As haze season nears, Prawit cracks whip in North

snoop1130

As haze season nears, Prawit cracks whip in North 

By The Nation

800_d7c42b6f7375f65.jpg

Prawit Wongsuwan

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan and Natural Resources and Environment Minister Varawut Silpa-archa were in Chiang Mai on Thursday (October 10) to give provincial governors and state agency officials a pep-talk in preparation for another agonising season of forest fires and haze.

The North suffers perennial choking smog from February to April, and Prawit said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha was again fretting over the impact on people’s health.

He said the Environment Ministry would take the lead in coordinating with neighbouring countries and related local authorities to monitor the fire problem both in and outside Thailand.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377286

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-10

the "really real" solutions to this are something even Extinction Rebellion cannot directly discuss without losing 9/10th's of it's ranks in 2 minutes.   so they are passing it along to future 'citizen assemblies' to do that.  which they won't either.  

so on this we will endlessly talk about 'other countries' and 'uneducated farmers'. 

but what if stuff is burning more easily than before, even in this 2nd year of really good rain..... as opposed to 2015/2016 [gulp] ?
for example, July 2019 was the hottest month ever recorded.  as if it were 2015 and 2016 when every month was a new record.

50 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

He said the Environment Ministry would take the lead in coordinating with neighbouring countries and related local authorities to monitor the fire problem both in and outside Thailand.

Yes, they're very good at "monitoring"...  But actually "doing" or "enforcing," not so much...

2 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan 

Also know as Mr Idontknow , is wasting his breath if he thinks that people are going to start listening to any government initiatives. 

There will be pollution and bad air , PM Canute will visit and order the pollution dealt with by which time next years rainy season will start and the problem will go away until the next cycle begins.

3 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Just monitor? Like check the numbers on pm2.5 meter once a day? Why not DO something about it?

Two pages of whinging over a problem that has existed for years before this government came into power.

So how yould you solve the problem if you were PM? Other than accumulating the hot air from whingy falangs and blowing the smoke away. Come on boys, solve it...practical solutions...

17 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

Two pages of whinging over a problem that has existed for years before this government came into power.

So how yould you solve the problem if you were PM? Other than accumulating the hot air from whingy falangs and blowing the smoke away. Come on boys, solve it...practical solutions...

Are you for real?

3 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

Are you for real?

I havent decided yet. Folks alwys ask me that and Im very ambivelant about it. On one hand, I accept my corporeal existence de facto and de jure, but even my acceptance and those concepts might be unreal.

So, I dont know...what do you think? Got a solution to the problem or are just going to act outraged to satisfy the mob?

7 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

I havent decided yet. Folks alwys ask me that and Im very ambivelant about it. On one hand, I accept my corporeal existence de facto and de jure, but even my acceptance and those concepts might be unreal.

So, I dont know...what do you think? Got a solution to the problem or are just going to act outraged to satisfy the mob?

Look I don't live there, you live in Bangkok or nearby, yes I know that problem has

been here for many years but get some real action

Make the trade in the particular mushrooms that they burn forests to harvest, illegal. Also prosecute anyone burning land that is not their own property. That will make a huge reduction in the burning. Farmers clearing their land is also a problem, but it will take time to find new ways that are cost effective in such a low profit industry.

The only solution is to leave Thailand or the north at the very least.

It's the perfect time to go to those places that you want to explore as an alternative to living here.
Some just might realize the other places are much better.  

The only way these people will stop this madness is with massive international media attention by the YouTubers bloggers/vloggers and due to significant loss of revenue.  

Get out, have fun, it's absolutely dangerously unhealthy to be Feb-May.

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The North suffers perennial choking smog from February to April, and Prawit said Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha was again fretting over the impact on people’s health.

It really seems that you have no exact information or that you try to hide the status quo, all of Thailand has this problem, ALL YEAR ROUND!

5 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Look I don't live there, you live in Bangkok or nearby, yes I know that problem has

been here for many years but get some real action

And what would that real action be. Invade Burma and Lao and shoot peasants that burn? Drag some $100 a year Thai *still shi**ng in a hole in the ground* farmer and fine him $500 for burning?

I live in Chiang Mai and for years have been critical of the government and its inability to control or even reduce the smog created by agricultural burning. But all it took to open my eyes was a trip into the mountains throughout the province...as well as nearby Northern provinces...to realize the problem cannot be solved by laws or punitive actions. There are cash crops growing in thousands of fields dotting the high mountain areas that are virtually unreachable by agricultural machinery to offer a better, more healthful alternative to burning. Does the government need to make it illegal to grow corn...putatively the worst offender to our air quality because of the massive amount of residue remaining after each harvest?  This isn’t an easy issue to legislate away, but I agree wholeheartedly with those  who propose harsh penalties for the widespread, increasing acts of wanton arson that are perpetrated in surrounding woodlands to improve the growth and harvesting of mushrooms. 

Archived