and Dongguan in China, heavily industrialized but air seemed much cleaner than Bangkok (or Hong Kong which I also visited).

Not quite right now, Sparky!

859986106_2019-10-0117_09_54.jpg.68fb15f2ed198f22b1d06718fa008888.jpg

Although taking the average PM2.5 readings for all of 2018, Shenzhen and BKK are pretty darned closed to each other, both in the 24-25 mcg average range, which is right at the WHO limit.

434658350_2019-10-0117_16_20.jpg.43c121c8f8e70c6e01a80306bcc761ec.jpg

46 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

So when are the authorities gonna introduce low emission zones & congestion charging as they do in other countries, London being one of the main area ??

And then be really radical and provide electric bikes for hire or other ways to get around the capitol that don't pollute ?

Sorry I just remembered where I was.

On a brighter note all the dinosaurs in government might just keel over when their lungs are full of carp ????

Too late now. The air pollution damage can never be undone again....

24 minutes ago, kellersphuket said:

I'm still in Bangkok & I can feel it in the mornings.

These last few days I have felt like I smoked 20 camel the night before.

Really clogging my lungs now!!!

U obviously haven't taken the necessary required precautions for staying in Thailand!

57088942_2019-10-0118_00_55.jpg.c39b708b68ec5fa8068d497811aa856d.jpg

12 minutes ago, elgenon said:

When I tell my friends of the Bangkok pollution, they ask me why it is polluted. I missed this part. So why is Bangkok polluted please?

I don't remember Bangkok pollution before last year.

Crop waste burning from Thailand, Cambodia on top of usual industrial and motor exhaust. Last week there was also smoke coming from forest fire in Indonesia. 

9 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

Crop waste burning from Thailand, Cambodia on top of usual industrial and motor exhaust. Last week there was also smoke coming from forest fire in Indonesia. 

Thanks. I guess the same old stuff, just worse.

Archived