How to bring 600,000 THB into Thailand with no Thai Bank Account?

I am making a 600,000 THB purchase next month. The person selling the item wants a Bank Check. I am a US citizen and I do not have a Thai Bank account and would prefer not to open one. I have this money right now in a US bank account. Any suggestions how I can get this money into Thailand and issue the person selling the item a certified bank check without having a Thai bank account? If I need to pay a reasonable fee to a service to do this that is okay as long as it is reputable.

You can get a cashiers cheque from any main bank branch.  Just take in the cash and it can be issued for only Bt20 per cheque. This per Krungsri Bank website, as an example.

Bringing uSD cash should be OK. Just ensure you declare it at both ends. Then do the conversion at an exchange place, not a main bank branch. 

27 minutes ago, dabhand said:

You can get a cashiers cheque from any main bank branch.  Just take in the cash and it can be issued for only Bt20 per cheque. This per Krungsri Bank website, as an example.

Bringing uSD cash should be OK. Just ensure you declare it at both ends. Then do the conversion at an exchange place, not a main bank branch. 

I should have mentioned I'm already in Thailand and hope to accomplish this without leaving Thailand, so some type of wire will be needed I think?

6 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Which US banks do you have? 

There's a bunch of branches for Citibank, i would talk with them if they can withdraw money for you (cash advance).

I have Bank of America, Schwab and TD Ameritrade. I have a Chase credit card. 

32 minutes ago, wasabi said:

I have Bank of America, Schwab and TD Ameritrade. I have a Chase credit card. 

You can transfer max. USD 5000 per 1 Transaction with Western Union and pic up the money at a Western Union office in Thailand. 

Cost per transaction USD 5.

So you will need to make 5 WU transfers to TH

You can pay Western Union by bank transfer from any of your US Banks

https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/web/send-money/start

Edited by Crisu

25 minutes ago, Crisu said:

You can transfer max. USD 5000 per 1 Transaction with Western Union and pic up the money at a Western Union office in Thailand. 

Cost per transaction USD 5.

So you will need to make 5 WU transfers to TH

You can pay Western Union by bank transfer from any of your US Banks

https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/web/send-money/start

That may be a good option. 600k THB is about 20k USD so should only require 4 passes. Can you do multiple on one day?

10 hours ago, wasabi said:

I just read you can transfer up to 250,000 Thai Baht in one pass so that may be the best option.

Not if you want to pick up the money in cash in thailand. Limit is then 5.000 USD.

If i understand correct you need cash money in TH and not transfer into an other account.

I not know if you can do 4 cash payments in 1 day. This i never tried

Edited by Crisu

I used worldremit twice in thailand  before getting a bank account there, very efficient and low fees compared to others.

Limit is around 5k usd i believe and you get the cash at any branch of Government Savings Bank with the confirmation email with instruction in it.

I think you are allowed to take US $20.000 without registering it when you arrive. It means that you are just a couple of thousand bahts over the limit (the rate today is 30.2 baht /$). How to get a bank check without having an account sounds more difficult. The easiest way is to open an account in a thai bank and transfer the money from your own bank. Then it shouldn't be a problem to get a check or transfer the money to the sellers account. When you've done that you can kill the account if you don't want to have an account in a thai bank. Good luck !

PS If you trust the seller you can also move the money from your account to his directly from your own bank.

I think you are allowed to take US $20.000 without registering it when you arrive. It means that you are just a couple of thousand bahts over the limit (the rate today is 30.2 baht /$). How to get a bank check without having an account sounds more difficult. The easiest way is to open an account in a thai bank and transfer the money from your own bank. Then it shouldn't be a problem to get a check or transfer the money to the sellers account. When you've done that you can kill the account if you don't want to have an account in a thai bank. Good luck !

PS If you trust the seller you can also move the money from your account to his directly from your own bank.

PPS Sorry for the double post.

Edited by milys
Posted twice