First time ED visa, with recent tourist visa history?

Quick back drop..

I effectively retired 2 years ago at 45, and have spent about 60% of the last 2 years in Thailand on 4 tourist visa's, and one visa exempt, all extended.

I'm looking into learning Thai, and have spoken to Walen education in Pattaya.

The package looks good (400 lessons over a year + eduaction visa). However, I'm still a little unsure as to the process.

I think that I apply through the school to immigration first (takes about 2 weeks)

Then, I go to a nearby consulate and obtain the education visa (I think they said Penang)

My question is that with all the recent tourist visa's in my passport, will I have problems anywhere in the process?

I recommend Ho Chi Minh City for first ed-visa. Prepare bank statement with current balance and some operation history (they asking for it). 

Latest from Penang, they have this on the wall:

"ED VISA: ONLY IF YOU HAVE NO OTHER VISA BEFORE!
ED Visas are only being issued to persons who have NEVER had any other type of Visa in their passport before.
So if in your passport you have already a Tourist Visa, a Non B Visa, or a Non O Visa, and you try to apply an ED Visa, your application will be rejected."

Edited by clearance

12 minutes ago, clearance said:

I recommend Ho Chi Minh City for first ed-visa. Prepare bank statement with current balance and some operation history (they asking for it). 

ED Visas are only being issued to persons who have NEVER had any other type of Visa in their passport before.
So if in your passport you have already a Tourist Visa, a Non B Visa, or a Non O Visa, and you try to apply an ED Visa, your application will be rejected."

Any proof to back this up? most schools tell you to go to penang

1 hour ago, clearance said:

Nope, just a text from my school. They don't have a photo.

Couple of reports recent months from Saigon re ed visa rejection (with multiple setv already in passport). Problem is stamped Void.

Not big deal if your at bordering coultry. Could do border entry. Bit harder from Saigon.

Edited by DrJack54

2 hours ago, clearance said:

Before writing something like this I think you should be 100% sure of what you are writing.

Have you seen it with your eyes

There is no reason why you would not be able to apply for an ED visa in Vientiane, Laos. 
It would be a good idea to prepare bank statements & current balance to prove that you are able to fund your stay in the Kingdom.  

Edited by Kaopad999

6 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

There is no reason why you would not be able to apply for an ED visa in Vientiane, Laos. 
It would be a good idea to prepare bank statements & current balance to prove that you are able to fund your stay in the Kingdom.  

I thought I had a plan but  after reading these posts about the Ed visa process I am more confused.

I thought I might get on the plane to Vietnam this month - already paid for this ticket when i came back to Thailand in Oct - and while there apply at the Thai embassy in Saigon for the 3-month T.V.

Back here in Jan., I would go to the language school in Chiang Mai that I have already talked with and expect them to make a 1-year Ed visa out of it @ a cost of about $U.S. 1,100.00.

But from some of the Posts today it seems that one can apply for the Ed  visa itself at the Thai Embassy in Vientiane. 

I could write-off the ticket to Vietnam anyway, and travel to Lao, but I thought people  were saying recently that it is easier to deal with the Thai  embassy in in Savannaket for visas than in Vientiane.

And another question is about having visas in the passport - that some people would  reject an application for an Ed visa. I got a new passport in Vietnam this past May, and it has only 30-day permits in it and no previous visas to Thailand. But I lived in Thailand previously in 2009-2014 , so the I/O could certainly see this history on his computer, but is the policy on concerned with visas  entries in the current p.p.?

Any input and advice would be appreciated.

On 11/1/2019 at 1:22 AM, clearance said:

Would the "No Other Visa" refer to anything other than visa on arrival (Non-O, OA, etc)?

I've been to Thailand a few times, but never for longer than 2 weeks or so but I was thinking of doing an ED visa sometime in the future. I would hope this means I could enter Thailand, spend a week or two finding an accredited Thai Language school that I liked then applying through them. Thanks