Non O multi based on marriage first extension question

Hi 

wondered if somebody could just clear up a couple of questions regarding the Visa I have attached.

I am looking to do yearly extensions based on Marriage next year.

1. If I enter Thailand on say the 19th April next year will I still be granted 90 days even though the Visa runs out on the 24th April ?

2. If the above is granted, is it ok to season the 400,000 2 months before the end of 90 days that are granted, even though the original Visa date would have expired ?

3. Or does the 400,000 need to be seasoned 2 months before the Visa expiry date ?

4. Are there any stipulations on leaving the 400,000 in the bank after the yearly extension is granted ?

Many Thanks

Jason 

DDB15EC3-20D7-4C44-AC41-8832876F404D.jpeg

1. Yes

2. Once you are in the country your visas expiration date means nothing since you are extending your 90 day permit to stay from it not the visa. You can apply for the one year extension of stay during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from your visa.

The 400k baht needs to be in the bank for at least 2 months on the day you apply for the extension of stay.

3. No

4. After you get the one year extension of stay stamp you can do whatever you want with the 400k baht.

22 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

My position is very similar to yours but I prefer to keep getting the 1 yr non O's. Isn't it  a load of hassle to apply for the extension of stay?

Not in my opinion. I am on my 12th one based upon marriage.

Better than making border runs every 90 days and a trip to a embassy or consulate every year.

30 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

My position is very similar to yours but I prefer to keep getting the 1 yr non O's. Isn't it  a load of hassle to apply for the extension of stay?

The problem I see with the extension is timing, a extension would work with a Multi-re-entry permit as a substitute for the non-O ME, but they don't process them quick enough apparently. If you have to wait `till day 60 to apply, then there is at least a 30 day waiting period, seems difficult to co-ordinate if flying back on day 80 to home country. 

(Still 67 days I will be here this time, longest trip yet ???? )

The sources for multi-entry visa's seem to be drying up. Not ideal having to apply for a visa, every time we go back to the UK. Maybe I can squeeze another ME visa from HCMC next year, but it's like panto since the e-visa arrived in the UK...

The other thing is the exchange rate, the £ needs to get up a bit, or at least bottom out, for the proportion of income I send here to do extensions ongoing. Income in the UK is no problem for 40k a month, but its a test of you SWIFTing ability now, for what can be reconized.

Oh and then arranging a witness, no Idea about sorting that....

Then a home visit perhaps, maybe a 1 in 3 chance of the wife not being at work, if they want to come and play with the son's train set..

Does seem to be a bit of a hassle, but not impossible I suppose.

Edited by UKresonant
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Not in my opinion. I am on my 12th one based upon marriage.

Better than making border runs every 90 days and a trip to a embassy or consulate every year.

Fine if you live full time in Thailand, it's obviously the best option and what it is meant for.

Unfortunately, for a lot of people still working overseas/off shore, it's not possible to get and therefore the 1yr multiple entry Non Imm O is the only option whilst they are still issuing them !!

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Jeff said:

I would prefer to keep applying in London as I do flick back and forward, but I believe the “Multi entry Non O” is not being issued anymore in London if I’m not mistaken ??

3 hours ago, jasonr3255 said:

4. Are there any stipulations on leaving the 400,000 in the bank after the yearly extension is granted ?

No, that's right, not after the yearly extension is _granted_, but that's not the same day that you apply for the extension.

For thai dependent visas (wife/child), if all your paperwork passes on the day you apply, you're initially given a 28-day visa, and then after 28 days you go back to get the stamp for the remaining 11 months (theoretically, the 28-days is supposed to be time during which they investigate your claims, interview ppl in your soi, etc to verify your documentation).

I've done these extensions quite a few times now, but the last one was different. I was told that as well as proving the 400k in the bank on the day of application (the usual routine) I also had to prove it AGAIN when I go to collect the full stamp in 28 days. I've never been asked to do that before; I don't know if it's a universal 'new' rule, just a Bangkok rule (this was at Chaeng Wattana) or just a "kon piset" rule especially for me.????‍♂️

They said the second check would require just the bank book update and photocopy of the relevant bank book pages (no need for the additional guarantee letter that you also need for the first check). I'll find out when I go next week whether they actually require that check for real or if it was just a capricious comment by the officer on the day I went.

You just never know with IM what's going to happen, why it's happening, or whether it's happening for all, some or no one but you!!

Thankfully, this will be my last year here, fingers crossed.

edit: on the good side, I will say they have markedly improved their efficiency since last time I went. They got through the numbers so fast that by the time I'd gone and got the letter from the bank I'd already missed my queue (no 27) and they made me get another one. The new ticket was 68, and I was still out of there by 11am. Nice to be able to say, for once: good work IM! 

Edited by longevity
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, jasonr3255 said:

I would prefer to keep applying in London as I do flick back and forward, but I believe the “Multi entry Non O” is not being issued anymore in London if I’m not mistaken ??

Go to a consulate close to Thailand and get one. Savannakhet is ok. Take the missus for a mini holiday.

9 hours ago, longevity said:

No, that's right, not after the yearly extension is _granted_, but that's not the same day that you apply for the extension.

For thai dependent visas (wife/child), if all your paperwork passes on the day you apply, you're initially given a 28-day visa, and then after 28 days you go back to get the stamp for the remaining 11 months (theoretically, the 28-days is supposed to be time during which they investigate your claims, interview ppl in your soi, etc to verify your documentation).

I've done these extensions quite a few times now, but the last one was different. I was told that as well as proving the 400k in the bank on the day of application (the usual routine) I also had to prove it AGAIN when I go to collect the full stamp in 28 days. I've never been asked to do that before; I don't know if it's a universal 'new' rule, just a Bangkok rule (this was at Chaeng Wattana) or just a "kon piset" rule especially for me.????‍♂️

They said the second check would require just the bank book update and photocopy of the relevant bank book pages (no need for the additional guarantee letter that you also need for the first check). I'll find out when I go next week whether they actually require that check for real or if it was just a capricious comment by the officer on the day I went.

You just never know with IM what's going to happen, why it's happening, or whether it's happening for all, some or no one but you!!

Thankfully, this will be my last year here, fingers crossed.

edit: on the good side, I will say they have markedly improved their efficiency since last time I went. They got through the numbers so fast that by the time I'd gone and got the letter from the bank I'd already missed my queue (no 27) and they made me get another one. The new ticket was 68, and I was still out of there by 11am. Nice to be able to say, for once: good work IM! 

my last marriage extension this year in February, Rayong immigration wouldn't accept my bank letter/statement from 3:30 in the afternoon the previous day so had to go to Ban Chang to get another letter which they did for free even though my branch is Ban Phe. immigration is open at 8am and my bank 9:30, it just seems like the last 2 years they are deliberately trying to <deleted> people off.

22 minutes ago, sandrabbit said:

they did for free even though my branch is Ban Phe. 

Hang on. I opened my Thai bank account in Bangkok but am planning to get the letter for extension based on marriage in Ubon because that is the immigration office nearest me. Please tell me that they won't tell me to go to Bangkok!

9 hours ago, SteveK said:

Hang on. I opened my Thai bank account in Bangkok but am planning to get the letter for extension based on marriage in Ubon because that is the immigration office nearest me. Please tell me that they won't tell me to go to Bangkok!

I can confirm that a Bangkok Bank branch will do one. Got one for my account that was set up in Pattaya years ago in August.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I can confirm that a Bangkok Bank branch will do one. Got one for my account that was set up in Pattaya years ago in August.

Yes BB will. But not at a sub branch in a shopping mall. I've had the run around over that. You need to go to a/ main branch in the city. Even then the main branch in Kalasin got the letter wrong! But the main branch in Sakhon Nakhon, where I did the extensions got it right.