Best available watering system?

Tagged

What is the best affordable effective irrigation system you can get in Thailand? My father in law wanted to build more of this, but I truly do not like all this cheep plastic spread out on the land. If you have time post links and pics of different options. 

BA46E90F-9C27-4531-9857-894D385A5C96.jpeg

1 minute ago, Thomas J said:

Drip irrigation is the most efficient.  You end up dripping water so very little evaporation.  This is just one example.  You can bury underground for even less water loss. 

We have grass, so I was more looking for a smaller version like this, at least in my mind. Small enough for an ATV 250cc to pull around. 

D880F266-20B4-4A10-A8B8-B3DF834CBD70.jpeg

1 minute ago, Tagged said:

Maybe I should put it like this: What can I get for 50 000, up to 100 000,- that will last for years? Not to complicated and not 100 of meters of blue cheep plastic. 

Have a look through the products here,might be something similar although i've only seen the impact sprinklers here.

To power a big impact you are going to probably spend about 30,000 for decent pump and engine then you have your hose and sprinkler.It's doable.

https://www.bigsprinkler.com/products 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Tagged said:

We have grass, so I was more looking for a smaller version like this, at least in my mind. Small enough for an ATV 250cc to pull around. 

D880F266-20B4-4A10-A8B8-B3DF834CBD70.jpeg

They is a place near me that has this type of sprinkler  system ,I think it was 1 1/2 inch pipe ,not certain on the length of the pipe ,they where selling it for 120 000 baht ,but they will knock a bit off that price.

And I think it was Italian ,so it is a good one. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

I think it is best for small lawns, and would worry about service 3,5 rai with this kind of system. When it comes to watering, I believe gras and trees need a bit of watering  above the roots as well. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Maybe I should put it like this: What can I get for 50 000, up to 100 000,- that will last for years? Not to complicated and not 100 of meters of blue cheep plastic. 

Theres  blue  pipe and blue  pipe, buy the higher bar  pressure 13.5  pipe and the better SCG  glue...........Ive  got 400+ sprinklers all at ground  level not raised off the ground just close to each tree  which soaks  the soil around the tree all have a mulch around their base to keep water in  and water in the evenings  so  less  evaporation. Sprinklers are spray head type  not those rotating things which will eventually  fail anyway due to moving parts

Edited by Chazar
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Thomas J said:

Drip irrigation is the most efficient.  You end up dripping water so very little evaporation.  This is just one example.  You can bury underground for even less water loss. 

Stray  dogs  will  love to rip that stuff  to shreds  in Thailand.......just for  fun

18 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Theres  blue  pipe and blue  pipe, buy the higher bar  pressure 13.5  pipe and the better SCG  glue...........Ive  got 400+ sprinklers all at ground  level not raised off the ground just close to each tree  which soaks  the soil around the tree all have a mulch around their base to keep water in  and water in the evenings  so  less  evaporation. Sprinklers are spray head type  not those rotating things which will eventually  fail anyway due to moving parts

No lenght of parts I would glue, since I would very much like to remove it every rain season, and as well have something on wheels, that is easy to move around when necessery. Another good point mentioned @Chazar is the uv light and plastic. Im will try to keep the place neat and tidy as possible. It is my hobby and not farming for money, but also productivity for the family to grow what they need of vegetable and fruit, as sell whats leftover for the social part of it on the marked for her mom. 

• Like 2

Something like this would have been perferct, but to much parts, and to much than can be broken. 

So something like this would do the job. Easy to wrap up fire hoses as well and store them. The question is where in Thailand can I get them? 

1 hour ago, Tagged said:

Something like this would have been perferct, but to much parts, and to much than can be broken. 

So something like this would do the job. Easy to wrap up fire hoses as well and store them. The question is where in Thailand can I get them? 

by those  inflatable hoses that  go flat when no water is  pumped  thru them, cheap  enough all the locals  use  these

cheap-farm-pipe-pvc-layflat-hose-for.jpg

Edited by Chazar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tagged said:

I'm no engineer, but that second model, the one you said would do the job, looks like something that a decent welder could put together for you. It really doesn't look all that complicated. Wheels and steel you can get at hardware stores and probably the "head" (sprinkler) too. Not sure where you'd source the hitch to connect it to your ATV.  

Edited by djayz
Typo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, djayz said:

I'm no engineer, but that second model, the one you said would do the job, looks like something that a decent welder could put together for you. It really doesn't look all that complicated. Wheels and steel you can get at hardware stores and probably the "head" (sprinkler) too. Not sure where you'd source the hitch to connect it to your ATV.  

Thats a good idea, buy some parts in europe, and get it fixed with connections, ready to be mounted on a frame in Thailand! ????

5 hours ago, Chazar said:

Stray  dogs  will  love to rip that stuff  to shreds  in Thailand.......just for  fun

Wrong, never seen or herd of dogs ripping this stuff .

Rats and red ants are the problem.

And the blue pvc pipe dose not get degraded by sunlight ,we have pvc pipe on top of the land being exposed to sunlight for some years now never a problem .

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kickstart said:

Wrong, never seen or herd of dogs ripping this stuff .

Rats and red ants are the problem.

And the blue pvc pipe dose not get degraded by sunlight ,we have pvc pipe on top of the land being exposed to sunlight for some years now never a problem .

As long you leave it, and do not need to handle the pvc its okay, but for me it will be rigging up and down for the season. And I guess those is not suitable to do so? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kickstart said:

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but if you try moving, twisting, bending that PVC, it'll disintegrate on the spot. With time, it becomes very brittle being exposed to the sunlight. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

54 minutes ago, IsaanAussie said:

I spent many years in the plastics industry and UV stability has always been a major issue. All plastics exposed to the UV levels here do degrade, the cheaper the product the faster the degradation.

Same as exposed to frost. The more expensive pvc had more softener in the mix, and therefor more toxic to inviroment and also people. 

22 hours ago, Tagged said:

As long you leave it, and do not need to handle the pvc its okay, but for me it will be rigging up and down for the season. And I guess those is not suitable to do so? 

We use to grow maize ,and used 3 inch pvc pipe and fittings ,and the pipes where moved about all the time 

Just looked at my record book and this was 12 years ago ,the pipe work is with us ,we last used it 4 years ago ,and now wife's son-in-law wants to buy the pipes to irrigate his rice ,a few pipes are a bit brittle but most are ok.

The wife has been using 3-4 pipes taking gray water from the washing machine and piping it across the garden ,to fruit trees ,been doing this for 8 years  now , pipes being moved all the time , the pipes are  still in good nick .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We layed out the pipe after my final go round with the slasher in November.....but now it's all buried.  For permanent pipe outdoors paint it white with any cheap plastic paint. That blue hose that goes flat when empty is OK to connect one pipe to another But for longer runs the stitched nylon hose that goes flat when empty is cheaper by a big margin. My Thai family don't care to much where the Blue pipe goes! Around the back of house.

IMG20190321112344.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2019 at 3:14 PM, Thomas J said:

I just buildt this for the entiere land, and it works very well. 

The water really gets deep in, and little evaporation as you said. Thumbs up even I had to spread out cheap plastic all over, it is time saving, and very efficient system for little money, as well on gravity feed. 

66E059DF-1707-4BB6-B75F-C89B3D01CA9D.jpeg

3959E055-E48E-4891-A052-37256F0C7E84.jpeg

144AF6C9-6DC7-449E-96B1-7CE494089D9C.jpeg

886DD9FF-6A0C-497F-B160-826895397081.jpeg

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1