10-year-old 'allowed To Drive Locally'

george

Very predicable responses but folks, lighten up a bit. It could have been worse, much much worse, he could have let a woman drive. Then it would have been a mobile held on the ear by shoulder whilst applying make-up with hands and steering with knee and who said only children are not responsible ? Of course children should should not drive - nor should anybody under 18 and definately no women. Just see the headlines now - "Serious accident as woman crashes into own child driving in opposite directions. The woman was apparently speaking to her son on her mobile just before the collision. Neither child nor Mother would accept responsibility for driving without due care and attention. Police later arrested father for allowing his wife to drive"
:o

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually I am quite surprised to see, anywhere in the world, that kids under the age of 12 are allowed to use scissors, a tool that is extremely dangerous and can easily hurt oneself or others. I am still waiting for the day to come when kids should not be allowed to use scissors until they reach the age of 12 and pass a scissors-using test so I can feel safer.

A 10 year old driving a van? That is a bloody joke! All I can say TIT. You should be 50+ years old to be able to drive! But at the age of 55 I think one is too old to drive then.

post-4351-1175071041_thumb.jpg10-year old Thai boys has NO sense whatsoever of the dangers of traffic - but neither has this ADULT, educated Swedish bus driver behind the wheel of his vehicle operating TWO handphones, with passengers from Östersund to Umeå earlier this month :o

But to put it into perspective: if a very young driver can even reach the pedals to control the machine, when he's driving 42 kmh, that's 11.7 meters per second. He does not realize how incredibly fast that is. He does not know how quickly the vehicle can stop, even if he performs all the motions instantly and properly. He has not previously had the responsibility of worrying about stray dogs, children chasing things, crazy drivers doing 89 other things wrong, wet surfaces, faulty machinery....nope, too young to drive. In Thailand, 16 is too young.

I cannot believe that parents of any nationality don't love their children and want to protect them from unnecessary danger. I can believe that some parents......just....don't........think.

But to put it into perspective: if a very young driver can even reach the pedals to control the machine, when he's driving 42 kmh, that's 11.7 meters per second. He does not realize how incredibly fast that is. He does not know how quickly the vehicle can stop, even if he performs all the motions instantly and properly. He has not previously had the responsibility of worrying about stray dogs, children chasing things, crazy drivers doing 89 other things wrong, wet surfaces, faulty machinery....nope, too young to drive. In Thailand, 16 is too young.

I cannot believe that parents of any nationality don't love their children and want to protect them from unnecessary danger. I can believe that some parents......just....don't........think.

I agree 100% with what you say but in order to protect them from danger you have to realise that firstly the parents must actually perceive that there is a danger. Unfortunately there are still too many people who are parents, not just in Thailand but in many other countries, that do not fully comprehend these dangers. It is no good being judgemental and saying they do not just think, because in their upbringing they have not been exposed to or educated to considering the cause and effects of their own actions. That is not there fault it is just normal educational development. We who have been exposed to this philosophy in the West from the time we are born are lucky because for us considering danger and personal safety is second nature. But for others they still have a long way to come, so hence we should help, not "knock" them for doing what we perceive is irrational or dangerous.

The idea that there is a 'right' age for starting different activities is downright ageist and ridiculously authoritarian.

Admittedly, it is prevalent in western industrialised society, and it takes a long time for the mindsets of "We are the managers, you are the future factory-fodder" and "Ours not to reason how or why" to wear off.

The policeman (like all the police in our Amphoe) is being totally sensible and responsible in stressing that he knows this youngster is a steady, responsible individual who can be trusted to do what is right, in the rural-town situation.

One of the nicest things about (certain parts of) Thailand is that sense prevails, because things are thought out from basic principles, rather than being decided by arbitrary, irrelevant Western-centric rules.

Nowhere is perfect and no group are all angels, but there are instances of Thailand being a world leader in the application of commonsense.

Excellent post Martin , saying the unsayable. Ignore all the reactionaries here . Thaivisa is populated mostly by the "its against the law therefore it must be wrong" brigade. Thank God for countires like Thailand where common sense prevails over the West's idea of what has to be . Several times i haev been driven around Bangkok by obviously under age Tuk Tuk drivers, and my impression is they are far better than the adult drivers... far less reckless. Ooooops ... there i go saying the unsayable also.

I bet this kid drives better then alot of people I know. This is Thailand so leave your western opions to yourself. Who kills more people each day in Thailand? Thai and Farang adults who cant seem to live a day without DRINKING. I drove a old Chevy truck when I was 11. Granted it was on a fram but never had a problem. If he stays in the Village I have no problem with it. Long live the KING and Thailand.

Maybe not really so differnt then the US years ago. I was a farm kid we learned to driving tractors on the farm, not for fun but work after school and the breaks' Got my first license at 14 as my father was legally blind, it was a special license that allowed me to drive for family needs.

I took the standard adult driver exams to get the license.

I was well into 30's before I had my first accident. Needs in farming area can be very different then in the Cities.

10 year old on a public road might be pushing it a bit, even in farm communities.

I suppose a pointed out it would depend on the kid, but in any event if he had not passed the drivers tests then he should have been on the farm not public roads. A far a I'm concerned that gose for adults as well. (TT) Tis Thailand good luck,

same in the UK and it's legal.........................kids in early teans are allowed to drive tractors etc on public roads within the vicinity of the farm

Whats next:

Seems like some don't mind if a 10 year old will drive a harvester downtown with the horn blaring!!! :blink:I hope he uses the horn!

Edited by SamuiJens

Very predicable responses but folks, lighten up a bit. It could have been worse, much much worse, he could have let a woman drive. Then it would have been a mobile held on the ear by shoulder whilst applying make-up with hands and steering with knee and who said only children are not responsible ?

Ok, on a lighter note:

Women Drivers

This morning on the Interstate, I looked over to my left and there was a WOMAN in a brand new Cadillac doing 65 mph with her face up next to her rear view mirror putting on her eyeliner.

I looked away for a couple seconds and when I looked back she was halfway over in my lane, still working on that makeup.

As a man, I don't scare easily. But she scared me so much;

I dropped my electric shaver,

which knocked the donut out of my other hand.

In all the confusion of trying to straighten out the car using my knees against the steering wheel,

it knocked my cell phone away from my ear

which fell into the coffee between my legs,

splashed, and burned Big Bob and the Twins,

ruined the ###### phone, soaked my trousers,

and disconnected an important call.

###### Women Drivers!!

:o

WRONG. They are allowed to drive on public roads from the farm to any other land owned by the farmer in the U.K public road or not. Everyone already knows you can do whatever you like on private land such as a farm.

And if the farmer owns land in Cornwall and the Scottish Highlands? :o:D

Very predicable responses but folks, lighten up a bit. It could have been worse, much much worse, he could have let a woman drive. Then it would have been a mobile held on the ear by shoulder whilst applying make-up with hands and steering with knee and who said only children are not responsible ?

Ok, on a lighter note:

Women Drivers

This morning on the Interstate, I looked over to my left and there was a WOMAN in a brand new Cadillac doing 65 mph with her face up next to her rear view mirror putting on her eyeliner.

I looked away for a couple seconds and when I looked back she was halfway over in my lane, still working on that makeup.

As a man, I don't scare easily. But she scared me so much;

I dropped my electric shaver,

which knocked the donut out of my other hand.

In all the confusion of trying to straighten out the car using my knees against the steering wheel,

it knocked my cell phone away from my ear

which fell into the coffee between my legs,

splashed, and burned Big Bob and the Twins,

ruined the ###### phone, soaked my trousers,

and disconnected an important call.

###### Women Drivers!!

:D

Must have been in issan, since few Cadillacs on Samui! :o

Traffic laws and rules about driving (including getting a learners permit, license etc.) are set up for the convenience and safety of everyone. They govern our everday life and generally make life easier. These laws are not judgements -- they are simply rules to play by. They work very well if we all play the same. Thus someone decides which side of the road we drive on, whether bicycles can be on roads etc.

Vehicles are not built to accommodate the small size of a child and they aren't because of the laws. Thus Daddy's 10 speed bike and Jr.'s trike are very different in size.

Parents everywhere will make stupid decisions. My concern is when the police decide to go along with it. This has VERY little to do with this particular kid and lots and lots to do with all the other drivers around him. And laws.

In todays world I would be very surprised if a kid on a farm would be allowed to operate equipment, at least in California. Good in some ways maybe not so good in others. That was where we learned work ethics, not in school. Probably a very differen reality then here. There we went to school and worked after school and the breaks. There was very imprtant reason why there was a three month break. That was the time to harvest crops. I picked cotton as a kid, cut grapes picked peaches. No big deal we all did it. Lots of advantages we paid fo our school clthes for the next year. We had money to go to the movie, buy bikes Ect, all the more sweeter because was earned it.

The best lesson yuo do that and you dicide very quickly that an education is important, cause you certianly loose any desire to keep on doing that for the rest of yor life. As many of our parents had done and raised famalies doing it.

At thirteen I was operating a D-8 cat on a farm. by no stretch of imagination would they have let me out on a public road. Bi ut when you operating in a field that is a mile long adn nothing else in it but you not much room to get in trouble. So a big difference.

This weekend we returning on a trip from Ubon to Udon and we normally take the back roads, just more fun on a Bike. The guy riding ahead of me, was on a goldwing a real attention gettre here. We are at least ten KLMS for any town on a good road. We see two motorcyckles on the opposite side of the road young guy meaning kids three up on each bike.

What we didn't see was the third bike with three kids on it a well. He decided it was time to show off for his friends. Decided to pass, almost hit the Goldwing, the guy dodged him. The driver of the bike i so excited by all this that he i now turned hi to the rear and looking at the goldwing. In the meantime crossing the road and heasd directly at us. The bike lane wa no moer then 12 inches wide and I had now used 10 inches of it trying to avoid the collision. On the side about a five foot drop off in into rice paddies, With out that drop off that is exactly where I would want. But no choice to but to hang in there. The kid missed us by inches a combined speed of at least 120 between the bikes.

That is very good reason for kids not to be driving, no fear and the parents decide hey he doesn't a fall off it. So he can drive it. We had a little more suoervision in learning to things with machinery then that. Doesn't really seem to happen here.

I guess I don't accept the idea that the local policeman or the parents are so wise and all-knowing that it's safe to let a ten-year old (any ten year old, anywhere) to regularly drive on public roads. I also don't accept the idea that adult natives of Thailand are so stupid or untrained that they don't know cause and effect. The adults know; they just aren't being responsible enough, and it shows in their own driving habits, too often. The story about the Goldwing by ray23, above, is repeated in basic form by most of us who ride bikes or drive cars here, weekly. And then, parents and police are willing to send a child out there, driving a car.....

Delivery Van Runs School Bus Off The Road, 18 Dead At The Scene

A tragic accident occured today when Satang Semamon, age 10, who was driving a delivery van for his father's business side-swiped a school bus on a country road and drove it off the road where it rolled over repeatedly down into a gully causing the death of 18 students.

Satang's father, Suthep, awoke in the morning feeling ill and so decided not to accompany Satang on their daily rounds as was their usual routine. "I was surprised when I heard the news and I feel kind of sorry that I allowed him to drive alone, but he had been doing so well previously, that I thought it would be alright to let him go out and drive by himself."

Bangkok Herald-Examiner

News of the Future Division

What can you say ? Something like this is bound to happen. even if he just takes the van out to show off with his mates one day.

Also now the precedent has been set and approved by the police other kids are going to want to have a go!

Sometimes, as I'm sure many others have seen, when approaching a travelling car from behind it looks like there is no one driving, as the Thai person behing the wheel is so diminutive. How can a kid reach and correctly control all of the required controls ? :D

I'd take this as a massive compliment, John.

:D Insight and sinom

Sorry to not include the below disclaimer on my deleted post:

* Disclaimer: News of the Future Division reports on news that really has not occured..... yet.*

If you you re-read my original post ...... something like this IS bound to happen. ....... i.e. not happened yet !

S-J you did nearly get me until I read" Future news division" :D

Insight - read more carefully :D

cheers

Funny... to me anyway... that the Bangkok Herald-Examiner moniker didn't provide a tip-off as well... but you're certainly not the first that has fallen for it. :bah:

*nor hopefully, the last... * :o

I guess I don't accept the idea that the local policeman or the parents are so wise and all-knowing that it's safe to let a ten-year old (any ten year old, anywhere) to regularly drive on public roads. I also don't accept the idea that adult natives of Thailand are so stupid or untrained that they don't know cause and effect.

I do. I see loads of accidents with the driving i do for business, and the amount of dead kids I have seen here in almost 10 years is horrendous. Mostly all from motorcycle crashes. Mostly all from head trauma from not wearing a crash helmet. :D

Its like "Here you go, kiddo. Have a motorcycle to go to school on. Happy Birthday, and try not to kill yourself". :o

When they see a bunch of cute kids erratically riding a little 2-stroke, its; "dek narak" or "dek gaeng maak" until its ends in inevitable tragedy and carnage, and the parents are screaming in horror and trying to blame everyone but themselves...

Cause and effect is a rare commodity here, imo.

Relax, this used to happen in the U.S.A. all the time. My old boss was allowed by a local judge in a rural area to drive his family's car at age 7 because his father was disabled. That was years ago, of course.

You have to look at in context of the country, and remember this is Thailand.

Relax is the right word. Kids in the farming areas of Thailand drive all kinds of tractors and three wheeled vehicles around. In the rural areas of the US it is still common to see kids driving farm vehicles. I would say the original story may be stretching it a bit, but it's not a big deal. After all,

the kid is working; he's not out joyriding.

Edited by mbkudu

Relax, this used to happen in the U.S.A. all the time. My old boss was allowed by a local judge in a rural area to drive his family's car at age 7 because his father was disabled. That was years ago, of course.

You have to look at in context of the country, and remember this is Thailand.

Relax is the right word. Kids in the farming areas of Thailand drive all kinds of tractors and three wheeled vehicles around. In the rural areas of the US it is still common to see kids driving farm vehicles. I would say the original story may be stretching it a bit, but it's not a big deal. After all,

the kid is working; he's not out joyriding.

When you are swerving and narrowly missing motosi's on busy main roads being ridden by seemingly suicidal kids, the only part of you that "relaxes" are your bowels.

So let me ask those supporting the 10 year old boy's ability and right to drive on local minor roads,

Irrespective of the child's ability. Has he got a driving license to drive?

MOST IMPORTANTLY has he got valid insurance when he is driving on small public roads. Does 3rd party insurance remain valid for a 10 year old driver. I am sure it does not. So let us say the child has an accident (NOT the fault of his driving) swerves to avoid a child etc. and hits someone. Will they have their hospital bills covered and paid for. Will they get any compensation? What about THEIR RIGHTS in all this (the rights of the innocent). If you have NO insurance for whatever reason you should not be allowed to drive.

I am sure NOT there is no insurance for a 10 year old in a Van therefore for the Police to say "he is a good kid" is irrelevant as other innocents are more at risk of suffering due to invalid or non existent insurance.

On whether a child of 10 should be allowed to drive on public roads (crossing roads by tractor excepted) how many of "our" countries consider a 10 year child responsible as an adult (even for the most serious of crimes) VERY FEW. Therefore it is reasonable to assume that the general viewpoint is that a 10 year is not as responsible as an adult (SHOULD BE) but more importantly cannot be held accountable for his actions as an adult would be.

OK some 10 year old are mature and responsible BUT the laws of countries have to set REASONABLE limits for many things. If nothing else an adult of 16 or 18 has had 6 to 10 years more road experience (as a passenger or pedestrian) all highly valuable. OK some of you say some 10 year olds are very responsible. OK what if someone else says their 6 year old is very responsible. WHO decides and where do you stop.

As a personal view its not the child being irresponsible here but the parents (for his and other safety) and the Police for not enforcing the laws they are there to enforce and respect and are paid to do so.

Those who say they drove at a very young age in their countries in quiet villages (or wherever) I ask you "as you so you did it, hopefully you (and others) got away with it unscathed DO 2 wrongs make a right. I suppose that is why everybody fails to wear crash helmets here in Thailand. Nobody else does, the police often don't fine you SO IT IS OK. Tell that to the families of 1000s motorbike victims killed on Thai road every year. Khon Kaen hospital reported that 81% of road traffic accidents patients were motorcyclists and MOST were not wearing helmets.

For the Policeman who thinks driving on small neighbourhoods roads is OK I suggest he looks at facts from the UK and other countries insurance statistics. Here is one for the UK in 2007

"Most car crashes 'occur close to home'

Motorists in the UK are six times more likely to crash their car close to home than on a motorway, according to new figures.

Research by ********.com found that 29 per cent of drivers have had a car accident near to where they live, while only five per cent have crashed on a motorway".

********, managing director of insurance at the site, urged motorists to remain vigilant at all times.

He said: "Danger clearly lurks close to home for many drivers, with collisions most likely to happen in their neighbourhood and places they visit regularly.

This suggests motorists become complacent when navigating familiar routes."

OK this is not the UK, but neighbourhood roads here in Thailand are often in worse condition, seldom have pavements and buildings border the roads so visibility for motorist is severely handicapped in neighbourhoods in general.

Finally, IF the 10 year old did have an accident and killed someone (his fault or not) would he be able to cope with the mental trauma of his involvement and IF the WAS the cause it may destroy him mentally for life -Something his parents should take responsibility for and protect from such a major AND ILLEGAL risk at the age of 10 years.

If the boy DID cause an accident there would be few defending the parents, or the police or the maturity of the 10 year old to drive. Many would be holding the parents and the Policeman in the know as legally negligent (if not criminally negligent and responsible) for allowing the boy to drive contrary to the law of Thailand.

Regards, Dave

Edited by gdhm

WRONG. They are allowed to drive on public roads from the farm to any other land owned by the farmer in the U.K public road or not. Everyone already knows you can do whatever you like on private land such as a farm.

WRONG. I have just spoken to a friend of mine who is a serving police officer in the UK and has been for over twenty years. He has confirmed that 10 year olds are not allowed to drive on public roads even in the vicinity of a farm.

Please get your facts right before you contradict my posts.

Kids living on farms in the mid western part of the U.S. routinely drive.

Then again....if you fall asleep at the wheel there, you'll go off the road and drive through a wheat field for an hour....or until you wake up.

I think the kids fine.

Fun boy three were correct; The lunatics have taken over the asylum!

just wait till they get TV in the sticks .............................

what's that ,

they already have ,

well

Welcome to 2007 ( a time when 10 yr olds do not drive on public roads )

The majority on this thread seem to think that it's ok for:-

1) A ten year old to drive a car on public roads.

2) A policeman to ignore the law. - Indeed encourage law breaking.

Fun boy three were correct; The lunatics have taken over the asylum!

Couldn't have put it better myself.

How can

No driving licence

No insurance

lack of height and reach

ILLEGAL under the laws of Thailand

be OK and acceptable?

But then this "so called responsible good kid" is also claimed to be advocating other children do the same. Obviously he not experienced or responsible enough to know that even if he is more mature than most 10 year olds, there are many (MOST) NOT Mature or responsible. IN FACT they are what many Thai children are at 10 - STILL YOUNG CHILDREN.

It is clear those who think it is OK have no respect for Laws of Thailand. If the Laws are wrong its for the people and governments to change them NOT for kids, parents and police to take unilateral Illegal, dangerous and reckless action that we all KNOW the VAST MAJORITY would consider ridiculous and reckless and would never become law or considered acceptable.

Whatever next??

Responsible 10 year old becomes President of US or Prime Minister of UK (Hmm!!.. :o well maybe that's a bad example - many may well think that could be an improvement :D ).

Old enough and mature enough

to smoke at 10?

to vote at 10?

to father/mother children at 10? (if biologically possible)??

to enlist in the forces and die for your country at 10, maybe be promoted and lead men/women into battle after a couple of years?

to decide to marry at 10??

If a 10 year old is considered (by some members, some parents and some Police) old enough to be able AND to take full responsibility to drive a Van on PUBLIC roads (NOT FARMS) then he/she must be old enough for all the above apply equally as much. Clearly he is NOT responsible OR a NOT Good kid or NOT mature enough as no responsible adult would think uninsured driving is correct in any circumstance OR flouting the Laws of your Country so readily in full view of the Police and and local public.

For Goodness sake. Whatever is the World coming to??

Finally for the writer who said "You have to look at in context of the country, and remember this is Thailand".

YES MANY OF US DO . We all know how safe(?) the driving and roads are in Thailand, how many deaths and accidents occur each year. That is why we do not consider a 10 year (amongst MANY other good reasons) should be driving on Public Roads.

Dave

So let me ask those supporting the 10 year old boy's ability and right to drive on local minor roads,

Irrespective of the child's ability. Has he got a driving license to drive?

MOST IMPORTANTLY has he got valid insurance when he is driving on small public roads. Does 3rd party insurance remain valid for a 10 year old driver. I am sure it does not. So let us say the child has an accident (NOT the fault of his driving) swerves to avoid a child etc. and hits someone. Will they have their hospital bills covered and paid for. Will they get any compensation? What about THEIR RIGHTS in all this (the rights of the innocent). If you have NO insurance for whatever reason you should not be allowed to drive.

I am sure NOT there is no insurance for a 10 year old in a Van therefore for the Police to say "he is a good kid" is irrelevant as other innocents are more at risk of suffering due to invalid or non existent insurance.

Regards, Dave

At last someone has made an important observation i was unable to find in previous posts.

You can bet your last satang that he is in no way covered by insurance.

If and when the accident happens any insurance cover will be automaticallly become nill and void.

How a ten year old can cope with the eventual emergency that will require mental alertness and physical control has surely got to be a serious doubt and highly unlikely.

No way would i even think about letting a younster ride / drive a motor cycle / vehicle on any road and especially somewhere as safe and predictable as Thailand :o

marshbags :D

Edited by marshbags