Suan Lum

andyashley

Thats why Guns and Roses played a surprise gig there last week........

They thought it would be closed and no one would be there!

Seriously, did anyone see the gig, they apparently there was some objection to the name so it was headlined as Roses & Guns! Shame i missed it!

Serious? Oh man. I need to get more connected. :o

I don't think many people knew about it. I understand the T.shirts were printed upside down to circumvent copyright issues and are now worth a fortune on ebay.

As for the night bazaar, I spoke to a stall holder last week and he told me end of summer (probably September). Who knows.

As for the night bazaar, I spoke to a stall holder last week and he told me end of summer (probably September). Who knows.

Could be, the developer who bought that land got cold feet about starting a new construction now. Maybe better to wait and see and collect the rent in the meantime?

I too read the signage about having to move out by 31 March. But have also noticed that the shops etc still appear to be operating. I know a guy who has a shop there and I asked him about the closure last Saturday, (31 March). He told me "no way". So I'm at a complete loss to understand the situation. The heavy machinery to effect changes appears to be in place along the roadside in Wittayu, and at the intersection with Rama IV. I suspect it's a question of waiting until after Songkran. The land is owned by the Crown Propery Bureau, and the developer is Central, I read. Development to include shopping malls, hotel etc.

Edited by samtam

"Could be, the developer who bought that land got cold feet about starting a new construction now"

Could be. On the other hand, the latst publicized development schedule indicated that the entire project would take almost a decade to complete. I'ts hard to believe that anything that has happened in the past 6 months would derail a 10-year plan.

The first preparations to construct the Regent Condo on Suk were made almost 10 months before the construction equipment appeared. It would be difficult to believe that the Suan Lum market would close on one week, and have the heavy equipment show up the next.

Thats why Guns and Roses played a surprise gig there last week........

They thought it would be closed and no one would be there!

Seriously, did anyone see the gig, they apparently there was some objection to the name so it was headlined as Roses & Guns! Shame i missed it!

It was an interesting gig for sure, but hardly any people, making for a pretty dead atmosphere.

Didn't even know about that gig, what a shame!

To be honest I don't like them and was dragged along by a friend ... but it was strange that there seemed to be more excitement about the merchandising than the gig.

[Edited in: I loved the support act though!]

Edited by MarkBKK

[Edited in: I loved the support act though!]

You're joking! Post-industrial urban emo-lite is so over. And what was with that cover version of More than a Feeling?

Shoe-gazers of the world unite! (or should that be 'ignite'?)

OK, they weren't very good. I suppose I just preferred them to the headliners ... was that supposed to be 'More Than a Feeling'? I thought it sounded vaguely familiar.

Getting back on topic, I spoke to a friend who has a shop at Suan-Lum Night Bazaar and was told that no-one was really sure what was going on.

• 1 month later...

For all those shop keepers who were unsure about whether Suan Lum was closing for redevelopment:

The Ferris Wheel is down, and heavy machinery now in situ on the Rama IV side; I think work is now beginning.

• 4 weeks later...

My family is coming in town on Wednesday and would like to take them there if it is still open. I've heard that it is and that it isn't. Does anybody actually know for certain if the night bazaar is still open or not? Thanks

Could be, the developer who bought that land got cold feet about starting a new construction now. Maybe better to wait and see and collect the rent in the meantime?

The land is owned by Crown Property B. and has not been 'sold'

I am unsure about the leases on it though

The land is owned by Crown Property B. and has not been 'sold'

I am unsure about the leases on it though

leased to Central Group now.

shame.....

I wonder why sufficiency economy is not brought up within the CPB.......

they have probably the highest property ownership in central/downtown bangkok.....not to mention other businesses and earnings of course....

but just based on the property ownership alone....one would expect that leasing it out in the way that small business entrepreneurs can make a living , rather than to another big rich elite corporation to build more malls and hotels, would fit more with the sufficiency economy philosophy being ingrained into every thai person everyday through various source?

I suppose it would be wrong to question why the King's philosophy is not adopted by his business agents? :o

"leased to Central Group now. shame...I wonder why sufficiency economy is not brought up within the CPB.......one would expect that leasing it out in the way that small business entrepreneurs can make a living..."

Evidently you think that the best use of this real estate is to have a thousand Thais selling noodles, counterfeit T-shirts, and carved soap flowers.

Edited by backflip