Give Me Some Advice Please

almarg3088

I have visited the north of Thailand once before and did the tourist traps, but now want to see a bit more of the real Thailand.

Is it worth hiring a car and trolling around to the various spots and towns and getting accomodation on the run?

I will have three women with me who are a bit adventurous and we just want to have a great time and see what is really worth seeing as it might unfortunately, be our last trip to this wonderful country.

Can anyone please advise as the posts on this site are really helpful in one respect, but just serve to confuse us with their tips.

If there is 4 of you then hiring a car is easy as you can share the driving.

A drive to Mae Hong Son would be an adventure and stops at Pai & MHS enjoyable.

Lots of great country and mountains (Doi Tung Swiss Gardens) around C Rai town.

Look at Google Earth and plan a journey using 45 Kms per hour as your average distance, unless your on the

highways, which is pointless in your case.

10 $ US would get u into Myanmar per person so long as u get out the same day. Don't recommend it, as there are plenty of Burmese people in Mae Sai :D

Once you've seen one rice paddy you've seen them all :o

hiring a car ,i think, is the best way to see any part of thailand.

having your own transport means you can go where you want to go, and see what you want to see.

take any road that you think looks interesting.

there are many places,roads around c/rai that aren't on the tour companies lists. a suzuki 4wd gives you the freedom to get off road, not serious off roading, but dirt roads that just spike your interest.

i have found a lot of places by doing just that. there is a lot to see outside of the tour co's itineraries.

also the chance to meet real people. the people who aren't part of the tour companies package.

hire a car,pick a direction, and take off. north or n/east would be my suggestion. out to wards phaya maengrai, and explore. there is a lot to see. depending on what type of thing you want to see of course.

but for natural beauty and unseen thailand. hiring a car is the way to go.

it's not dangerous, and as said above, you also get to meet some nice people away from the tourist areas.

If there is 4 of you then hiring a car is easy as you can share the driving.

A drive to Mae Hong Son would be an adventure and stops at Pai & MHS enjoyable.

Lots of great country and mountains (Doi Tung Swiss Gardens) around C Rai town.

Look at Google Earth and plan a journey using 45 Kms per hour as your average distance, unless your on the

highways, which is pointless in your case.

10 $ US would get u into Myanmar per person so long as u get out the same day. Don't recommend it, as there are plenty of Burmese people in Mae Sai :D

You are right about the rice paddies, but thanks for your advice and I will look seriously at doing what you suggest.

Alan

hiring a car ,i think, is the best way to see any part of thailand.

having your own transport means you can go where you want to go, and see what you want to see.

take any road that you think looks interesting.

there are many places,roads around c/rai that aren't on the tour companies lists. a suzuki 4wd gives you the freedom to get off road, not serious off roading, but dirt roads that just spike your interest.

i have found a lot of places by doing just that. there is a lot to see outside of the tour co's itineraries.

also the chance to meet real people. the people who aren't part of the tour companies package.

hire a car,pick a direction, and take off. north or n/east would be my suggestion. out to wards phaya maengrai, and explore. there is a lot to see. depending on what type of thing you want to see of course.

but for natural beauty and unseen thailand. hiring a car is the way to go.

it's not dangerous, and as said above, you also get to meet some nice people away from the tourist areas.

Thanks Brad for your advice. Can you also advise if it is feasible and cost effective to stay in hotels that you find out there and also are they of reasonable standards and safe to stay in?

Be advised that they drive on the left here...so Americans and Europeans might want to consider if they can make the transition safely.....I would definitely not recommend driving in Bangkok as a first experience in driving in Thailand.

Chownah

Then maybe the difference is in perspective.

A few months back I decided to drive the road along the river from Chiang Saen to Chiang Khong. I highly recommend it .. not much traffic and lots of nice river scenery that includes the massive rock formations in the river just north of Chiang Khong.

You should pass a coffee house right on the river bank. It may be more of a resort by now. They were building some really nice looking small bungalows along the slope down toward the water.

They had some additional bungalows across the road .. across a rice paddy. A wooden platform style walkway leads a couple of hundred meters across and just above the rice. Quite a unique and fragrant experience.

The place was unique in another manner. Instead of the default manicure flower gardens, they had manicured organic vegetable gardens.

BTW, the coffee was quite good.

BTW2 .. after seeing all those big rock formations in the river, I am convinced of the possibility of underwater caves (where giant catfish are supposed to live and spawn) .. although I doubt the caves are gold.

BTW3 .. another good option where 4 persons are involved .. get a van and driver.

A few months back I decided to drive the road along the river from Chiang Saen to Chiang Khong. I highly recommend it .. not much traffic and lots of nice river scenery that includes the massive rock formations in the river just north of Chiang Khong.

You should pass a coffee house right on the river bank. It may be more of a resort by now. They were building some really nice looking small bungalows along the slope down toward the water.

They had some additional bungalows across the road .. across a rice paddy. A wooden platform style walkway leads a couple of hundred meters across and just above the rice. Quite a unique and fragrant experience.

The place was unique in another manner. Instead of the default manicure flower gardens, they had manicured organic vegetable gardens.

BTW2 .. after seeing all those big rock formations in the river, I am convinced of the possibility of underwater caves (where giant catfish are supposed to live and spawn) .. although I doubt the caves are gold.

BTW3 .. another good option where 4 persons are involved .. get a van and driver.

I did this when 4 friends arrived a couple of years ago, hired a van and driver at one of the places near the Wang Come hotel for 1500B a day. Bear in mind the driver is poorly paid out of this and relies on tips.

I did this when 4 friends arrived a couple of years ago, hired a van and driver at one of the places near the Wang Come hotel for 1500B a day. Bear in mind the driver is poorly paid out of this and relies on tips.

Thanks again and at the risk of stretching the friendship a bit, cna anyone offer a name of a company or individual in Chiang Rai or the immediate area who hires out vehicles and drivers.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...

Got this information from the Chiang Mai forum

http://www.budget.co.th/pdfs/worldclass_golden_eng.pdf

Contains rather detailed maps of destinations if you are travelling by private car.

I have visited the north of Thailand once before and did the tourist traps, but now want to see a bit more of the real Thailand.

Is it worth hiring a car and trolling around to the various spots and towns and getting accomodation on the run?

I will have three women with me who are a bit adventurous and we just want to have a great time and see what is really worth seeing as it might unfortunately, be our last trip to this wonderful country.

Can anyone please advise as the posts on this site are really helpful in one respect, but just serve to confuse us with their tips.

[

Thanks again and at the risk of stretching the friendship a bit, cna anyone offer a name of a company or individual in Chiang Rai or the immediate area who hires out vehicles and drivers.

Alan

hello alan

if you are coming to chaingrai in the near future (ie the next six weeks ) the children will still be on school holidays so you will have no trouble getting a mini bus and driver. from my area alone there are at least 10 mini buses a day ferry the school children back and forth to chaingrai when the schools are open.

if you get stuck just pm me and i will sort one out for you

Haved lived in C. Rai for 3 years and the only way to see the North is by car! As to a driver you really dont need one unless you are useless with maps and afraid of the roads - the majority of roads here are excellent both in their condition and markings. There are many reasonable hotels and guest houses in C. Rai and the whole province - if you let me know your budget I can make some recommendations. I can also get you a toyota 4 door for 800 bhat a day, which is a great deal for here.

• 2 weeks later...
Haved lived in C. Rai for 3 years and the only way to see the North is by car! As to a driver you really dont need one unless you are useless with maps and afraid of the roads - the majority of roads here are excellent both in their condition and markings. There are many reasonable hotels and guest houses in C. Rai and the whole province - if you let me know your budget I can make some recommendations. I can also get you a toyota 4 door for 800 bhat a day, which is a great deal for here.

Thanks flifsh and soap.

I don't mind driving but thought it would be better to have an english speaking local to wheel and deal for us when we are out and about, as we are hopeless at Thai, but at least try.

We will be on a typical tourist budget and already have accomodation booked in Chiang Rai, but would like to do a couple of day trips around the area and the GT and Mae Sai.

I will do a quick check on the net for available cars with driver/guides and will get back to you if things don't work out from here.

Thanks again to you both.

Alan