Phuket Opinion: Drugs on the streets

webfact

Phuket Opinion: Drugs on the streets

By The Phuket News

1577441106_1-org.jpg

With the volume and prevalence of drugs on the island, police need to check drivers for more than just alcohol. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET: The news this week of Phuket having amongst the highest number of prosecutions for drugs in the country should not come as much of a surprise, it has been a long time coming.

The prevalence of drug use on the island has been on the rise for years. Only this time last year it was revealed that Phuket was facing its worst state in the fight against drugs with more drugs on the island than ever before and on average 23 people being arrested for drugs every day of the year.

That trend has continued, as evidenced by the ever-ongoing number of arrests of minor dealers and and users, most for drugs possession. While most of those arrested are wayward young people testing the boundaries between social behaviour and the law, many of them are also everyday people caught up in recreational drug use. That factor finally appears to be understood by the authorities, with anti-drugs awareness campaigns now targetting the average citizen.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-opinion-drugs-on-the-streets-74171.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-12-30

5 minutes ago, webfact said:

While most of those arrested are wayward young people testing the boundaries between social behaviour and the law, many of them are also everyday people caught up in recreational drug use.

"testing the boundaries" I think that's a stretch!

"caught up in recreational drug use" This sounds more like reality!

8 hours ago, webfact said:

While most of those arrested are wayward young people testing the boundaries between social behaviour and the law, many of them are also everyday people caught up in recreational drug use

Has been going on for years, and IMO is getting worse, and I'm not too sure that it's the people "testing the boundaries" which is the main cause, and something was posted a few years back, and endorsed by me, when times here started to get a bit tough, and that being that petty crime would increase.

Again, in my opinion, many young folk are getting onto this because it's an easy way to make money, when there is not much work around for them, so, easy to make a few baht wheeling and dealing in this sort of cr@p.

• Like 1