People warned not drink tap water in areas with high salinity

webfact

People warned not drink tap water in areas with high salinity

By The Nation

800_669bc705a4ffdbb.jpg?v=1578989289

The Metropolitan Waterworks Authority (MWA) said salinity in tap water has exceeded the criteria in many areas, warning people in these “risky areas” to avoid drinking tap water.

A MWA official said today (January 14) that the chloride value measured in tap water exceeds 250 milligrammes per litre.

“According to World Health Organisation criteria, this will affect the taste of the water for nine to ten hours, except in Bangkok Noi and Maen Si areas, which will be affected for three hours,” the official said.

“People can use tap water for consumption, but children, the elderly and patients especially should avoid drinking from the tap,” he said, adding that people can obtain more information via website https://www.mwa.co.th/mobile/readmore_list.php?cid=1662 or LINE application @MWAthailand.

Meanwhile, Royal Irrigation Department deputy director-general Thaweesak Thanadachopol said the department will manage water to solve saltwater intrusion in the Chao Phraya River Basin as planned.

“The department has used water from Chao Phraya Dam to push the saltwater out while opening and closing the Khlong Lat Pho flood gate near the estuary in Samut Prakan province,” he said.

The combined capacity of water for consumption in the four main dams – Bhumibol, Sirikit, Kwai Noi Bumrung Dan and Pasak Jolasid – is currently 4.093 billion cubic metres, Thaweesak said.

“The department would like to ask all sectors to use water according to our plan because allocating water to meet people’s demands is a priority,” he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380542

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-14

The big question is exceeds by how much, and whether other ions such as calcium and magnesium are present which would clog up the kidneys.

I always buy my drinking water from an RO machine, then boil it. I can never be sure the Thai water authorities have not got too enthusiastic with water treatment using lime.

15 hours ago, Thunder26 said:

I thought people in Thailand were not drinking tap water anyway.

It has  "supposedly" been safe to drink Bangkok tap water for a few years now, 

I for one would  "take that with a pinch of salt"

20 hours ago, 30la said:

I have stopped drinking tap water for decades, not only in Thailand and I am sure it is dangerous to drink it in every country in the world!

But it's not.

In fact New York City has great tap water.

Bunch of Nancy's

Edited by Number 6

I never drank tap water in Thailand because I read that I was supposed to avoid it. I was comforted in my choice the first time I opened the flushing tank of my toilet and saw the brown deposit on all the immersed parts. I cleaned it and it came back after a few months...

I cook my pasta in tap water but I definitely wouldn't drink it.

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I read the other day that reverse osmosis treatment will remove salinity from drinking water. Other filtering methods will not.

Think it does but I also read it can remove beneficial trace elements and when you drink it it may remove those from your system. A bit like drinking distilled water and that is bad for you for the same reason.

Not sure though.

Edited by overherebc

4 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Think it does but I also read it can remove beneficial trace elements and when you drink it it may remove those from your system. A bit like drinking distilled water and that is bad for you for the same reason.

Not sure though.

I don't know much about the overall benefits vs disadvantages of RO treatment.

But I do know, it's not good for the body to drink entirely de-mineralized water, because doing so will tend to leach needed minerals out of the body.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I don't know much about the overall benefits vs disadvantages of RO treatment.

But I do know, it's not good for the body to drink entirely de-mineralized water, because doing so will tend to leach needed minerals out of the body.

I just had a chat with mister google and more reports coming out that the process removes ( worst case ) over 90% of beneficial elements. If you drink it it will leach those out of the food you eat and you just pee them down the toilet. 

However the producers, many, still advertise the 'heath benefits'.

Edited by overherebc

7 minutes ago, overherebc said:

I just had a chat with mister google and more reports coming out that the process removes ( worst case ) over 90% of beneficial elements. If you drink it it will leach those out of the food you eat and you just pee them down the toilet. 

However the producers, many, still advertise the 'heath benefits'.

In the west, at least, I know there are some bottled waters that say they are treated with RO, and then have "beneficial" levels of minerals added back into the water. So it's not like you're drinking distilled water.

Whether that same thing occurs here, or whether some of the bottlers just RO it and call it a day, I don't know.

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

I just had a chat with mister google and more reports coming out that the process removes ( worst case ) over 90% of beneficial elements

I read that most of the minerals come from the food we eat  and not the water ?

10 minutes ago, johng said:

I read that most of the minerals come from the food we eat  and not the water ?

True but the osmosis water has a greater affinity with the minerals so 'grabs' them from the food and your body doesn't get them.

Edited by overherebc