yellow book (again)

22 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

*Regarding the Driving license - I’ve read (on this forum) that some DLT’s do not accept the Yellow House Book as proof of address... this would be rather frustrating after jumping through hoops.

As far as I'm aware that only happens in Pattaya........but you can renew you TDL at any licencing office, not just your local one. So if your local office won't accept it (Pattaya) simply go to a nearby office that will (Chonburi, Satahip, etc). Problem solved.

18 hours ago, Maestro said:

I believe the MFA does not verify the translation but it authenticates the signature of the translator.

FYI.... The MFA, Consular Division, Legalisation Department do in fact verify the translation be it from English to Thai or visa a versa.  The whole purpose of having a document legalised is to certify that the translations is accurate.

I recall many years ago when Miss MoneyBaht and I were getting married in Bangkok, I needed to get various documents translated from English to Thai and then have them legalised by MFA.  MFA rejected one of the documents because the translation from the original English to Thai was incorrect.  Fortunately it was not a 'show stopper' as we used the translation shop located on the 2nd floor and they corrected the error within a few minutes.  MFA then stamped their red 'seal' on each document (including the original English) and we were ready to go. 

I think that you are confusing the situation when some people (myself included) who were supplied with embassy letters confirming their income in order to support their extension of permission to stay were instructed by some immigration offices to have the letter certified by MFA.  In these cases MFA obviously could not verify the details contained within the embassy letter, but what they did do was to verify that the signature of the embassy officer on the letter was authentic and they put a sticker on the back of the embassy letter confirming that the signature was authentic.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

*Regarding the Driving license - I’ve read (on this forum) that some DLT’s do not accept the Yellow House Book as proof of address... this would be rather frustrating after jumping through hoops.

Has anyone renewed their Driving Licence at the DLT in Bangkok (Area 3, next to 99 Sukhumvit rd) using their Yellow house book as proof of address ????

I renewed my 5 year licence in September last year at the DLT HQ near Mo Chit.  I went there a few day before to enquire what documents they required.  The reception staff on the 2nd floor of building No. 4 where the licences are issued were very helpful, albeit with limited English.

As well as copies of my passport photo page and visa stamp, they stated that I needed to provide either a letter from Immigration or my embassy confirming my address.  I informed them that I had a yellow book and pink card and enquired if these were acceptable as proof of my address.  They advised that if my current driving licence showed my name in English and my passport number on it then the yellow book/pink card would not be accepted for renewing my licence.  They said that this is because my name in the yellow book was in Thai and they (DLT) are not authorised/qualified to authenticate the translation between the English on the original licence and the Thai in the yellow book.

They did say that if I was applying for a licence for the first time, then the yellow book would be accepted and my name and address would appear on the licence in Thai. 

• Like 2