Repeatedly Coming On Tourist Visas - "No Problem"

Comment from Phuket Immigration in The Phuket Gazette: "Up to you!"

QUESTION:

What visa should I get?

I have been living and working in Thailand for 10 years, and have a one-year permit to stay, along with a work permit.

Now, however, I am going to be working outside of Thailand on a 28/28-day rotation, spending my days off here in Phuket with my Thai wife. I believe that I will be able to get a 30-day tourist visa each time that I come back from work.

My question is: Can I get a one-year marriage visa? If so, what, if any, are the advantages?

Friday, June 4, 2004

John Smith, Phuket.

ANSWER FROM PHUKET IMMIGRATION:

“Being married to a Thai, and assuming you meet the financial requirements, you qualify to apply for a one-year extension on that basis.

Or you can come in repeatedly on tourist visas. The choice is up to you. It depends on which one suits you better.

Friday, June 4, 2004

Pol Capt Krissarat Nusen, Officer, Phuket Provincial Immigration Office.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers...ails.asp?id=711

So there it is, crystal clear - but only if you deal with Phuket immigration??

Looking at how the head of Immigration Section 3 in BKK recently slagged off www.thaiimmigration.com as a source of misinformation, whereas said www.thaiimmigration.com clearly slagged off this forum and www.ajarn.com, my confusion regarding everything visa-related, apart from the "smile, wear a tie, speak thai, and make friends with the right thais/ties" is now total. :o

I would assume Pol Capt Krissarat Nusen, Officer of Phuket Provincial Immigration Office is not entitled to interpret Immigration policy for other changwats?

Dr. Pat Pong.............

I'm sure glad I took the advice of thaivisa.com and rushed back to the US LAST OCTOBER to get a proper visa due to the imminent deportation of anyone coming in on consecutive tourist visas...... Can you guys reimburse my expenses?

Sorry, I do not understand the excitement. This guy visits Thailand, stays for 28 days and leaves to come again 28 days later.

Contrary to the advice

Or you can come in repeatedly on tourist visas
I would even say he could just arrive and get a 30-days-visa exemption. So no need to get a tourist visa.

We are not even talking about back-to-back entries.

Arguably Immigration will want him to jump through the hoops of an annual Non-Imm (O) because of the cash left in a Thai bank, increased fees into public coffers etc (especially now there is a public current account deficit) plus then pay B 500 for the re-entry permit each time he goes out.

If he's aiming to eventually apply for a resident's card, then this makes sence as he'll have continuity, but no other scenario makes financial sense when he can just walk in for a free 30 day "visa on entry".

What about simply reapplying for a non-immigration O? That is to say, do not get an extension, simply let the visa expire and then go back with the proper paperwork and start the entire process over again? If you have the money, then great, apply for the extension. If not, get another "O" visa and go in and out of the country every three months. Is this possible? I haven't heard anything about this.

What about simply reapplying for a non-immigration O? That is to say, do not get an extension, simply let the visa expire and then go back with the proper paperwork and start the entire process over again? If you have the money, then great, apply for the extension. If not, get another "O" visa and go in and out of the country every three months. Is this possible? I haven't heard anything about this.

A multiple entry NON-O is the correct visa for him, IMHO.

I'm a bit confused. I thought it depended on the kindness of the official if you were repeatedly given tourist visas beyond two or three. Or is that only in Phuket, or only if you are married to a Thai? Or is he only referring to those you are granted at the border, not from an embassy?

I have a new visa, type "O", single entry, 90 from the Penang consulate.

I would like to know about changing it to a:

one year multi entry visa. How is this done exactly?

Please give me any and all relavant info not the run around.

Thanks Aya

Theoretically, that sounds correct but in practice, what does this person have to lose from simply entering Thailand each time on a thirty-day visa-free entry stamp? As long as he really does not intend to spend longer than 30 days in the Kingdom on each visit, I don't see what spending 5000 baht on a multi-entry visa gains him.

Unless I am forgetting something, a multi-entry visa gains zero status towards Permanent Residence. Besides if he is looking to attain PR, immigrations wants to see hefty tax contributions to the Thai treasury, something that I wouldn't expect he would be making with an offshore-based job.

Theoretically, that sounds correct but in practice, what does this person have to lose from simply entering Thailand each time on a thirty-day visa-free entry stamp? As long as he really does not intend to spend longer than 30 days in the Kingdom on each visit, I don't see what spending 5000 baht on a multi-entry visa gains him.

Unless I am forgetting something, a multi-entry visa gains zero status towards Permanent Residence. Besides if he is looking to attain PR, immigrations wants to see hefty tax contributions to the Thai treasury, something that I wouldn't expect he would be making with an offshore-based job.

Funny, been in the Kingdom for ten years, married to a Thai national, leaving and coming back and considered a tourist... I know this is another discussion ....

Dutchy

In the gaining of residency it is a NIL minus. As a frequent arriver with an outbound ticket he is fine. He is anything but a walker as promoted by CMT ( This one has a job and isn't a poverty packer )

There are quite a few guys who do the same as John, mainly offshore workers who enter the country for 28 days at a time, then leave again for the same period- I am one of them.

Where is the confusion? The visa's are not consecutive tourist visa's as they are not just border runs, and income is earned outside the country. There is no real advantage in a non immigrant visa unless you find yourself in the country for a longet period between contracts, due to illnes etc.

Today I was refused a Married to Thai Non-Immigrant "O" Visa at the Thai Trade & Economic Office in Taipei. The reason given was that we had not been married 3 years. The lady also said that if I could prove either we had children together or I was sterile the 3 year rule would not apply. The full story is posted at:

" Need Multiple Entry Permit With Non Imm O?, Question about Non Immigrant O"

now let me see if i am clear on this

the visa regulations are based on rubber policy and guidelines

if you marry a thai then you will get a 1 year visa and live happily ever after

if you bribe an official you will get a 1 year visa and live happily ever after

if i buy a dart board and change all the numbers to yes or no and throw darts at it - i will come to the same conclusions as the thai immigration

if it rains on a thursday at 3 PM then i have a good chance of getting a visa on that day as thai officials wont send me home in the rain

the som tam lady said that some of the new rules will be that immigration will insist that everyone wanting a 12 month visa will need to down 3 small red chilli's and not make a face in front of the immigration official

cant argue with that

Today I was refused a Married to Thai Non-Immigrant "O" Visa at the Thai Trade & Economic Office in Taipei. The reason given was that we had not been married 3 years. The lady also said that if I could prove either we had children together or I was sterile the 3 year rule would not apply. The full story is posted at:

" Need Multiple Entry Permit With Non Imm O?, Question about Non Immigrant O"

I'm sure a quick vasectomy can be arranged !

:o I have been working various rotations since 1999 and living in Thailand. Since that time I got 1 tourist visa in Malaysia, all my other trips (30+) were made with Visa on Arrivals, except for the past two months when I took the BKK bus to Cambodia for the day.

I have never had a problem with the visa on arrivals.

I have had 4 extensions of my 30 days visa. The first two were no problem, but I have been here for 6 months now and for my last two extensions (10 days) in BKK they stampted it "Extension not approved... Applicant must leave the Kingdom by date" and they entered a date 10 days away from the original departure. In other words, they declined the extension and then gave me the 10 days anyway.

I have had 4 extensions of my 30 days visa. The first two were no problem, but I have been here for 6 months now and for my last two extensions (10 days) in BKK they stampted it "Extension not approved... Applicant must leave the Kingdom by date" and they entered a date 10 days away from the original departure. In other words, they declined the extension and then gave me the 10 days anyway.

This is what I call excellent service! Try to get that in any other country! :o

In the gaining of residency it is a NIL minus. As a frequent arriver with an outbound ticket he is fine. He is anything but a walker as promoted by CMT ( This one has a job and isn't a poverty packer )

I'm not promoting the walkers and god knows I've made it clear here in a thread entitled 'You stupid backpackers' that a lot of these people bother me. Nevertheless, I think its interesting that there is always so much talk here about how people going to the border every 30 days are going to be deported or refused entry and it never seems to happen, at least apart from isolated incidents, most often at SE Asian consulates.

And I pay particular attention to the topic because as I stated, I took the advice of thai visa and a couple other sources seriously last October and flew home to put things right. Of course I prefer to be here without worry, but I must say that half the people I know have been going to the border every month since the time I flew home and NONE have had any problems whatsoever. Makes me wonder if I should have just held on to my money. A few thousand US can go a long way at NEP as you very well know Doctor. :o

CMT,

I'm sure glad I took the advice of thaivisa.com and rushed back to the US LAST OCTOBER to get a proper visa due to the imminent deportation of anyone coming in on consecutive tourist visas...... Can you guys reimburse my expenses?

Don't quite understand why you had to fly all the way to the USA to get your visa(?). Wouldn't it have been easier and cheaper to get the same visa much closer, like in Penang?

Just curious.

Applicant must leave the Kingdom by date" and they entered a date 10 days away from the original departure. In other words, they declined the extension and then gave me the 10 days anyway.

Reminds me of days past when the most common one year visa was the "your one your visa application has not yet been approved or denied by our central office in Bangkok" so please accept this one month extension. Every month one would do the rounds to extend both visa and work permit by one month. It was not long before I was having lunch once a month with the wives and kids of the immigration officers at Chiang Mai in their housing behind the immigration office.

...in BKK they stampted it "Extension not approved... Applicant must leave the Kingdom by date" and they entered a date 10 days away from the original departure...

They seem to do that to everyone in the BKK immigration office. I've had my first extension of a 30 days on-arrival visa done there, first time i was ever in Thailand and got "denied" but with a 10 days extension, too. So did at least 2 others who got theirs right after me. The "denied, but you can stay" seems to be their day to day practice for extensions, at least on the 30 days on-arrival.

I think the point is that the person will be spending 28 days outside of the country between each visit. It is obvious that the person is NOT living in Thailand.

I have it on very good information that a crackdown is in the beginning stages and ready for implementation in July on multiple 30 day entry permits. I wish I could go into more, but this is a public forum. Just get your visa in order, now!

I think the point is that the person will be spending 28 days outside of the country between each visit. It is obvious that the person is NOT living in Thailand.

I have it on very good information that a crackdown is in the beginning stages and ready for implementation in July on multiple 30 day entry permits. I wish I could go into more, but this is a public forum. Just get your visa in order, now!

This guy is,in my humble opinion, 100 per cent bona fide. It is not a back to back arrangement, and his income is totally derived outside Thailand. He can reinstigate a non-immigrant visa based on marriage anytime he wants to do so. ( other than in Taiwan ) The one's we hear are endangered are the walkers. Permanent residents of Thailand on back to back tourist permits.

Dr. Pat Pong.............

The check is in the mail CMT. The guy talked about on here is altogether different than the walkers. No back to back permits for a start, and he is no walker. Whyever did you go all the way to the USA to get a visa ? Defies logic. And they are not tourist visa's, They are permits to enter.

ANSWER FROM PHUKET IMMIGRATION:

“Being married to a Thai, and assuming you meet the financial requirements,

How about more confusion... Yesterday my gf was told by an officer the amount is 800 000 thb.

Aside from the initial confusion over the 400,000 Baht versus 200,000 Baht ping-pong, I just don't see where the massive confusion lies anymore.

The immigration police captain in Phuket is simply saying if it serves your purpose as a foreign worker (working outside the country) to come and go on tourist visas then fine. The guy is working outside of the country and so, technically, when he returns on R and R he is on holiday.

We know the Thai authorities don't really give a rats whether we have wives and families here, so this response is not contradictory information. Immigation is trying to get rid of the "farang key nok" and regularize its cross-border traffic with neighbouring countries. Maybe not such good news for Khao San Road or the couple of extremely influential landlords over there. But I won't shed many tears.

George, my question is this: Why bother with the O Visa at all? So what if you're married? Why not just set yourself up as a foreign consultant? Register a business off-shore - it's easy and cheap enough to do - go down to Singapore, KL, or somewhere a bit more respectable than a Cambodia border crossing, and apply for a B Visa? No work permit required. And all you must do is go in and out of the country every three months? Far as I know, your earnings are none of their business, since you are technically just here "on business". Also, as someone else said "why extend"? Each year just start over.