Buriram man just can't do without his "Plaa Raa" - even though there was a snake in it!

webfact

Buriram man just can't do without his "Plaa Raa" - even though there was a snake in it!

10pm.jpg
Thai caption: Snake comes out of the "plaa raa" (fermented fish)

You either love it or you hate it - it's a bit like Marmite or Vegemite!

We are talking about fermented fish or what the Thais call "plaa raa". 

Many people, especially those from the north east or Isaan region, view the noxious and smelly substance as an essential part of one of the country's national dishes called Som Tam (papaya salad). 

But some people hate the taste even asking for the mortar and pestle to be washed in between the making of different versions of the dish. 

One man who swears by his "plaa raa" is Theerawut from the Nong Hong district of Buriram in the north east. 

Sanook reported that Theerawut was making his own Som Tam and had put in his chilli, garlic and other ingredients and now came the moment to put in the best ingredient of all. The fermented fish. 

10pm1.jpg
Picture: Sanook

He tipped the packet that he had bought from his favorite supplier and was shocked when a 40 centimeter dead snake popped out. He reckoned it was a baby one and had no idea what species it was. 

Still, he wasn't going to let his Som Tam go to waste. He picked out the serpent and went ahead with making his dish and enjoying it to the full.

The package it came from advertised the product as "Aroi" and "Sa-art" on the side - Delicious and Clean. 

Anyone for Som Tam?

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-11-27
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, plachon said:

What's the problem?

this is a non-news story, that is only for the titilation of those that are squeamish or prejudiced against Lao-Isaan folk for being too country bumpkinish and uncivilized compared to central Thais.

No problem.

Not about “prejudiced against Lao-Isaan”. Just a light story.

If you click the link and go down to “related matters”, they have another two story about have snake in blaraa, one Chaiyapum and Saraburi.

https://www.sanook.com/news/4606674/

https://www.sanook.com/news/7791118/

7DBE29E2-39B2-403E-90F1-DD01ED0F0623.jpeg

9 hours ago, Xaos said:

There was vid of how they doing that fermented fish. Keegs of it and live wite worms all over it. Most disgusting thing that is. Im fortunate my gf and her fam dont eat it. 

I pretty much throw up in my mouth even when I see someone else eating it.  Yuuuuucccckkkk.