Phone takes ages to recharge?

thecyclist

It happened all of a sudden : while before it took only 2 to 3 hours to go from lets say 30% to a 100%,now it takes all night. In 2 hours it creeps up only 10%.

Don't think it is the battery itself because once it's recharged, the power lasts just as long as before. Could it be the cable or the adapter? USB recharge cables range in price from 30 to 300 Baht, some promising an ultra fast recharge. Is there really a difference? 

Maybe cable, adapter or the socket into phone maybe worn/dirty? If its an Android device, try the free android app called Ampere to see how many mA is going in. I am experiencing same with one of my phones and the current varies from 2000mA to nothing at all during the charge process, whereas it might normally be maxed out at 2000mA all the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As in post #3, install "Ampere" to measure.

Standard charge rate is about 1000 mA (not fast charge).

Ampere also shows the battery temperature.

Try another cable, cable or socket may have worn out, bad contact.

Close all apps, switch off, restart the phone.

Remove any covers. They might contribute to heat developing during loading.

Heat throttles charging.

And if you can sustain: switch it off during loading :biggrin:

If all fails, try another charger.

Then time to visit a service booth where they might be able to change the battery even if it is "glued" (a brazen practice).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One more suggestion. Do a 'wipe cache partition' of the phone. Doing that resolved the same problem I was having with a phone. If you have never done that before, it's not that involved and does a lot to keep things going smooth.

Very easy to do a search and find out how to do it for the particular model you have. I would try that before doing a factory reset.

Edited by rwilem
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2019 at 6:08 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Yes, it could be the cable or the adapter.

And it could be the battery, especially if it is "old" and was charged many times.

About the adapter: Look at how many mA is can supply. The better adapters deliver 2000mA and more. I think (not sure) 2400 is the max for phones.

A typical USB port on a typical computer has only 500mA output. This is why charging on the computer takes a lot longer.

About the cable: It has to be good enough and obviously it should not have any problems.

A bad cable get's warm. A good one not.

You can buy cables i.e. in 7/11 for less than 200B which are good quality. Maybe cheaper, I forgot. I saw lots of cable boxes which show that the cables are good for 2.4A = 2400mA = what a powerful adapter can deliver.

Cables ain't cables it would seem. A friend put me onto some cheap cables outside TescoLotus.  No good and slow charge rate. Hard to justify that as only a couple of wires involved in the charge circuit. 

34 minutes ago, carlyai said:

Cables ain't cables it would seem. A friend put me onto some cheap cables outside TescoLotus.  No good and slow charge rate. Hard to justify that as only a couple of wires involved in the charge circuit. 

Signal cables can be very fine and flexible. Power cables need to be bigger, depending on the current.

Some users prefer thin and flexible cable and many users don't need "high" currents. 

Only some users want bigger cables for higher currents.

This is why they all have the choice.

On 12/1/2019 at 5:51 PM, thecyclist said:

It happened all of a sudden :

What brand/model phone is it? I had this issue recently with a Huawei Mate 9 that had worked flawlessly until now. I thought it must be cable or connection related, but then Huawei installed a new unannounced/unexplained o/s update and the recharging went back to normal. It seems to have been a dodgy system update from Huawei that started it and was fixed about 6 weeks later with a patch.