Three dead, dozens hurt after temple collapse

geovalin

Siem Reap city, Siem Reap province – At least three people died and about a dozen others were critically injured after a temple under construction in Siem Reap province collapsed yesterday afternoon. Siem Reap city Governor Nuon Phutheara said the collapse occurred at the Prasat Koukchak pagoda in Koukchak commune at about 2pm.

“Our joint forces are working hard to rescue people trapped under the rubble,” Mr Phutheara said. Tith Dira, chief of Koukchak commune, said 20 to 30 people were working at the construction site.

Mr Dira said most of the workers were village security guards who volunteered to construct the new temple. “I have no idea why it collapsed,” he said. “Police are now working on the case.”

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50666463/three-dead-dozens-hurt-after-temple-collapse/

1 hour ago, geovalin said:

“I have no idea why it collapsed,” he said.

This is not really what is written in the article :

The reason for the collapse was weak construction. [Workers were] putting slabs in the dining hall at the time of the incident. No one has been arrested. "

Why did this happen?  I think the following sentence from the story says it all.  Unqualified workers!

'most of the workers were village security guards who volunteered to construct the new temple'  Maybe good at getting things done around the farm where they are the only ones exposed to shoddy construction.  But, they should never be used to construct facilities that will be occupied and used by the general public.  Some serious licensing, inspection and qualified oversight is needed where the construction of public facilities is concerned.

Archived