Options for staying in Thailand longer than 30 days

A mate of mine is coming to Pattaya on holiday. He will get a visa-on-arrival for 30 days. What are his options if he wants to stay a little longer ??

How much longer can he get if he goes to Immigration (I believe it's 1,900bht) ??

What will he get if he does a border run (by land not air) ??

Thanks.

30 day extension 1,900 baht from local immigration, but be aware they may require a tm30 to have been submitted, and if he is not in possession of a ticket out of Thailand within 30 days of arrival, the airline may deny boarding, maybe better to get a tourist visa, good for 60 days and that could be extended by 30 days if required

Edited by steve187

On 11/5/2019 at 7:13 AM, Rigsby said:

A mate of mine is coming to Pattaya on holiday. He will get a visa-on-arrival for 30 days. What are his options if he wants to stay a little longer ??

There is no visa on arrival for 30 days. Will he actually be getting a 30 day Visa Exempt?

This can be extended by 30 days at immigration for 1900 baht, or a border run will obtain a new 30 day Visa Exempt entry.... You are limited to two land border visa exempts in a calendar year.

Edited by jacko45k

37 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

There is no visa on arrival for 30 days. Will he actually be getting a 30 day Visa Exempt?

This can be extended by 30 days at immigration for 1900 baht, or a border run will obtain a new 30 day Visa Exempt entry.... You are limited to two land border visa exempts in a calendar year.

OK. I always referred to it as VOA. I.e. he's coming on holiday for a month, possible longer, without obtaining any type of visa from a consulate in the UK. I guess it's called a 30-day visa exempt now.

I've read posts here that say it's not so easy to get a tourist visa these days. In fact my mate (who's retired) was refused one 'cos he didn't meet the criteria. Anyway, if he can do the Immigration office visit and get another 30 days, that's all he needs.

One more question - hope it's not a stupid one. Should he get a flight ticket which gives him a month stay, then before he's due to fly home, go to Immigration & get another 30 days, THEN change the ticket for a later flight home OR do you change the ticket first ?? I'm presuming that you don't purchase a ticket which is for longer than a month as they may query your visa.

As I said I hope it's not a stupid question. 

Edited by Rigsby
requesting more info

2 hours ago, Rigsby said:

One more question - hope it's not a stupid one. Should he get a flight ticket which gives him a month stay, then before he's due to fly home, go to Immigration & get another 30 days, THEN change the ticket for a later flight home OR do you change the ticket first ?? I'm presuming that you don't purchase a ticket which is for longer than a month as they may query your visa.

As I said I hope it's not a stupid question. 

No such think as a stupid question....

Book the ticket as needed, Thai immigration hardly ever check. They really are only problematic with people who spend a lot of time in Thailand. Usually you are more worried about the airline letting him board. 

I don't know that it is hard to get a TV these days in the UK... aren't some of the consulates good  still? That would eliminate any concerns as to when the ticket should be booked for, and my preferred option.

Edited by jacko45k

He may have trouble getting on a flight to Thailand if he doesn't have a return ticket,if he does have a return ticket he will need a 60 day tourist visa if it's for a stay for more than 30 days.

Reading about people being refused entry the airlines are probably being careful about letting passengers board if they don't have visas and return tickets.