Drunk Scottish Driver In Horrific Accident.............

libya 115

Someone mentioned he should be made to pay compensation based on the poor dead guys salary. This is a principal I find quite abhorrent as it means a lesser punishment for killing someone of lower social standing than if the deceased were a high flying executive. There have been cases in the UK where medical negligence has caused the death or severe disability of someone and the compensation payment from the health authority has been based on the potential earnings of the victim. I think this is totally wrong as the value of all lives should be equal.

The **** should be forced to heavily compensate the poor guy and his family and then go to jail. :o

Better yet, he should be forced to remain in Thailand and work to support the victim's family. That and pay for whatever prosthetic equipment can help the victim regain some of the quality of life he will lose over this.

No doubt that the clown who hit him will be back home long before this man's suffering ends.

Mr. Rosner is astonished that he not only agrees with CDNVIC but CDNVIC just posted a cogent position on the topic.

Please read below at the end of this edited post by "sriracha john"

It clearly says here that "his family and friends are disgusting..."

Like I say NOTHING TO DO WITH HIS FAMILY OR FRIENDS. The blame lies with him.

Sure they are worried about him as anyone would be about their son or friend, in trouble in a foreign country, you can't blame them for that. It doesn't make them disgusting or anything.

I was looking for the other posts on this subject, where postees were saying the family of McCarry were scum, but alas I cannot find them, however I will keep looking for them and quote them back.

Roo

Australia.

*CAUTION: Extremely unsettling update. Those with high blood pressure are advised to skip reading this*

UPDATE...as the story goes international, turns out the victim died the day after the original post

THAI HORROR

EXCLUSIVE Drink-drive Scot under house arrest for killing binman

A SCOTS drink-driver is under house arrest in Thailand accused of crushing a binman to death while four times the limit.

Gordon McCarry, 24, piled into the back of a refuse truck in Pattaya at high speed, severing the 50-year-old worker's legs. The man, who had been standing behind the truck picking up a bin, died in hospital 24 hours later.

Holidaymaker McCarry was held in cells overnight before being released on bail. He has had his passport confiscated and cannot leave the country.

He has admitted drink-driving but may face further charges over the man's death.

McCarry, of Partick, Glasgow, had been in the resort with his twin brother David and was staying with relatives.

Last night his mother Rona Griffiths, 55, said he faces months of uncertainty before finding out what he is charged with. She added: "Gordon has pled guilty to the drink-drive part of the charge and been fined around £70 but we do not know what is going to happen with the other charges.

"He says he wasn't drunk the night the accident happened but had been drinking the previous day. He is not a drinker normally. "He had gone for a holiday with his brother and decided to stay on because he was enjoying himself."

"He is on bail but has been told he cannot leave the country. David has since come back and is in a daze over what has happened.

Gordon himself can't take it in and finds it difficult to talk about what happened.

"My partner Chris and I were due to go on holiday to Spain this week but had to cancel because of the uncertainty over Gordon."

"It is difficult to get answers from the Thai authorities because things move so slowly out there."

"We are all beside ourselves with worry. Our worse fear is that the Thais will send him to prison." McCarry was cruising around Pattaya in a hired Honda Jazz car when the fatal crash happened in the town's Jontien Beach area on April 1.

His breath test reading was 211 milligrams - more than four times the legal limit of 50.

A witness said: "The driver came at high speed as if he did not even see the truck. It smashed right into the rear, which had this man standing behind."

A Thai newspaper report claimed McCarry was initially too drunk to give a statement to police, who were alerted by staff at a nearby store who saw the crash.

It's understood the car was a write-off but McCarry only suffered minor cuts and bruises. Police in Pattaya last week launched a crackdown on drink driving following a spate of incidents involving drunk tourists.

Penalties have been increased - in future first time drink drivers will be given community service and probation rather than just a fine.

- The Sunday Mail (UK)

==========================

I can't recall reading a more anger-provoking story in quite some time.

The perps' family and friends are disgusting...

Penalties have been increased - in future first time drink drivers will be given community service and probation rather than just a fine.

- The Sunday Mail (UK)

==========================

Penalties have been increased by whom? The police? Do they make as well as sometimes enforce said law?

Our worse fear is that the Thais will send him to prison

huh? what do they expect, the thais should just let him go with a slap on the wrist? so incredibly selfish, these people. how about an "i'm sorry" for taking first a guy's legs and then his life?!?!

Our worse fear is that the Thais will send him to prison

huh? what do they expect, the thais should just let him go with a slap on the wrist? so incredibly selfish, these people. how about an "i'm sorry" for taking first a guy's legs and then his life?!?!

You know that if the tables were turned, the Thais would not be apologizing to any farang.

UPDATE...as the story goes international, turns out the victim died the day after the original post

THAI HORROR

EXCLUSIVE Drink-drive Scot under house arrest for killing binman

A SCOTS drink-driver is under house arrest in Thailand accused of crushing a binman to death while four times the limit.

Gordon McCarry, 24, piled into the back of a refuse truck in Pattaya at high speed, severing the 50-year-old worker's legs. The man, who had been standing behind the truck picking up a bin, died in hospital 24 hours later.

Last night his mother Rona Griffiths, 55, said he faces months of uncertainty before finding out what he is charged with. She added: "Gordon has pled guilty to the drink-drive part of the charge and been fined around £70 but we do not know what is going to happen with the other charges.

"He says he wasn't drunk the night the accident happened but had been drinking the previous day. He is not a drinker normally. "He had gone for a holiday with his brother and decided to stay on because he was enjoying himself."

His breath test reading was 211 milligrams - more than four times the legal limit of 50.

A Thai newspaper report claimed McCarry was initially too drunk to give a statement to police, who were alerted by staff at a nearby store who saw the crash.

It's understood the car was a write-off but McCarry only suffered minor cuts and bruises.

- The Sunday Mail (UK)

If he wasn't drunk on 211 milligrams then what condition was he in?

If that was the remnant from 24 hours previously, then he'd be dead from alcohol poisoning - not even a Glaswegian could hold that much in his bloodstream for 24 hours.

He should be made responsible for his actions - but how? Can't see how any compensation can be enforced. Jail doesn't benefit the bereaved.

Edited by Humphrey Bear

shouldnt the hire car company or persons also be held responsible in some way,bet the drunkard doesnt even hold a u/k driving liscence let alone a Thai /International one

let the b####r spend a few years in the monkey house then deport him to be prosocuted in jock land as well.

prosocute the hire company also

Why the hel_l should the rental company be responsible??

shouldnt the hire car company or persons also be held responsible in some way,bet the drunkard doesnt even hold a u/k driving liscence let alone a Thai /International one

let the b####r spend a few years in the monkey house then deport him to be prosocuted in jock land as well.

prosocute the hire company also

Why the hel_l should the rental company be responsible??

I believe you need a Thai or International licence to drive here legally, your UK licence on its own is not acceptable. If he didn't have either of these and the rental company hired him the car anyway then they could be held partly responsible. If he had a valid licence then they cannot.

I believe you need a Thai or International licence to drive here legally, your UK licence on its own is not acceptable. If he didn't have either of these and the rental company hired him the car anyway then they could be held partly responsible. If he had a valid licence then they cannot.

So the rental company may be guilty of renting-out a vehicle without proper documentation (this has not been stated / proven in any news article) but they are in no way responsible for the lessee getting blind drunk and killing someone.

This is 99% the Jock's fault, 1% the bar-owners' fault who got him tanked up like that - unless he bought the stuff at a 7-11.

So the rental company may be guilty of renting-out a vehicle without proper documentation (this has not been stated / proven in any news article) but they are in no way responsible for the lessee getting blind drunk and killing someone.

This is 99% the Jock's fault, 1% the bar-owners' fault who got him tanked up like that - unless he bought the stuff at a 7-11.

No. You are 100% responsible for your own behavior.

No. You are 100% responsible for your own behavior.

Not when you have a blood/alcohol level of 211 milligrams.

He was responsible for pouring that much into his mouth, but should never have been allowed out afterwards - unless, as I said before, he did his drinking in his own room.

If he was in a bar then the bar owner / manager should not have served him that much. This is 2 1/2 times the UK limit. In some countries the limit is lower. Just not reasonable.

I've still not heard anything back from the Sunday Mail - perhaps events in Glasgow have taken priority.

Does anyone have any news on whether the guy is still held in Thailand, or has he escaped his responsibilities?

Local newspapers so very seldom follow up on a story unless everything is spoon-fed to them. They're not newspapermen, just reprinting police hand-outs.

I've still not heard anything back from the Sunday Mail - perhaps events in Glasgow have taken priority.

Does anyone have any news on whether the guy is still held in Thailand, or has he escaped his responsibilities?

Local newspapers so very seldom follow up on a story unless everything is spoon-fed to them. They're not newspapermen, just reprinting police hand-outs.

Following up these stories is probably too much like hard work.

Have not found any additional news or follow-ups, either locally or internationally.