Canadian hockey player returns home after undergoing groundbreaking spinal surgery in Thailand

webfact

Humboldt Broncos crash survivor returns home after Thailand spinal surgery

BILL GRAVELAND

CALGARY

THE CANADIAN PRESS

GF74FPIVGRBCZIF4QBZR7ZUVXI.jpg

Physiotherapists help Ryan Straschnitzki perform standing exercises following his epidural implant surgery at World Health Hospital in Nonthaburi, Thailand, on Dec. 6, 2019. CORY WRIGHT/THE CANADIAN PRESS

A hockey player paralyzed in the Humboldt Broncos bus crash says it feels good to be home after spending five weeks in Thailand, where he underwent spinal surgery.

“It feels good. I mean I felt that cold, cold wind hit my legs, so I’m feeling good. It’s good to be back,” Ryan Straschnitzki said Sunday night as he wheeled himself into the Calgary airport.

The 20-year-old from Airdrie, Alta., who is paralyzed from the chest down, had an epidural stimulator implanted in his spine while he was in Bangkok. A week later, doctors also injected stem cells above and below his spinal injury to try to reverse some of the damage.

Videos posted by Mr. Straschnitzki and his father in Thailand show him straightening a leg. In another, Mr. Straschnitzki kicks a ball.

Full story: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/article-humboldt-broncos-crash-survivor-back-home-after-thailand-spinal/

-- THE GLOBE AND MAIL 2019-12-10

31 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Way to go Ryan... Onwards and upwards, best of luck for the future mate.????

Now maybe some kind member on here could put up a few baht help me get the same treatment.????

start a fund I will kick some in for u , 

7 hours ago, colinneil said:

Way to go Ryan... Onwards and upwards, best of luck for the future mate.????

Now maybe some kind member on here could put up a few baht help me get the same treatment.????

Figure out the costs and I will certainly contribute, Colin.

Archived