Package sent via Thailand Post to Canada, how to track with Canada Post or Thailand Post?

ManInCanada

I had a seller sent me an item I purchased on Ebay via Thailand Post. The tracking number is registered and shows up on Thailand Post site, but not on Canada Post.

The tracking number is in format RO#########TH, where #'s are numbers.

It's been more than a week since the item left Thailand, but there's been no progress since then. The seller claims he sent the item, and I believe him, he's got over 1000 positive feedback with just 2 neutrals, so he's trustworthy. But Canada Post tracking system says: "We didn’t find an item associated with this number. Find out why. You can also edit this number."

Has anyone had success tracking items sent via Thailand Post all the way to delivery in Canada on either Canada Post site or Thailand Post?

most of the times that i shipped stuff myself to Canada it took a long while and then eventually updated on Canada Post website.

I have had things take 2 months to get there. all depends on which kind of shipping he used. can't tell from the RO** tracking number but 2-3 weeks at most usually.

• Like 1

send from Thailand has to be tracked with www.thailandpost.co.th once at the site on the top left corner there's Thai flag,  click on it to change language, click on tract/trace EMS once at the site for tracking you need to change language again, thus time on the right top corner the letters TH click on it and select the language, then type in the track info..... don't worry if the tracking site is not updated daily, this is Thailand, my package to the Philippines stayed 2 weeks at the airport but was delivered.. good luck

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kekalot said:

most of the times that i shipped stuff myself to Canada it took a long while and then eventually updated on Canada Post website.

I have had things take 2 months to get there. all depends on which kind of shipping he used.

Did you send Registered or EMS to Canada? EMS shipments tracking number starts with EE.

There's also an app from the Thai Post (Track & Trace) where you can track your outgoing AND incoming packages and registered letters. For example: if a friend send a registered letter from Germany to my address in Thailand I can see the letter in the app within hours after he leaved it at the german post office.

• Haha 1

For over 20 years, I have sent many packages from Thailand to Canada and from Canada to Thailand.  Not once has there been a problem with tracking and everything has been delivered within 10 days either way.  It does depend on whether the package was sent sea mail or air mail and mine have always been by air.  In fact, I sent a small package from Canada to BKK just a couple of days ago and it has already arrived in Thailand.

'nuf sed

Edited by wotsdermatter
  • Haha 1

I once sent a standard letter via EMS service from Banglamung, Thailand to Toronto. It was out of Thailand in something like 36-48 hours. Clearing Canada customs and arriving at a government department took weeks. Tracking was working. About 7-10 days to clear customs and over a  week to get to Toronto and a few more days to be delievered. Absolutely abominable service in Canada. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

In sending airmail packages from Thailand to US/Canada I once calculated a failure rate (ie, truly excessive delivery times of more than 35 days or the parcel goes missing altogether) of around 2%. The tracking goes off line after it leaves Thailand, and can stay off line for an awfully long time (four weeks isn't all that unusual). Then as someone body else mentioned, once it gets through customs it's possible to see progress again. I have since learned to tell customers in US/Canada to expect that, so there's less need to hold hands nowadays than what there was in the past. 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, xn47140 said:

There's also an app from the Thai Post (Track & Trace) where you can track your outgoing AND incoming packages and registered letters. For example: if a friend send a registered letter from Germany to my address in Thailand I can see the letter in the app within hours after he leaved it at the german post office.

This app license expired, new one is useless , unless they renewed the license app already 

1 hour ago, xn47140 said:

Without him having to give you the tracking id?

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Without him having to give you the tracking id?

You need the tracking ID of course, but see also post #14...I didn't used the app for the three or four months, so maybe it's not working anymore...

I have used this one before when sending stuff to the UK, as the name suggests it is for packages going out of Thailand, I have had stuff get as far as Swampy and basically not move for 7 - 10 days or more, so don't worry too much, please let us know what happens. ???? 

https://www.aftership.com/couriers/thailand-post

• Haha 1

Ok, I'll wait a bit longer to see if the tracking number appears within Canada Post's network. Maybe it's still waiting to be processed by customs.

But from my experience not all registered mail parcels appear in Canada Post's tracking systems. Some do, some do not. I ordered a bunch of stuff from China and Hong Kong in the past, the packages with tracking numbers like (RR,RV)#########(CN,HK) never got tracked with Canada Post from what I remember, and even China Post and Hong Kong Post never registered any progress after the packages have left the originating countries.

I know about third party tracking services (17track, aftership, parcelsapp, etc), they all pull data off existing postal service providers, and they all show the same info that is already available by Thailand Post. None show any activity in Canada so far.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, ManInCanada said:

It's been more than a week since the item left Thailand, but there's been no progress since then. The seller claims he sent the item, and I believe him, he's got over 1000 positive feedback with just 2 neutrals, so he's trustworthy. But Canada Post tracking system says: "We didn’t find an item associated with this number. Find out why. You can also edit this number."

I sent a package from Thailand to Canada a couple of months ago, Registered Mail.  I had EXACTLY the same experience as you describe in your post, including the "We didn't find ... number."  A month after sending, I contacted the addressee in Canada and confirmed their receipt of the package.  The last entry on the Thailand tracking site was Swampy, so the Thai site does work correctly.  The Canadian tracking site never did show anything.

So, your experience seems to be par for the course.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, redpill17 said:

Registered mail should be trackable on both sides. It will show up on Canada Post website once processed by customs.

Wrong, it won't for Canada, since many years.

And very slow delivery also, because they are idiots:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/canada-post-reveals-it-is-the-reason-for-lengthy-parcel-delays-1.3447438

Canada Post has since admitted to a delay in processing because of the glut of packages being mailed from Asia, often too small and hard to read for machines.

Jon Hamilton, a spokesperson for the agency, says parcels mailed from China are a low priority since the country doesn’t pay anything in shipping costs because of international postal treaties.

Edited by rech

3 hours ago, ManInCanada said:

But from my experience not all registered mail parcels appear in Canada Post's tracking systems. Some do, some do not. I ordered a bunch of stuff from China and Hong Kong in the past, the packages with tracking numbers like (RR,RV)#########(CN,HK) never got tracked with Canada Post from what I remember, and even China Post and Hong Kong Post never registered any progress after the packages have left the originating countries.

They have never shown any result since more than 5 years, maybe 10...

8 hours ago, wotsdermatter said:

For over 20 years, I have sent many packages from Thailand to Canada and from Canada to Thailand.  Not once has there been a problem with tracking and everything has been delivered within 10 days either way.

Clearly BS ! never you have been able to track a parcel sent from Thailand to Canada. Only EMS.

• Like 1

I used parcelmonitor.com to track a package sent regular mail from the US to my address in Thailand. It tracked it the entire way. I assume it would work going from Thailand to Canada. No need to change language. Just put in the tracking number 

On 1/21/2020 at 6:17 PM, rech said:

Wrong, it won't for Canada, since many years.

And very slow delivery also, because they are idiots:

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/canada-post-reveals-it-is-the-reason-for-lengthy-parcel-delays-1.3447438

Canada Post has since admitted to a delay in processing because of the glut of packages being mailed from Asia, often too small and hard to read for machines.

Jon Hamilton, a spokesperson for the agency, says parcels mailed from China are a low priority since the country doesn’t pay anything in shipping costs because of international postal treaties.

OK, I didn't know that. I've used Thai Post several times from different locations in Thailand. Registered mail delivered to my home country in 5-14 days and it's trackable. So local services are to blame in case of delays, not Thai Post.