Thai Alphabet Learning Software?

theCatat

hi all,

i've posted this also in the 'learning thai' section, but as this one gets the most traffic ...

there's supposed to be a software game that teaches the thai alphabet. has anyone heard of it? it's not rosetta stone [too expensive!]

cat

there is a cd available, i think it is called "thai reading tutor" , it is produced by an australian university, and is available in panthip. there is a picture of a chicken (gor gy) on the cover. it has sound and speed recognition tests too.

i found it quite useful for learning the names and recognising the sounds of the letters.

certainly worth the few baht it cost.

there is a cd available, i think it is called "thai reading tutor" , it is produced by an australian university, and is available in panthip. there is a picture of a chicken (gor gy) on the cover. it has sound and speed recognition tests too.

i found it quite useful for learning the names and recognising the sounds of the letters.

certainly worth the few baht it cost.

thanks everyone.

i'm not living in thailand yet, so buying it on the ground is not an option for awhile. a pity as i just returned from there two weeks ago.

but i'll search around and see if i can come up with the australian's email address.

[i'm usually on a mac, but i have a pc for the odd bit of software or i run a pc emulator]

cat

Diller's brilliant. I took my first staggering steps of Thai through the university course developed by Australian National University (Diller/Juntamalaga).

I would not recommend this course for solitary studies though. It is best suited for classroom learning with a native Thai teacher.

My best bet for solitary studies is David P. Smythe's Teach Yourself Thai, apart from the appalling phonetics.

Diller's brilliant. I took my first staggering steps of Thai through the university course developed by Australian National University (Diller/Juntamalaga).

I would not recommend this course for solitary studies though. It is best suited for classroom learning with a native Thai teacher.

My best bet for solitary studies is David P. Smythe's Teach Yourself Thai, apart from the appalling phonetics.

<<David P. Smythe's Teach Yourself Thai

thanks. i'm indeed going to attempt to learn thai on my own. there used to be a thai teacher out here, but i believe she's left. and although there is a large thai community around, just because they speak the language, doesn't mean they can teach it properly.

i found this review online. fits what you posted.

review of 'teach yourself thai'

cat