Hua Hin Golf Trip - Taking Clubs On The Train?

MMan

I've never travelled by train in Thailand, but thought it might be fun to take the train from Bangkok down to Hua Hin for a few days golf. Yes, I know a car would probably be faster, but the train ride is cheap and sounds like fun. And there's even a wonderful old course (Royal Hua Hin, I think) located next to the train station.

My main concern is where to put the clubs during the ride. Is it practical to take along my clubs (in a rolling travel cover) along with a suitcase and carryon via train? Do you just carry them aboard with you? And where would I store them during the ride? Is there a storage closet on the car?

I travelled by train in China once and seem to recall just putting my luggage under the seat, but the clubs, suitcase and carryon would fill more than just the space under my seat.

When you see just what Thais travel with you will realise a set of golf clubs is no problem. Plenty of space to put them. I often travel up to BKK from Chumphon by train. First class is very cheap and you get excellent service. I think you'll find also that the golf course is not next to the station but a taxi ride away. Lots of places in town offer taxi pick up from your hotel and there are a few courses within travelling distance. Plenty of accom in town as well to cater for all budgets. If you get there look up Johnnie at his place Johnnie Walkers,Soi salakem I think but ask any taxi for the place and they will know it. Hes an avid golfer himself and will point you in the right direction Im sure. Enjoy

I've got the train many times from Nakhon Pathom down to Hua Hin or Cha-Am and can say that it is certainly 'interesting'. All but one time I traveled 3rd class (or 'Indian Class' as the TGF put it - referring to the fact that there were people everywhere in the carriage, similar to scenes of trains in the movies...) - quite good fun and cheap as chips. about 30bhat.

From Bkk-Hua Hin get the 'express' train that goes to Malaysia and go for 2nd with a/c or 1st class. the clubs are no problem in terms of storage. If you're not bothered by the heat and interesting odours, I'd recommend going back to Bkk on the 'sprinter' (haha, there's irony for you) and going 3rd class and enjoy the experience!