Dual Citizenship

I am married to a Thai lady. She is applying for US citizenship. If she succeedsin obtaining this citizenship status, what will her Visa requirement be when we make an extended visit to Thailand? Will she have to obtain Non-Immigrant visa as I do?

I am married to a Thai lady. She is applying for US citizenship. If she succeedsin obtaining this citizenship status, what will her Visa requirement be when we make an extended visit to Thailand? Will she have to obtain Non-Immigrant visa as I do?

The US and Thailand permit duality of citizenship. She can either get a non-immigrant visa for Thailand, as you do, or she can juggle between the two passports.

Senior Admin, I have a question as to which passport my wife should use for a long term stay on entering T :o hailand. Born in Thailand she is a U.S. citizen. If she enters Thailand on the U.S. Passport, with extended term Visa, I would gather the Thai government would consider her a U.S. Citizen during that stay. As such, could she legally buy land when entering on this passport? While a Thai national, she would be declaring herself to the Thai government as a U.S. Citizen for that stay. If entering Thailand with a Thai passport I believe she would be declaring herself a Thai national and thus have Thai nationality rights. Dual nationality is a very complicated area to me.

Why does she want her U.S. citizenship. If she has a green card she is a legal resident of the U.S. and does not need to be a citizen. This way she will have the best of both worlds.She can come and go to Thailand as she please with out any hassle from the U.S. immagration. This is what my wife has been doing for 15 years without any problem. She keeps her thai name and I.D. card with her Thai passport. This way she could own land in Thailand if she wanted. but the law has changed and now any thai woman can own land now.

Only thing she can't do is vote and I am pretty sure she over that sad news.

I would have her keep her Thai citzenship it maybe beneficial down the road.

Senior Admin, I have a question as to which passport my wife should use for a long term stay on entering T :o hailand. Born in Thailand she is a U.S. citizen. If she enters Thailand on the U.S. Passport, with extended term Visa, I would gather the Thai government would consider her a U.S. Citizen during that stay. As such, could she legally buy land when entering on this passport? While a Thai national, she would be declaring herself to the Thai government as a U.S. Citizen for that stay. If entering Thailand with a Thai passport I believe she would be declaring herself a Thai national and thus have Thai nationality rights. Dual nationality is a very complicated area to me.

If she keeps her Thai citizenship, and retains ( or reapplies for ) her Thai ID she can acquire land. You'll need to sign acknowledging that the funds are hers and you have no claim on the land/s. That she is also an American citizen matters not.

Senior Admin, Thank you. This forum has helped me a lot. It was not until the last months that through this Web site I came to understand that a change in Thai law made my wife eligible to apply for a new Thai Passport (in the 1970's being told Thai wives lose their Thai nationality on marrying a foreigner). While we have taken care of renewing her Thai passport my wife will have to renew her Thai I.D. when we return to Thailand. At that time she will start purchasing land for a retirement home for us. (She moving with me to the States when we were young and I moving with her to Thailand in retirement.) :o

Senior Admin, Thank you. This forum has helped me a lot. It was not until the last months that through this Web site I came to understand that a change in Thai law made my wife eligible to apply for a new Thai Passport (in the 1970's being told Thai wives lose their Thai nationality on marrying a foreigner). While we have taken care of renewing her Thai passport my wife will have to renew her Thai I.D. when we return to Thailand. At that time she will start purchasing land for a retirement home for us. (She moving with me to the States when we were young and I moving with her to Thailand in retirement.) :o

No problems Research. It will all work out. Take all her old docs when you go. Old Thai passport and ID, and house registration if she had her name included in the family home.

You should use the passport issued by the country you are entering when you have dual citizenship (unless military service type reasons not to do). In the case of the USA it is a requirement by law.

Why does she want her U.S. citizenship.

Why not? Have you tried world travel on a Thai passport? Give her the same rights you have. What hassle would she have from US Immigration? If you ever decide to move here she could lose that green card; but not citizenship.

research

We just went through the ordeal of getting my wife her thai id card. It was a painful process that took 3 years of trips to Thailand to get it(doing it on our vacations). Even if you have all your paper work in order the people at the amphur are difficult to deal with. My wife was looked at a hooker because she married a falang. Then she was look at as a trader for leaving her country and finally there was the people who think because she lives in the states she is rich and they want there share of her money.

It is frustrating. Best advice I can give you is to let your wife handle this alone and do not go to the amphur with her when she is doing the paper work. If they see you with her it will create a jealousy factor to the old prunes that work there, again making it more difficult for her.It will also help her if she can take her mother, father or siblings with her.

Good luck and remember

mai pen rai and singha go together

hi'

The US and Thailand permit duality of citizenship. She can either get a non-immigrant visa for Thailand, as you do, or she can juggle between the two passports.

doc, do you mean that only US and Thailand recognize dual citizenship?

because France do, but the French ambassy told me that Thailand simply don't, and I have a circulation visa for my daughter.

I do think that there a lot of missinformation here about dual citizenship.

if I believe my ambassy, Thailand doesn't accept it!

is it only for French people ... I don't think so.

so, once for good, check this information, so we can be sure!

it's not enough to say, as far as I know ...

this is the way I thought prior to get all these infos from the ambassy.

and the consulate repeat it to me, don't ever use the French passport here!

so, what's really about?

for me as coming from an official source : Thailand does not recognize dual-citizenship.

tell me somethig else with proof of it, and I might reconsider what the ambassy officer told me.

cheers

francois

ps; passport juggling .. anyone thought about seriously?

it's ok because on european side they don't bother to stamp, in here because they don't bother as long as you aren't black listed ...

but what if, one day a closer check shows that the kid comes from nowhere as no stamp or evidence would show as a visa ...?

this "old" way to do looks to be over ...

they give me a visa for my daughter to make her legal here and/or going in or out of here, her french passport will be used as an ID in France only.

so, I ask why did they tell me all this?

is it another Thai trick, a law but like the wind comes and goes?

Edited by francois

If I may, I have played with this subject a little and this is a little of what I have seen as far as Dual Citizenship (alot more obviously on this website alone):

1) From Immigration Division 3:

If a wife got U.S. citizen by marriage and she has never been submitted an application of abondon Thai nationality, she still has Thai nationality. (foreigner born in the refugee camp in Thailand has not acquired Thail nationality) holder of foreign passport and would like to apply for extension of stay must follow its procedure and regulation (even the former, she was Thai (dual citizens))

2) Phuket Gazette:

Dual nationality for Thais. If a Thai woman marries a man from the US and she later becomes a US citizen, does the Thai woman lose her Thai citizenship?

Monday, April 12, 2004 - Satchaphand Atthakor, Deputy Director-General, Consular Affairs Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

“Section 13 of the Citizenship Act 1965 stipulates that a female Thai national who marries a foreigner and is later granted citizenship by her foreign husband’s home country shall maintain her Thai nationality. There is no Thai law that stipulates that she must lose her Thai citizenship. However, she may choose to revoke her Thai citizenship, a decision the Thai government will announce the Government Gazette. For Thai children with dual nationality, the Citizenship Act (3rd issue) 1992 states that a Thai national with a foreign father may declare his or her intention to revoke Thai nationality within the year following the child’s 20th birthday. The law does not mention that the child will automatically have his or her Thai citizenship revoked. If the child does not declare his or her intention to revoke Thai citizenship, that child will still hold Thai nationality. ”

3) Thai Embassy Washington DC Website:

Most asked questions concerning Thai Citizenship issues:

1. Whether a person of Thai nationality who has married an alien and acquire nationality of his/her husband /wife lose his/her Thai nationality ?

The person is still a Thai nationality unless:- - He/She desires to renounce Thai nationality by declaring his/her intention to the competent authority. -His/Her Thai nationality is revoked by the Government of the Kingdom of Thailand.

I believe all hinges on if the Thai national, at time of gaining second citizenship, formally notifies the Thai government that he/she wishes to gives up their Thai citizenship. Even if they do, they can reapply for Thai citizenship with it suggested that they keep their Thai passport safe and sound to show Thai birth.

Doc,

Is it possible that you cut and paste Research's last post and make it a sticky at the top of this discussion board? It'll help alot of people and help alot of people who get the wrong information about this.

Doc,

Is it possible that you cut and paste Research's last post and make it a sticky at the top of this discussion board? It'll help alot of people and help alot of people who get the wrong information about this.

Shall do Chris. It was a good post and of use to others. I have no ideas for poor Francois. The French Embassy makes its rules as they go along too.