Phantom pregnancy

My little bitch has(ve) developed a phantom pregnancy. She's doing quite well now once I took her toys (false puppies) away, however she's still full of milk. After calling my sister, dog owner and breeder for decades, she told me I have to see a vet to get her the right medication, to reduce the milk production.

I'm willing to do so, but just want to have opinions here too, because many times vets here (not only here) do treatments that help more their income than do good for the pet.

As you're already trying to discourage maternal behaviors by taking away surrogate puppies and nesting sites; disrupt the stimulation of mammary glands or milk production by using Elizabethan collars or t-shirts—they’ll keep your dog from licking the enlarged glands. 

If she gains more and more weight, produces more milk and acts very suspicious, go to see a vet. 

I know that they're almost all there to take way more money than it's worth what they do, but sometimes it's necessary. No idea how to reduce her milk and stop, or decrease the milk production. But that can't be good for her. 

Best of luck with your bitch! ????

5 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

As you're already trying to discourage maternal behaviors by taking away surrogate puppies and nesting sites; disrupt the stimulation of mammary glands or milk production by using Elizabethan collars or t-shirts—they’ll keep your dog from licking the enlarged glands. 

Only if she gains more and more weight and acts very suspicious, go to see a vet.

I know that they're almost all there to take way more money than it's worth what they do, but sometimes it's necessary. 

Best of luck with your bitch! ????

Thanks mate, as of now, she's not liking herself.

I went to our local government vet office in the Amphoe, well they usually do the rabies injections, and some other common recurring shots pretty straightforward, but the four "children" who were manning the office seemed to never heard b4 of such thing, or it gets pretty much ignored in Thailand.

Fortunately we have sine a year or so a vet in town. It seems he was knowing what's he doing. But like I expected they are more sales person than vets, I would take her for something more serious there. She got now pills for avoid bacterial infection, however unlikely as she was not sucking on herself, nor lactating. And some other hormones to stop milk producing, however no idea what it actually is. I would have choosen Doxine, but apparently that's on available on 500ug, that would be the 10fold dose for a 10Kg bitch.

However she's doing OK.

It sounds like a stressful situation for you & the dog. I've found my vet to be very fair here & used the same one for 13 years. My 3 female dogs (Bull Terrier, Weimaraner & Dalmatian) were all spayed & are as good as gold, maybe that's an option for the future. Good luck.

10 hours ago, Big Guns said:

It sounds like a stressful situation for you & the dog. I've found my vet to be very fair here & used the same one for 13 years. My 3 female dogs (Bull Terrier, Weimaraner & Dalmatian) were all spayed & are as good as gold, maybe that's an option for the future. Good luck.

Yes, that's a bit of my plan. Actually, I could deal quite well with it the few days she was in heat in the past, you have to be a little bit more on alert.

As I'm planning to spend less time in Thailand, her cycles might be into times when I'm not around. Leaving the bitch to the "Mai Pen Rai- Mentality" of my counterpart, not a very bright idea, isn't it.

I do not trust the local vet, so I would probably opt for the Vet in the University in our province, however 50Km away. I gave my Truck away, for not being the driver for every family member, so that would be a bit of a issue, however the local bus stops only 2 clicks away, and in January the family visits, then I have the renal anyway.

Archived