British Ex-pats & Id Cards

Penkoprod

I am just wondering what the ramifications are, for ex-pats, when it comes time to renew their passports?

Its been said that (in the UK at least) passports will NOT be issued to people not taking up the governments "kind offer" of making the population pay rumoured to be hundreds of pounds for the issuing of ID cards. In other words, if you dont have an ID card, then you dont get a passport !!!!

Penkoprod

I am just wondering what the ramifications are, for ex-pats, when it comes time to renew their passports?

Its been said that (in the UK at least) passports will NOT be issued to people not taking up the governments "kind offer" of making the population pay rumoured to be hundreds of pounds for the issuing of ID cards. In other words, if you dont have an ID card, then you dont get a passport !!!!

Penkoprod

I do not know where you got the idea that it is difficult to renew a passport....just contact the British Embassy in Bangkok......it takes a little time but can be done......no problems!!

The issuance of new passports in the UK may soon need an interview..but this is to prevent fraudulent claims, and to ensure that the applicant is who they say they are.

edit......have just seen the previous post......and note that the scheme is due to be implemented in 2009...so you do not need to worry for a while...

Edited by ronw

I do not know where you got the idea that it is difficult to renew a passport....just contact the British Embassy in Bangkok......it takes a little time but can be done......no problems!!

The issuance of new passports in the UK may soon need an interview..but this is to prevent fraudulent claims, and to ensure that the applicant is who they say they are.

edit......have just seen the previous post......and note that the scheme is due to be implemented in 2009...so you do not need to worry for a while...

Oh, i aint worried as such, because my own passport is up for renewl soon anyway.

I was more curious than anything.

And, yes, i know its not "difficult to renew a passport" at the British Embassy NOW, the same as it is NOW in the UK. You can even get it done by the Post Office.....them doing most of the work for you, in fact. But what will it be like in 2 short years time, i wonder?

Remember, this is at the embassy of BRITAIN, and its the government of BRITAIN thats saying "No ID = no passport"

Penkoprod