Hua Lamphong station to remain open after Bang Sue station opens

snoop1130

Hua Lamphong station to remain open after Bang Sue station opens

adcc73e457ab23eef5e75bd8edf32d64.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - The State Railway of Thailand (SRT) has confirmed the Bangkok Railway Station or Hua Lamphong, will remain open but with fewer train services radiating from the station, after the opening of Bang Sue Grand, which will serve as the new central station for Bangkok.

The SRT says fewer trains will terminate at Hua Lamphong after the opening of Bang Sue Grand, however the old Bangkok station will remain open for passenger services, with some parts of the historic building converted into a railway museum.

Bang Sue Grand, which will serve as the new central station for Bangkok, will open in 2021. The station will be South East Asia’s largest railway station, and provide connections to other modes of public transport including the Bangkok Metro (MRT). The new station is expected to help solve traffic congestion in surrounding areas.

The grand station project also includes commercial developments such as shopping malls, hotels, and office buildings. In the initial phase after the opening, the SRT will select suitable train services to operate from and terminate at Bang Sue station instead of Hua Lamphong, with other services still serving Hua Lamphong station as usual.

nnt.jpg

-- © Copyright NNT 2020-01-20
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The grand station project also includes commercial developments such as shopping malls, hotels, and office buildings.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The new station is expected to help solve traffic congestion in surrounding areas.

These two statements are incompatible. Building a huge station - the largest in SE Asia - along with malls, hotels and offices increases traffic, not reduces it. The ignorance and stupidity here astounds me. They just haven't got a clue.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

The old station is terribly convenient and fun, or it use to be.  It is nice that they will allow it to remain.  When I lived nearby, use to be the closest place to get donuts.    

Did you ever visit there during the morning when the band marches in and plays the national anthem?

Being ex military myself I love to see these displays of pomp.

3 hours ago, yellowboat said:

The old station is terribly convenient and fun, or it use to be.  It is nice that they will allow it to remain.  When I lived nearby, use to be the closest place to get donuts.    

you'd hope it would be protected for cultural heritage reasons as a historical relevant building, however it wouldn't surprise me to see it demolished and another shopping mall built on the site. we can but hope sense prevails.

• Like 1

In the twenty-five years odd that I lived in Thailand I have nothing but fond memories of Hua Lamphong station. Must have caught the Nakornping Special Express from here to C Mai at least forty times. I loved the old train with the "hole in the floor" toilet. (Exciting to use at speed). In second class (fans) the windows opened too and folks would sell you things at various stations - even cold beer ! A bygone era and the air was a hell of a lot cleaner then too.

Backwards and forwards CM to BKK by sleeper train in 2012, when doing the migration thing to bring the Mrs to Oz was not really the same, but we had a baby to look after. No shortage of things to buy or foods to eat in that station. Hope they don't just pull it down.