Convicted MP Nawat ordered to renounce official status

webfact

Convicted MP Nawat ordered to renounce official status

By THE NATION

800_3c8f1fbca8d6d95.jpg?v=1571233544

Nawat Tohcharoensuk

The Constitutional Court today ordered Nawat Tohcharoensuk, the Pheu Thai MP for Khon Kaen, to renounce his status as a member of parliament, after being sentenced to death for masterminding a murder by Khon Kaen criminal court.

The Election Commission of Thailand had requested a ruling by the Constitutional Court on whether Nawat should be disqualified as an MP , according to the Constitution of Thailand’s article 101 (6) and 96 (6), reasoning that Nawat had been given the death penalty and was being detained while filing an appeal to the supreme court.

The Constitutional Court accepted the request in accordance with article 82 of the Constitution and article 75 (5) of the constitutional act, ordering Nawat to immediately give up his status as a member of Parliament, before that a public pronouncement will be made.

At the Khon Kaen criminal court, Nawat was found guilty of hiring the other defendants to shoot dead Suchart Khotethum, the assistant chief of Khon Kaen provincial administration organisation, for the victim's affair with his wife.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30377459

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-10-17

44 minutes ago, jerojero said:

Duh, should a murderer have to give up his parliamentary Seat? I don't know, let's see...it's such a minor offence. Puh...lee...zzz. Does this question actually have to be asked? Sheesh!

The Thai parliament is full of criminals, treasonists, human traffickers, drug dealers, money launderers and murderers.

I would think he is amongst good company and has the right type of qualifications.

46 minutes ago, neeray said:

Drain the swamp !

Nah, spray it with paraquat glyphosate and chlorpyrifos before its  too  late, hows the heroing smuggler doing, funny how they focus on the murderer more than the drug  smuggler who probably killed   thousands on heroin

What hope can Thailand actually have when an MP supposedly in the good guys' camp is bona fide human garbage?

The fact his party haven't cut him loose fully already speaks volumes about just how murky the Thai political sphere is. As much as i loathe the pro military camp, you can't help but feel that this idiot is as bad as or worse than any in their ranks.

Trying to get bail after a death sentence has been given in a pretty open and shut case is the pinnacle of absurdity. Depressing as per

2 hours ago, jerojero said:

Duh, should a murderer have to give up his parliamentary Seat? I don't know, let's see...it's such a minor offence. Puh...lee...zzz. Does this question actually have to be asked? Sheesh!

It is new territory, MP's expected immunity. I think this is the first time an MP has been convicted of a serious crime, so they are going through the motions to work out the process because admitting fault and accepting responsibility is a struggle for some. It also allows other to get their defences in place.

1 hour ago, z42 said:

What hope can Thailand actually have when an MP supposedly in the good guys' camp is bona fide human garbage?

The fact his party haven't cut him loose fully already speaks volumes about just how murky the Thai political sphere is. As much as i loathe the pro military camp, you can't help but feel that this idiot is as bad as or worse than any in their ranks.

Trying to get bail after a death sentence has been given in a pretty open and shut case is the pinnacle of absurdity. Depressing as per

That is the thing on both sides are they doing exactly the same. The PTP is as bad as the junta because they kept standing by this guy just like the junta stood by their garbage. Both are utter hypocrites for only attacking the other side their bad MP. Had the PTP any moral high ground they would have kicked this guy out themselves.

The only party that I like and should be in government is future forward. 

1 hour ago, Chang_paarp said:

It is new territory, MP's expected immunity. I think this is the first time an MP has been convicted of a serious crime, so they are going through the motions to work out the process because admitting fault and accepting responsibility is a struggle for some. It also allows other to get their defences in place.

Last time the PTP had a guy in their ranks that shot his wife and he could not be convicted until the immunity ran out. They stood by their guy (sickening like the current mob stood by their drug dealing guy). I feel that immunity is nice.. but not for murder, drug dealing and such. 

4 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

What about the convicted heroin dealer who is still a minister?

The heroin dealer is not a Pheu Thai Party member.

Thamanat the drug dealer is described as a key ally (bagman) and fixer for the top generals and a so called enforcer in the Cabinet. Being bent and having done jail time he is therefore indispensable in the unprincipled Prayut government.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The Constitutional Court today ordered Nawat Tohcharoensuk, the Pheu Thai MP for Khon Kaen, to renounce his status as a member of parliament, after being sentenced to death for masterminding a murder by Khon Kaen criminal court.

Why not just strip hi of his title... end of subject !

What's entertaining is that so many beleive that either side, any side or party in Thailand stands for righteous principles. 

None do. 

They are more-or-less the same culturally. Same ethics, same morality, same attitudes toward law, same attitude toward power. 

The only meaningful differences are in which clan they fight for. 

Future Forward, PTP, PP - all of them, same same. 

56 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

What's entertaining is that so many beleive that either side, any side or party in Thailand stands for righteous principles. 

None do. 

They are more-or-less the same culturally. Same ethics, same morality, same attitudes toward law, same attitude toward power. 

The only meaningful differences are in which clan they fight for. 

Future Forward, PTP, PP - all of them, same same. 

Agree with all but the Future Forward party. From what I have seen and his action to date, this guy might be the real deal.

That the military are constantly trying to take him down only really confirms this.

10 minutes ago, Reigntax said:

Agree with all but the Future Forward party. From what I have seen and his action to date, this guy might be the real deal.

That the military are constantly trying to take him down only really confirms this.

I'm less hopeful. I've seen too many smooth talking people here, who know all the right things to say but who ultimately end up just like all the others. 

I would love to see a full accounting and tax records for Thanathorn's family business. I can only imagine no family gets that wealthy here without a lot of dirt. 

5 hours ago, robblok said:

Last time the PTP had a guy in their ranks that shot his wife and he could not be convicted until the immunity ran out. They stood by their guy (sickening like the current mob stood by their drug dealing guy). I feel that immunity is nice.. but not for murder, drug dealing and such. 

should carry out the death sentence then immunity and resignation become moot points

Archived