Ubon - News

jay-uk

I've been to Tony's once for breakfast, and it wasn't much to talk about.

I'm not surprised it's for sale, as I've hardly seen any customers inside.

Also not much parking available outside. :D

When I went there at least one year ago we asked if there was a farang involved in the business and got a negative reply. :D

Anyway I think the price for the Tony's is high..........and the rent is way too high! :o

I have made an effort to promote Ubon in a small way. My website and blog, even with their shortcomings, have been helpful to many farang tourists and visitors coming to Ubon. They have been kind enough to send an email or make comments on the blog.

TAT has never acknowledged at all. I have been there and the help was just giving a brochure and asked to sign the guestbook. My feeling is there is limited promotion except during Candle Festival in July.

There is a lot of potential here for tourism and I seldom see it exploited. It takes an effort to promote to foreigners and much easier to get tour groups, conventions, seminars and workshops to fill the hotels. I see a "here it is" marketing approach much like the dangerous buses people ride on in Thailand.

Huai Wong Nang is a spot in town with a lot of potential. A large reservoir surrounded by restaurants, resorts and houses. It is hard to get there if you don't have transportation though. A songtaew passes by the southern end but none circle the pond.

There are many places in Ubon to get a decent breakfast. Not all are true western style breakfast but similar ingredients and taste. Kai Grata, a fried egg, served in the pan its cooked in and comes with sausage and bread rolls is quite good.

Nescafe restaurant on the corner of Sinarong and Ratchawong Rds is a good and popular place for breakfast. You can get Kai Grata and some western style. It is 1 block east of the main post office.

Dao Coffee also has a decent breakfast selection. They are on Chongkonnithan Rd 2 blocks south of Natsiri Mansion. Line 8 passes by this coffee shop.

Somchai serves a Kai Grata set and can have with Bolan coffee for 50TB. It comes with a small glass of orange juice as well. It is on Phadaeng Rd across from a court and is one block south of Wrong Way Cafe on the opposite side before you reach Tung Sri Muang.

Phadaeng Mansion, across from Wrong Way and about 50 meters south toward the park is 400TB per night for queen size bed and 500TB per night for king size bed. The rooms are small but clean and have air-con, TV with VCR and hot water. A good alternative for the rooms behind Wrong Way.

There are many places that offer western food, Nana, S&P, Black Canyon, Risotto, several Japanese places, Wrong Way, N-Joy, Smile, the restaurant at the new Sunee Grand Hotel, many places offer steaks and you can even get some French cuisine at Tohsang City Hotel restaurant.

• 3 weeks later...
I have made an effort to promote Ubon in a small way. My website and blog, even with their shortcomings, have been helpful to many farang tourists and visitors coming to Ubon. They have been kind enough to send an email or make comments on the blog.

TAT has never acknowledged at all. I have been there and the help was just giving a brochure and asked to sign the guestbook. My feeling is there is limited promotion except during Candle Festival in July.

There is a lot of potential here for tourism and I seldom see it exploited. It takes an effort to promote to foreigners and much easier to get tour groups, conventions, seminars and workshops to fill the hotels. I see a "here it is" marketing approach much like the dangerous buses people ride on in Thailand.

Huai Wong Nang is a spot in town with a lot of potential. A large reservoir surrounded by restaurants, resorts and houses. It is hard to get there if you don't have transportation though. A songtaew passes by the southern end but none circle the pond.

There are many places in Ubon to get a decent breakfast. Not all are true western style breakfast but similar ingredients and taste. Kai Grata, a fried egg, served in the pan its cooked in and comes with sausage and bread rolls is quite good.

Nescafe restaurant on the corner of Sinarong and Ratchawong Rds is a good and popular place for breakfast. You can get Kai Grata and some western style. It is 1 block east of the main post office.

Dao Coffee also has a decent breakfast selection. They are on Chongkonnithan Rd 2 blocks south of Natsiri Mansion. Line 8 passes by this coffee shop.

Somchai serves a Kai Grata set and can have with Bolan coffee for 50TB. It comes with a small glass of orange juice as well. It is on Phadaeng Rd across from a court and is one block south of Wrong Way Cafe on the opposite side before you reach Tung Sri Muang.

Phadaeng Mansion, across from Wrong Way and about 50 meters south toward the park is 400TB per night for queen size bed and 500TB per night for king size bed. The rooms are small but clean and have air-con, TV with VCR and hot water. A good alternative for the rooms behind Wrong Way.

There are many places that offer western food, Nana, S&P, Black Canyon, Risotto, several Japanese places, Wrong Way, N-Joy, Smile, the restaurant at the new Sunee Grand Hotel, many places offer steaks and you can even get some French cuisine at Tohsang City Hotel restaurant.

Thank you, UbonTaz, for the reference to Kai Grata. I love that stuff, and had been struggling to recall the name. My father in-law takes me and my sons for that delicacy at least a couple times during each trip back to their mother's ancestral home, and I'm pretty sure from your description that Nescafe is the place we go (corner of a semi-busy three way (?) intersection, the shop itself festooned with Nescafe signs, tables on the sidewalks as well as inside?).

Think we've also been to Huai Wong Nang, based on your description of the (rather large) resevoir. Nice place. And of course we've traveled pretty far on a number of occasions to visit the family's favorite larp duck establishments.

Looking forward to our next trip, likely in June after school gets out, so I can check out the Wrong Way and other locales mentioned in these pages, especially those in your last post. Wish I'd known about this forum before our last trip a couple years back.

• 5 months later...
Hi Memock

Yes, Tony's bakery is opposite the base. It is also for sale for at the moment.

Jay

Thanks Jay for the heads up, as you already know, two months ago we purchased Tony's and have renamed it Peppers Bakery & Cafe. Full breakfast from 8am, including favourites like Eggs Benedict, Blueberry Pancakes and French Toast plus of course a good old Bacon, Eggs, Beans, Toast and Hot Chips fry up!

Hello Memock

Can't wait to give the place a try when next over. Ubon was missing a place to eat a good western breakfast and lunch so very much looking forward to coming and saying hello. Wishing you all the best for the future with Peppers.

Jay

Hi Memock

Yes, Tony's bakery is opposite the base. It is also for sale for at the moment.

Jay

Thanks Jay for the heads up, as you already know, two months ago we purchased Tony's and have renamed it Peppers Bakery & Cafe. Full breakfast from 8am, including favourites like Eggs Benedict, Blueberry Pancakes and French Toast plus of course a good old Bacon, Eggs, Beans, Toast and Hot Chips fry up!

MeMock, I was visiting Ubon last Monday. I knew of your place from a previous post. After driving from Surin, I dropped family off at the hospital and headed to Peppers expecting the kind of breakfast you describe. But there was no menu or indication of cooked food/breakfast, only good looking cakes and pastries in the showcase. I had a coffee and enjoyed a read of a real paper Bangkok Post. Nice clean layout, first class bathroom facility. But if you sell food, you need to let customers know.

My impression after several visits this past month, businesses like yours would really benefit jointly from a town map showing the locations mentioned on this thread. Isan is full of expats that probably get to Ubon occasionally, and like me, do a quick hunt online for places to see, stay and dine/drink. I could not find much and from these posts it seems even locals are not aware places exist or where to find them. I'll be visiting again and would be inclined to stay a day or two if I knew I could get a good meal and where to go for a coldy.

Anyway, I'll be sure to ask for a breakfast next time. Good luck.

Hi Chinavet,

Thank you so much for dropping in. I was on a visa run to Chong Mek last Monday so must have missed you. For some reason the girls obviously didn't bring a menu to your table and I am not sure why that happened.

Anyway I have read your message out to them so that the feedback goes to them direct so hopefully this will not happen again.

I really would like to thank you for the feedback as without it there is no way that we can improve.

Next to you come up please ask if either myself Andrew or Ben is around so that we can have a chat.

My impression after several visits this past month, businesses like yours would really benefit jointly from a town map showing the locations mentioned on this thread. Isan is full of expats that probably get to Ubon occasionally, and like me, do a quick hunt online for places to see, stay and dine/drink. I could not find much and from these posts it seems even locals are not aware places exist or where to find them. I'll be visiting again and would be inclined to stay a day or two if I knew I could get a good meal and where to go for a coldy.

Anyway, I'll be sure to ask for a breakfast next time. Good luck.

ChinaVet,

That is currently a work in progress on my site, which is being upgraded and remodeled. It is taking some time as I am a one man show. But hopefully there will be exactly what you describe for expat travellers to Ubon. I am learning as well as doing and want to get it right.

P.S. They do serve hot food at Peppers, including breakfast. I have consumed several breakfasts and lunches there.