Aircon unit "pulsing"

JaiMaai

The fan of the indoor unit is pulsing on and off with a frequency of about 2 or 3 seconds. Other than that, it sounds normal with just the sound of the moving air. There are no rattles, whines or squeals.

The air is cold and seems to be otherwise working normally. Will probably get it checked out anyway but any ideas?

31 minutes ago, johng said:

Possibly the "cage fan"clogged up with mould and dust.

Yes, when the fan gets coated with crud it causes it to fluctuate.  First step would be to get the unit cleaned .....about 450 baht.

21 hours ago, Denim said:

Yes, when the fan gets coated with crud it causes it to fluctuate.  First step would be to get the unit cleaned .....about 450 baht.

Ha, they charge me 600 for cleaning and wont come unless I have 2 units to clean. Many years ago use to charge 400.

First thing to do is lift the front panel up and see if the filters are plugged up with dust.  If so take them out and wash them.  It's best to check/clean them once a month.  If the coil behind them is dirty too best to get someone to clean the unit.  I have mine done twice a year.

1 hour ago, RBOP said:

Ha, they charge me 600 for cleaning and wont come unless I have 2 units to clean. Many years ago use to charge 400.

I guess my guy will be putting his price up soon then. We used to pay more in Bangkok but cheaper here.

Could just be your filter which you should clean every two weeks or so. It takes two minutes. Try that. But if that does not help get a simple cleaning. Usually 500 baht or so. I get my units cleaned every six months and clean the filter every two weeks. No reason to breathe in all that dust. 

I have exactly the same problem with my Daikin. I'm not planning to fix it; too many problems. I'll buy a Mitsu next time. My solution is to push down the bottom vane with a finger.

The whole air conditioner is clean, I do it myself twice a year (water spray).

Some units show error codes. At my older Daikin I have to press at the remote control the cancel button until it makes a long beep and then the cancel button again and again to go through all error codes until it beeps again. The error codes are shown at the temperature display of the remote control. This is then the error code. The unit doesn't need to run for this and the last error code is saved as long as it has power (not switched off at the circuit breaker). Perhaps your system has something similar. It helped me a lot to find a problem at my aircon - had 3 service companies here and they didn't know /try this... Google was my friend. 

18 hours ago, Jan Dietz said:

Sure your fan speed isn't set to 'variable'? toggle through the options

Our Samsung has this mode, not sure what it's exact purpose is but it annoys the heck out of Madam.

On 10/6/2019 at 3:38 PM, Beggar said:

Some units show error codes. At my older Daikin I have to press at the remote control the cancel button until it makes a long beep and then the cancel button again and again to go through all error codes until it beeps again. The error codes are shown at the temperature display of the remote control. This is then the error code. The unit doesn't need to run for this and the last error code is saved as long as it has power (not switched off at the circuit breaker). Perhaps your system has something similar. It helped me a lot to find a problem at my aircon - had 3 service companies here and they didn't know /try this... Google was my friend. 

As I wrote earlier, I had the same problem as JaiMaai for the past two years. I knew it had nothing to do with cleaning.

I tried your solution with the Cancel button... It works!

Thank you.

On 10/6/2019 at 3:38 PM, Beggar said:

Thanks.

I'll check this out if the problem is still there when I'm next at the in-laws' place.

Archived