Brisbane Ideas Please

Peht

I'm avoiding Songkran this year. Got ticket for Bkk/Brisbane going out 12th. April & picking up hire car for 2 weeks. Any ideas for good itinerary appreciated. I was generally thinking of heading north as I've seen quite a lot of NSW already.

Hi there Peht. There's lots to see and do in sunny Queensland. You won't get too homesick as a lot of Queensland's weather is the same as Thailand.

Here's some links to get you started:

1. Official Queensland Tourism Website

2. Queensland Governmen's Homepage

3. Queensland Government Railways Homepage

4. Visit Queensland - for international travellers

5. Tourism Queensland Homepage

Peter

Give us some Ideas of your interests .

Drive up to cooktown and stop in different places of interest on the way.

Are you going alone , or w/- Thai wife ?

Rodeo circuit may be worth looking up . Try a search for ARRA ( Australian rough riders accociation )

A picnic down at Southbank would be enjoyable for your wife .

If your going solo , Gold and sunshine coasts are places of fine dining and women , but prices are high .

Don't drive all the way to Cairns without doing the little extra to Cooktown through the Daintree Rainforest

Cairns is largely built on Tourism , so there are plenty of activities to pass the time there .

yes good idea about the bullriding.

My old local in Rocky, The Great Western, was purchased by Lee Kernagan and he built (with the aquistion of some houses) a bull riding arena, they used to have events every friday fortnight.

April/May in Queensland-perfect...

If you're inclined to go a little south of Brisbane, go over the gateway bridge and take the motorway toward the Gold Coast, take a left at the Mount Tambourine turn-off. There's plenty of B & B's up there, and it's a great place to chill-out. St. Bernards pub is a pretty place to stop for a drink and a feed.

Maybe you're into theme parks (movie world, wet'n'wild, dreamworld, seaworld etc), with the most terrifying rides, then these can be easily found as you drive towards the Gold Coast.

If you make it to North Queensland, Magnetic Island off Townsville is worthy of a day or 3. The area around Cairns is beautiful, take the mountain road to Kuranda (clearly marked turn-off AFTER Cairns), have a night there. The Atherton Tablelands is a great drive with a thousand relatively private swimming opportunities (Tinnaro, Malanda, even Chillagoe for a taste of Country NQ).

From Cairns or Townsville you can easily take a a trip to the Great Barrier Reef for snorkling and seafood lunch.

West of Townsville 120kms is Charters Towers, an interesting old town which had it's glory days during the 1800's gold rush.

The drive from Townsville to Cairns is a nice one. Stop at the top of the Tully Range for a great view.

If it wasn't a long driving holiday you were hoping for, then you won't be driving far North until you find somewhere devoid of crowds to chill for the entire 2 weeks.

(The inland of Queensland is also a wealth of interesting places, it's just that the distances make driving there a pain)

Edited by jingjoe

Take a day-trip to Moreton-Island. They pick you up downtown and go by car-ferry. Drive around Moreton, go for sand boarding down the dunes. Great swimming in a sweetwater lake. Drive around the island.

Edited by Axel

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I prefer mostly to stay off the beaten track, quite happy to see countryside and small town Oz, drink plenty local wine and beer, stay in cheap motel/guest house and meet some real 'characters'.

Thanks everyone for your ideas. I prefer mostly to stay off the beaten track, quite happy to see countryside and small town Oz, drink plenty local wine and beer, stay in cheap motel/guest house and meet some real 'characters'.
If you like the country life try following the Warrego out of Brisbane, the Darling downs Towns of Dalby, Miles and chinchilla are beautiful with lots of quirky festivals,some great vineyards out there too , Maclagen and roma to name just 2, then drive back via The Bun and the Bunya Mountains head for Caboolture and Bribie Island for a seafood feast and if its quiet maybe swim with the local dolphins!!, PM us and drop in for a drink and a feed you are most Welcome, most of the natives speak some form of english and some even wear clothes ,Great Weather and good time Guaranteed :o Nignoy

I suggest a look at the real Australia and take a trip down to Woodridge for the Sunday markets, just 40 mins by train from the Brisbane city centre.

lambous,you forgot to mention the many artistic murals which can be viewed from the comfort of your train seat.

Thommo.

ps I liked your sense of humour. :o

Sounds like Birdsville is the place for you, just slip into an R M Williams and get kitted up with boots and an Akubra ,then" head west young man",all the beer and characters you could wish for.

I'm avoiding Songkran this year. Got ticket for Bkk/Brisbane going out 12th. April & picking up hire car for 2 weeks. Any ideas for good itinerary appreciated. I was generally thinking of heading north as I've seen quite a lot of NSW already.

Just stay in the city. What a lovely place. Queen street and the malls and 15 minutes stroll to the South bank where you can spend a day relaxing. Brissie, my love.

Just stay in the city. What a lovely place. Queen street and the malls and 15 minutes stroll to the South bank where you can spend a day relaxing. Brissie, my love.

You obviously havent been to southbank for a while nearly all concrete and cafes now, with Gondwana and the Butterfly Sanctuary and the Canal concreted over , still quite pretty though!! the River cats are good value and an interesting way of seeing Brisbane, now there are even daily boat services to redcliffe, soon to be extended to Bribie and Caloundra, it is still the best place to be in australia :o Nignoy