Crossing Into Mynamar

almarg3088

Following on that last post, we are also going up that way and did so in 2004 quite safely.

I note that it is possible to go into Myanmar with one of the tour companies we used then as part of a day trip, but am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to get a Visa at Mae Sai and go over the border to a market and just a quick look.

I also note that it may be possible to go into Laos to check out a museum near the border of Thailand as part of a day trip and wonder if that can also be done without a tour companies involvement

Is there anywhere I can find this info out if nobody on here is aware of the possibilities

Thanks

If you just want to go over the border several hundred yards to the market from Mae Sai, that's a 'border run' or a visa run, and you don't need a tour group. I've done it several times alone. In fact, the last time I did it with a tour group, the guide stayed behind as usual, and I led a nice Maori family into Myanmar.

As for going inland into Myanmar or Laos, I don't know.

If you just want to go over the border several hundred yards to the market from Mae Sai, that's a 'border run' or a visa run, and you don't need a tour group. I've done it several times alone. In fact, the last time I did it with a tour group, the guide stayed behind as usual, and I led a nice Maori family into Myanmar.

As for going inland into Myanmar or Laos, I don't know.

Thanks for the advice. I think with Laos, I was referring to a boat trip around the GT which stops off at a market in Laos, where I understand you can spend a buck without the need for a visa.

I ... am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to get a Visa at Mae Sai and go over the border to a market and just a quick look.

yes, you can go into Myanmar by yourself.

There is a schedule of fees posted at the Myanmar border crossing.

The main supervisor there speaks good English. You pay a certain amount (in thai baht) depending on how many days you want to stay in Myanmar.

You are restricted to certain areas in the north.

You cannot go to Yangon from TaChiLek.

My experience is that there is nothing to do in Burma (at least this part) except visiting the Buddhist monuments and a little shopping under the bridge at Mae Sai.

There are no good restaurants.

The only reason I can imagine anyone would want to stay in Northern longer than the one-day visa run is to visit the gem mining areas or some other sort of professional business.

sarpesius

Edited by sarpesius

You can go yourself, and you don't even need to go into Burma, just the immigration check point. They will ask you if you are going in or straight back to Thailand.

Thanks everybody for your advice. It is nice to know that there are so many people out there to assist.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
I ... am wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to get a Visa at Mae Sai and go over the border to a market and just a quick look.

The main supervisor there speaks good English. You pay a certain amount (in thai baht) depending on how many days you want to stay in Myanmar.

My experience is that there is nothing to do in Burma (at least this part) except visiting the Buddhist monuments and a little shopping under the bridge at Mae Sai.

The only reason I can imagine anyone would want to stay in Northern longer than the one-day visa run is to visit the gem mining areas or some other sort of professional business.

sarpesius

What gem mining are you refering too?

Is it in Thailand or Burma?

I will be in the area next month.

Thank you,

Mike

i did the visa run in mai sai also and i am just wondering if you go into burma you pay 500 thb but what if before that point you turn around and go back into thailand will there be a problem ? saves you 500

regards,

Bram

sarpesius

Thank you,

Mike

i did the visa run in mai sai also and i am just wondering if you go into burma you pay 500 thb but what if before that point you turn around and go back into thailand will there be a problem ? saves you 500

regards,

Bram

sarpesius

Thank you,

Mike

This is probably more info than you need, but if you want to go further into Burma, you need to get a visa in advance from the Embassy/Consulate and cross one of the international crossing points (Or go via Mandalay/Yangon, etc). You can fly to Mandalay from Chiang Mai quite cheaply.

If getting a visa from the Embassy/Consulate is difficult for you, I can give you the address of an agency which fixed me up with a visa on arrival for a small extra amount on top of the already substantial visa fee.

Not true. You can get a 14 day visa in Tachilek that allows you to travel to Kyiang Tong and Mong Lar. You can't go anywhere else and you have to exit Myanmar at Tachilek, but a visa in advance is definitely not required.

regards,

Bram

sarpesius

Thank you,

Mike

If you go back before you pay your 500B then you won`t have your entry and exit stamps from Myanmar. If you don`t have them you will be stranded in no mans land. The Thais will not let you back in until you obtain them.

Are you sure you`ve done visa runs before? :o

yes off curse i did the runs before but i was just wondering what if ...

but it is clear now that what i was thinking will not work

regards,

Bram

sarpesius

Thank you,

Mike

If you go back before you pay your 500B then you won`t have your entry and exit stamps from Myanmar. If you don`t have them you will be stranded in no mans land. The Thais will not let you back in until you obtain them.

Are you sure you`ve done visa runs before? :o

Thank you,

Mike

There is gem mining in Thailand and Burma .. much more in Burma as most of the Thai mines (kanchanaburi and Chantaburi areas) are played out. The primary Burmese mining areas are Mogok (quality) and Mong Hsu (quantity). Much of the Mong Hsu rough comes into Mae Sai and is displayed openly in the rough gem market, the next main street east of the main highway. Most all Mong Hsu needs to be heat treated (actually, most all ruby is heated, maybe 98% and the rest, if it's any good, is VERY expensive).. which is another potential layer of fraud / theft / loss.

Chantaburi has a large cut-gem market from Friday to Sunday. It's easy to find, near the bridge.

For Mogok (and certainly not all Mogok is top gem), you might have trouble getting into Burma and if you make an 'illegal' buy, you very well may have it taken away from you at the border. Better to go to Mae Sot at the Thai hotel arcade in the town center. Most of what I saw there was jungle cut.

But for any .. KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Synthetics are prolific. 'Wholesale' is touted, but .. um .. elusive.

Edited by klikster