Never be misunderstood in Thailand again! Google’s new 'Interpreter Mode' helps you translate Thai

webfact

Never be misunderstood in Thailand again! Google’s new 'Interpreter Mode' helps you translate Thai

oole.jpg

file photo

The days of miscommunication and misunderstandings between foreigners and Thai speakers could be all but over, and it’s all thanks to Google.

The tech giant has just rolled out a powerful new update to Google Assistant that could change the way Thais and foreigners communicate.

Google’s new Interpreter Mode lets you have a conversation with someone who speaks a different language through the Google Assistant app.

The new feature enables a conversation to be translated in real time.

To use the feature make sure you have Google Assistant installed on your device.

Once installed, open the app and say “Hey Google, be my Thai translator” or “Hey Google, help me speak Thai”.

You then speak your phrase and Google Assistant translates not only the audio but also the text in real time. The other person can then speak into your phone to keep the two way conversation going.

The feature doesn’t only translate Thai and English but is also capable of translating a total of different 44 languages.

The Interpreter Mode, which was first announced earlier this year, is now available in the latest version of the Google Assistant app on iOS and Android and is being rolled out to users around the world. 

If you haven’t already received the update, expect it to become available within the coming weeks.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-12-13

Sounds good, though it will need to be a very serious improvement on the translator apps I have seen before, which provide all sorts of unintelligible garbage a fair chunk of the time. I will definitely check it out though when it is available.

Google translate has been dong this for at least 2 years now, I used pixel buds with my Japanese friend and had no trouble him speaking Japanese and me Finnish. Thai has completely sucked though, did they finally activate Google's AI based translation for it?

EDIT: Meh. Still the same translate. The difference seems to be Assistant knows how to open it in Thai<->English mode.

20 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

is it from google translate or do we have to download something else

if you have an android phone then google asstant is already intalled just make sure its enable in the settings if not you can download it from the play store or from the app store for iphome or ipad

7 hours ago, uesnyc said:

I played with it today. Try saying "mai pben rai"..

Google thinks you're finished and stops translating.

Try saying mai pen rai instead and don't make too long a pause before continuing to speak.

At any rate, the Thai interpreter is intended for you to speak in your mother tongue when conversing with a Thai and for the other person to speak in Thai.

I just installed the Assistant now on my Samsung, and yes this is a different world than the old Google translate. 

You can actually put normal sentences together and it sounds logical. But I would like to have a male voice instead of female voice next time I call someone..... 

10 hours ago, Puccini said:

Try saying mai pen rai instead and don't make too long a pause before continuing to speak.

At any rate, the Thai interpreter is intended for you to speak in your mother tongue when conversing with a Thai and for the other person to speak in Thai.

It was a joke!

I just installed it. What fun!  I had it translating things like "Let's get a hotel room" and "I'm going to kick your azz".  I had my wife laughing, though she didn't think the translation was all that great. Minor points of grammar or choice of words, whatever.  Still very impressive.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

OK, how does this work?

I have Android and it responds to OK google.

But when I say Help me speak Thai it just shows Thai learning websites.

https://www.blog.google/products/assistant/interpreter-mode-brings-real-time-translation-your-phone/

So how to get into translator mode?

It's possible your Google Assistant has not yet been updated. To be certain open Google Play and see if there are any updates queued. 

8 hours ago, balo said:

I just installed the Assistant now on my Samsung, and yes this is a different world than the old Google translate. 

For me it simply opened the Google Translate app. Are you getting something within the assistant itself? I got a Pixel 3 XL Google phone with all the latest updates.

EDIT: Suddenly it started working. Looks like an upgrade/rebranding of the translate app within the assistant itself. Didn't really pick up Thai automatically, I had to manually select the spoken language. It's a good start. Now everybody can start to listen what the Thais are talking about without learning the language. Prepare to be disappointed.

• 2 weeks later...

I am skeptical that this is any more than a clever way to access the current Google translate app. 

Surely Google did not develop an entirely new and wonderful translation app just for Assistant. 

The translate app works reasonably well if you use short and concise sentences. Multi- phrase sentences are usually conflated and garbled in amusing ways. 

I never use voice assistant from any company on any platform. It's just more information that they can sell to others. Putting one of these confounded things in your home is like wearing transparent clothing everywhere you go. 

Archived