Major issue with D/L speeds outside Thailand 7-9th January

Speedhump

For 3 days my 200/200 3BB fibre has been getting wired LAN speeds of 10-15 Mbps from major IT and university servers in Italy, UK, US and Canada. Wireless 5-7 Mbps, and fine for streaming TV but not much else. Speed from Singapore Singtel is fine. I usually get 50-60 Mbps wireless to UK and US servers, for 2-3 years now.

Upload speed is still close to 400 Mbps (I guess I was upgraded free to 400/400 when I renewed in December, vaguely remember they might have said this).

After the usual 'we don't guarantee speeds to servers outside Thailand' speech from a 'special engineer' (which came after the usual 'this is a normal speed for connections outside Thailand' speech from the call-out engineers), he admitted that if there is some problem with (for example) a subsea cable link under repair that they cant route around, or other problem, then they should know and be able and prepared to advise customers. The special engineer says his system only shows quite a few problems with their link to their HK server over recent weeks, but nothing else.

Anyone else notice problems with their ISP since Tuesday? I told him politely that my complaint stands and I do require further investigation and explanation. I won't eat until I get it (you may read about my death in the news after a few weeks).

On AIS Fibre 500/200 plan...but I'm using their SpeedToggle capability to run at 700/50 instead.  No problem/change in international speeds.  I just tested to San Jose California at 8pm Thailand time (peak usage time) and got a 105Mb download speed.

The engineer's response of an ".....undersea cable line problem..." may have just been an excuse....a catchall excuse ISPs will frequently use.  

11 hours ago, Pib said:

On AIS Fibre 500/200 plan...but I'm using their SpeedToggle capability to run at 700/50 instead.  No problem/change in international speeds.  I just tested to San Jose California at 8pm Thailand time (peak usage time) and got a 105Mb download speed.

The engineer's response of an ".....undersea cable line problem..." may have just been an excuse....a catchall excuse ISPs will frequently use.  

Thanks, I tested this morning and Vodaphone London and Orange Paris servers coming in at speed. So I guess whatever it was is fixed, cross fingers.

The 'cable dragged by an anchor' was my suggestion, used to happen in the UAE occasionally, the phone support guys in 3BB wouldn't have the naus to think of something, they just avoid the problem with 'we don't guarantee international speeds'. OK, don't guarantee it (apart from to their own servers overseas), but admit when there's a major problem!

I just hate the lack of transparency. If speeds are down for three days solid, there's no way they don't know it, they just hope most people won't even notice (which is true), but at least they should make the info available for the people who do care.

Archived