Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

tourist visa to u.s-

I'm a u.s citizen , Going back to u.s in May for 1 month and want to bring my lady. She tried once before and was denied ( 2 yr ago ). Since we're going in May, when should she start the process ( I'm anticipating problems ). If she gets visa , say in January , will it still be good till May, . Thanks for information-

The most important part of doing the application is that your lady has proof she has strong reason to return to Thailand. If you have firm proof of your relationship your visa/extension status is important since that can be her reason to return. You need to be here on a long stay visa or extension of stay to meet that requirement,

There does not seem to be a fixed validity period for the B1 visa. I think it is determined by the intended date of entry to the states for a single entry visa.

I am sure you could start the application process in January. The first thing to do is for her to make an appointment,

Info is here for the application. https://th.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/

You do not mention how long you have been married but if the prior visa application was done only a short time (e.g. less than a year or two) after marriage she is in a stronger position to apply  now 2 years later.

It is not unknown for Thai women to marry men in order to get to the US or other country and then abandon spouse and overstay the visa,   so Consular officers are more likely to reject applications from recently married than those together longer.

The other concern is that people sometimes get a tourist visa as a shortcut when their actual intention is to move to the US. since spousal visas takes longer to obtain.  This is where you having a long term visa in Thailand indicating intention to remain/return here is important.

As UbonJoe pointed out the most important part of doing the application is that your lady has proof she has strong reason to return to Thailand.

If you are staying with here in Thailand on a long-term Visa (or extensions), that's indeed a very strong point.

If not, you would need to provide as much evidence as possible that she has reasons to return to Thailand.

Examples are:

- proof of property (house, land, car, ...);

- family (if she has children or dependent parents);

- a job

Also a bank-account in her name with sufficient funds would be helpful, to demonstrate that she is not fully independant financially from you.

Success!

Joe- just a update on my extended stay- went to sisaket io today, Thought since I have a "new" non -o immigrant 90 day, they would give my extension for 1 year- hahahah, what a surprise they didn't.  So in January I go back to Savannahket get another 90 day, then She said since I'm not married I can't get a 60 day ext. here in Sisaket, to go to Cambodia get a 30 day border visa ( I thinking tourist). When that is ready to expire Sisaket will extend for another 30. That will take me to June, Make another trip to Savannahket for 90, that will get me through Sept- all good after that.  So I guess what I'm saying is that I won't have a long stay stamp when my lady goes for the u.s tourist visa. But she has ample homes,land and business here. Plus I have no home in u.s anymore. Live here now-

14 hours ago, john thom said:

Joe- just a update on my extended stay- went to sisaket io today, Thought since I have a "new" non -o immigrant 90 day, they would give my extension for 1 year- hahahah, what a surprise they didn't.  So in January I go back to Savannahket get another 90 day, then She said since I'm not married I can't get a 60 day ext. here in Sisaket, to go to Cambodia get a 30 day border visa ( I thinking tourist). When that is ready to expire Sisaket will extend for another 30. That will take me to June, Make another trip to Savannahket for 90, that will get me through Sept- all good after that.  So I guess what I'm saying is that I won't have a long stay stamp when my lady goes for the u.s tourist visa. But she has ample homes,land and business here. Plus I have no home in u.s anymore. Live here now-

Hi John,

You wrote that you applied for an extension of stay based on your 90-day Non Imm O Visa, and that this was refused.

Can you provide some additional details:

- Since you are not married I presume your 90-day Non Imm O Visa was based on retirement.  When/where was it issued and what is/was the expiry date of that Visa?

- Did Sisaket IO explain the reason for the denial of your extension of stay based on that Visa?

There are multiple possible reasons for denial (e.g. application too early/too late, financials insufficient).

But when we know the reason, then can provide you with best options to proceed.

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi John,

You wrote that you applied for an extension of stay based on your 90-day Non Imm O Visa, and that this was refused.

Can you provide some additional details:

- Since you are not married I presume your 90-day Non Imm O Visa was based on retirement.  When/where was it issued and what is/was the expiry date of that Visa?

- Did Sisaket IO explain the reason for the denial of your extension of stay based on that Visa?

There are multiple possible reasons for denial (e.g. application too early/too late, financials insufficient).

But when we know the reason, then can provide you with best options to proceed.

Peter-  I've been retired here for almost 4 years, Sisaket IO didn't renew my 4th retirement Oct 2019) because u.s embassy stopped giving income letters as of jan 2019. opened thai bank account August 2019 and started transfers. As of Oct 2019 I only had 3 months of transfers, They said needed 12 ( even though was only 9th month of 2019, and showed them letter from Immigration stating new law and to renew, and let foreigners know that starting in 2020 they will need 12 months). Told me I had to go to Laos and get 90 non immigrant enough times to get 12 months of transfers, so that's what I'm doing. My lady has plenty of reasons to come back- ie, 2 homes, rice farm ,family restaurant, mom, plus I have no home in u.s., I live here now.  I'm pretty sure she can get u.s visa, just may take couple of times

20 minutes ago, john thom said:

Peter-  I've been retired here for almost 4 years, Sisaket IO didn't renew my 4th retirement Oct 2019) because u.s embassy stopped giving income letters as of jan 2019. opened thai bank account August 2019 and started transfers. As of Oct 2019 I only had 3 months of transfers, They said needed 12 ( even though was only 9th month of 2019, and showed them letter from Immigration stating new law and to renew, and let foreigners know that starting in 2020 they will need 12 months). Told me I had to go to Laos and get 90 non immigrant enough times to get 12 months of transfers, so that's what I'm doing. My lady has plenty of reasons to come back- ie, 2 homes, rice farm ,family restaurant, mom, plus I have no home in u.s., I live here now.  I'm pretty sure she can get u.s visa, just may take couple of times

Hi John,

If you would have done the transfers as from january (after the US embassy stopped providing the income letters) the Sisaket IO might have applied leniency, but in your case you had only 3 months of transfers instead of the 12 required.

But if the present solution suits you, and is not too inconvenient, you can simply continue.

I presume that you are aware that when you park 800.000 THB in a thai bank-account, and have it there already for 2 months before applying in the last month of your 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa for an extension of stay based on that Visa, that the extension will be approved. 

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

Hi John,

If you would have done the transfers as from january (after the US embassy stopped providing the income letters) the Sisaket IO might have applied leniency, but in your case you had only 3 months of transfers instead of the 12 required.

But if the present solution suits you, and is not too inconvenient, you can simply continue.

I presume that you are aware that when you park 800.000 THB in a thai bank-account, and have it there already for 2 months before applying in the last month of your 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa for an extension of stay based on that Visa, that the extension will be approved. 

Sorry, just realized I made a mistake.  The 800K does not need to be in your thai bank-account for 2 months.  It only has to be there when you apply for your extension of stay, based on the 90-day Non Imm O - retirement Visa.

Peter- yea, - all's cool here- no prob taking a little 3-4 day trip to Laos or Cambodia. Really don't want to keep my money tied up in a Thai bank. Told Sisaket IO my plan till next August ( when I'll have 12 months transfers) She gave it the thumbs up, so I'll go that route- no big deal for me-All good brother-

13 hours ago, john thom said:

Peter- yea, - all's cool here- no prob taking a little 3-4 day trip to Laos or Cambodia. Really don't want to keep my money tied up in a Thai bank. Told Sisaket IO my plan till next August ( when I'll have 12 months transfers) She gave it the thumbs up, so I'll go that route- no big deal for me-All good brother-

Kwaibah posted a SAD icon on my 'correction'.  And indeed, I must have been completely confused when posting the correction.  Please disregard my post #9 with the correction, as the initial post #8 was fully correct.

Sorry about the confusion I might have caused.

Success and trips to Cambodia - Siem Reap and Laos - Luang Prabang, are very nice options when you have to exit/re-enter Thailand.

Archived