Alcohol laced with toad extract kills two in Chonburi - stay well clear warns health expert

webfact

One for the frog and toad? Don't go there advises Chonburi health expert

9pm.jpg

Thai caption: One more dead

A Chonburi health expert has advised people not to drink medicinal spirits laced with extract of toad. 

Two people have died in the Samet area after drinking Ya Dong (medicinal spirits) with the unusual additive. Many have fallen sick. 

Winai, 47, was the latest suspected victim. He was found lying down dead near some old offices. 

His younger sister Aranya, 43, said she didn't see much of him but it was very sad. He had been drinking with some relatives. 

The concoction was made by a man called "Nat". 

Worasak who works at a clinic in the area warned about drinking such things. 

Frog and Toad is Cockney rhyming slang for "road" - used in the expression "one for the road" or have another drink, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-10-23

The stuff in those bottles, herbs and bark and various junk..

Is added purely to make the vile liquid (half) drinkable.

nothing to do with health.

Why so many Thais believe this

hocus-pocus is beyond me. 

A lot of them end up destroying their liver, thinking they are drinking health tonics.

need their heads read

29 minutes ago, webfact said:

Frog and Toad is Cockney rhyming slang for "road" - used in the expression "one for the road" or have another drink, notes Thaivisa. 

Is someone trying to show off their amazing English knowledge?

1 hour ago, pookondee said:

The stuff in those bottles, herbs and bark and various junk..

Is added purely to make the vile liquid (half) drinkable.

nothing to do with health.

Why so many Thais believe this

hocus-pocus is beyond me. 

A lot of them end up destroying their liver, thinking they are drinking health tonics.

need their heads read

I'd think your head (and face) would be well 'red' after drinking that stuff.

1 minute ago, PatOngo said:

Stick with the herbal relaxation medicine, far less lethal!

I want to live dangerously. I had a whack of ya dong with the local motosais last week, it burned LOL

Some Yar Dongs are ok ,two popular one are Suar Sipet Tuar, 11 Tigers ( but the joke is with the bad economy it is now  10 dogs and one Tiger ),or Gow Reian ,9 coins .

On Thai TV they said they mixed paint thinners as well ,it would have been the paint thinners that would have done the damage,

The wife says you can use Toad, Khang Khock in Thai to make a Yar Dong  ,but a gland at the back of the ear  is poisonous and must be removed .

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

This man needs to be found , arrested and charged with manslaughter .

Really? Charged with manslaughter? Often we read in news murderer found after about 10 years- perhaps the criminal couldn't afford to pay anymore so he was "found" and arrested.

If you live in Thailand long enough you will see the intricate workings of the laws, the justice system, the police work and of course the important "forensic work" which often put forward rather unusual reasons for the death of victims.

"Amazing Thailand"- as the billboard advertised tells you in 2 words what so many expats on this forum keep complaining.

42 minutes ago, kickstart said:

The wife says you can use Toad, Khang Khock in Thai to make a Yar Dong  ,but a gland at the back of the ear  is poisonous and must be removed .

I think they have to be gutted, bled and skinned too, they are bufo toxin toads. Ddidnt some dudes die a few years ago from eating one?

7 hours ago, nikmar said:
7 hours ago, webfact said:

Is someone trying to show off their amazing English knowledge?

...and failing.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa should note that first part is correct, it is rhyming slang but, in the second part, apart from "frog and toad" meaning "road", there is no connection whatsoever between the cockney term "frog and toad" and the expression used for having another drink, "one for the road"!

17 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

My brother in law makes it. Takes a jug of it out when we go fishing for the day. Up in Issan, everyone has their own secret recipe. His tastes great and blows the top of your head off. Not for the squeamish.

Some truly believe it's an aphrodisiac medicine that helps people in hard times to get harder. ????

1 hour ago, Nyezhov said:

I think they have to be gutted, bled and skinned too, they are bufo toxin toads. Ddidnt some dudes die a few years ago from eating one?

The South American introduced (bufo family) toad is decimating wildlife in Australia. Killing everything that eats it. Including crocodiles. One of the biggest environmental disaster to occur. All based on the  best scientists knowledge and recommendations , of course.

I made a suggestion that a toad may be responsible for some apparent dog poisoning attempts in Thailand in a different thread but it got removed as off topic. Go figure.

Wouldn't be surprised if this post is removed too. Sometimes the facts are inconvenient.

Archived