How much money do you feel comfortable keeping in Thai Banks?

On 11/2/2019 at 12:56 PM, bkk6060 said:

Beyond the 800 k. Why keep more sitting for nothing?

Same buying a dead money condo.

Keep your money in your home country my stock accounts are up around 15% this year and I am fairly conservative.

yes, but how will that 15% look when the next stock market crash occurs. 10 yr bull run on stocks is unsustainable. Prices are so inflated. I sold up everything and waiting patiently for a crash to but everything on sale

23 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Thats pretty good, we've got a fixed term account with Kasikorn that pays 1.7%/annum. I think I will be sending my wife to open a secondary fixed term account.

yes but siam credit union. Never heard of them before. How solvent are they? High risk I think giving fixed deposit rates that are too good to be true

On 11/2/2019 at 11:12 AM, BritManToo said:

Every bank branch and every bank teller has their own rules.

12 years ago I could buy a 1 year non-o VISA for 120GBP, no questions asked.

12 years ago you bought a non O from a bank, that's impressive!

On 11/3/2019 at 1:06 PM, ubonr1971 said:

yes but siam credit union. Never heard of them before. How solvent are they? High risk I think giving fixed deposit rates that are too good to be true

They do seem too good to be true, they are listed and seem to have a lot of branches but without financial statements who knows how solvent they are.

On 11/2/2019 at 12:42 PM, DogNo1 said:

I only transfer in about 66,000 per month to meet the financial requirements for my yearly extension of stay.  I keep around 150,000 in my Bangkok Bank account for local cash purchases but pay for most everything with my Navy Fed Visa Card to earn that 1% back.  Most of my money stays in my US accounts for the sake of convenience but I also keep about $60,000 in my Sumitomo-Mitsui account, also for the sake of convenience of making and collecting payments in Japan.  In short, I don’t keep any more money in foreign accounts than is necessary for convenience. We Americans have FBAR and income tax reporting requirements so it is a hassle to keep much money overseas.  So far as investing goes, it is tedious to file about 15 K-1s each year that include a foreign investment component.  I only do it because the rate of return on each fund makes it worth it in my investment advisor’s opinion.

Who is your investment advisor... I need one.