Racism

Lesumare

Hello all,

I'm a normal Farang living in BKK, 21 years old, white skin.

I recently experienced the same incident that keeps happening to me: when I take public transportation, a Thai man starts staring at me.

He then starts saying things and in the end all I know is he pissed the hel_l out of me for doing nothing plus hearing the word "Farang" in between whatever the crap he has just said.

Last time, it happened at the river Boat (I take it to cut the traffic jam in Petchaburi and reach home faster). This Thai fella sitting in front of me started staring at me, saying a lot of things in Thai obviously at me (Farang again incl.) After a while, he still kept on looking back at me. The woman who was with him kept on telling him to leave me alone (apparently), and he stopped it after he realized I didn't pay attention. At that moment, my head was spinning about to explode but I kept calm and didn't look back at this piece of shit.

Today, amazingly it happened again. I took the BUS home; no more Boat after 8 PM so today I took it because the ride is quite long.

Then it turned out the Bus was being driven by a Drunk collector and a Complete ###### driver. This irresponsible guy sped on the middle of Petchburi road driving an old Bus that I bet it could merely start its engine properly. Then they switch seats, and same story goes for this prick. Start giving me shit when I did nothing.

I'm a white Farang living in Bangkok. I didn't do anything to these pricks.

What to do with these parasites if I happen to experience the same again ?

I love Thailand, its people, nature and friendliness. However, lately I really felt like getting the ###### outta here.

Thanks in advance.

Muslims pissed at Whites

I am seeing some racism and bigotry in this thread ........ but not by the people being discussed ....

Yes when someone is looking at you and you hear 'farang' they really probably ARE talking about you ... doesn't mean it is bad ...

smile and go on with your life :o

and stop being a tw@t talking about Thai folks that are Muslim :D

You totally missed my point.

These pricks were looking at me bad.

The last time, the bus driver, he looked like a real Thug. I was scared he could even have a gun.

You think I am playing games and talking bullshit ?

Edited by Lesumare

You are right endure ... I shouldn't have called him a tw@t ...

Because people look at you or say 'farang' does NOT mean they are saying bad things about you. You could easily just be the first young farang that many have seen.

You need to learn Thai. It will help you understand what you are hearing.

You need to be smarter about your personal safety. If you get on a local bus and the driver is not safe. GET OFF!

Chances are the guy on the boat was just speculating about you as few men would be rude to someone with a woman with them ... being rude is losing face for them NOT gaining face <yes the converse can be true with groups of people being all 'tough' ... but not with a man and woman together>

Your speculation about religion was simply assinine .... Most of the time I have lived in Thailand I have lived amongst Muslim people ... and I am an American. I have had a few great conversations about world events with the people around me.

to sum up again ...

Learn Thai

Don't be paranoid ... just because you hear the word farang it is not automatically bad

Get to know some Thai folks that happen to be Muslim

It was 100% obvious they were talking about me.

This was an incident where 2 drunken Thais picked on a Farang.

I heard Farang as the ppl seating there next to the driver looked straight at me.

I am not stupid to not notice such thing.

But nevermind, just wanted to share it with all.

To live is a trick, we gotta be careful.

... he stopped it after he realized I didn't pay attention. At that moment, my head was spinning about to explode but I kept calm ...
That's the best course of action. Keeping your cool and never stare anyone down.

Don't count on anyone to help you if something escalates into an altercation, and that can happen quickly if the a-hole is also a psycho.

It's tough to keep smiling and being pleasant when surrounded by hostility but keep in mind your alone and far from home.

When I encounter someone who's obviously annoyed or hostile, I first do a quick inventory on myself, do I look like a bum, inappropriately dressed for environment, am I inadvertently displaying disrespect, sitting cross-legged with a foot pointing at someone, etc.

Let's hope these are isolated incidents, and not a broader trend. :o

post 14 doesn't match any of your other posts ... because you know a word or two ... does NOT mean that you understand Thai. If you understood Thai you would have known what was being said.

Farang is a nuetral word ... not a negative word (though it can be used snidely ... that is inflection combined with the rest of what is said.

You probably were being discussed ... in 2 out of the three scenarios you presented it was probably NOT in a negative way.

Great comment, thanks cobra

Now, I must say he did look like a Psycho too

At one point on the BUS, this guy walked towards my direction, quickly stopped and then pretended that he was paraplegic of one foot.

He stood there and stared at me again.

After that, this weirdo was walking normally.

Not sure which kind of Acids or mushrooms he was on.

Great comment, thanks cobra

Now, I must say he did look like a Psycho too

At one point on the BUS, this guy walked towards my direction, quickly stopped and then pretended that he was paraplegic of one foot.

He stood there and stared at me again.

After that, this weirdo was walking normally.

Not sure which kind of Acids or mushrooms he was on.

Oh – a tetraplegic, acid dropping mushroom chomping Muslim bus driver – why did you not say so in the first place?

There are LOTS of them around – but you have to know what to look for.

:D:o:D

Patrick

Yes, this thread is becoming a bit funny- ha-ha, and the other way, too.

OP, may I suggest a more laid-back attitude? As they say in physics, sometimes the observer affects the thing observed- perhaps the people staring at you are wondering the same thing about why you are staring at them? Chill out, and perhaps you should have a Thai friend walk around with you to dispel the negative vibe you may be imposing by yourself on various situations.

All of us foreigners have been talked about as "farang, farang" by Thais at one point or another. Maybe they were discussing how handsome you are- who knows, unless you know exactly what they were saying? I don't mind it- it's my payback for having ever referred to a foreigner, an Asian, a black guy or any other minority in such terms in conversation back home.

"S"

At one point on the BUS, this guy walked towards my direction, quickly stopped and then pretended that he was paraplegic of one foot. Please look up the word 'paraplegic'

Not sure which kind of Acids or mushrooms he was on. And we don't know what acid or mushrooms that you were on

Hello all,

I'm a normal Farang living in BKK, 21 years old, white skin.

I recently experienced the same incident that keeps happening to me: when I take public transportation, a Thai man starts staring at me.

He then starts saying things and in the end all I know is he pissed the hel_l out of me for doing nothing plus hearing the word "Farang" in between whatever the crap he has just said.

Last time, it happened at the river Boat (I take it to cut the traffic jam in Petchaburi and reach home faster). This Thai fella sitting in front of me started staring at me, saying a lot of things in Thai obviously at me (Farang again incl.) After a while, he still kept on looking back at me. The woman who was with him kept on telling him to leave me alone (apparently), and he stopped it after he realized I didn't pay attention. At that moment, my head was spinning about to explode but I kept calm and didn't look back at this piece of shit.

Today, amazingly it happened again. I took the BUS home; no more Boat after 8 PM so today I took it because the ride is quite long.

Then it turned out the Bus was being driven by a Drunk collector and a Complete ###### driver. This irresponsible guy sped on the middle of Petchburi road driving an old Bus that I bet it could merely start its engine properly. Then they switch seats, and same story goes for this prick. Start giving me shit when I did nothing.

I'm a white Farang living in Bangkok. I didn't do anything to these pricks.

What to do with these parasites if I happen to experience the same again ?

I love Thailand, its people, nature and friendliness. However, lately I really felt like getting the ###### outta here.

Thanks in advance.

get a thai girfriend ( or whatever is your game !!!) and all your problems will melt away mate !!>

As in any country, be street wise, ignore the comments and stay cooooooooooooooooooool.

If you feel threatened get away from it as quick as you can and find a safer area, populated if possible.

This is the language of survival everywhere in the world.

Do not show outward aggression or hostility as is could maybe be what they are trying to get you to do.

On the other hand as is already noted, you could be over reacting.

marshbags :o

Try carrying a copy of a Thai language paper, and pretend you're reading it with pages open, and just ignore the ones staring. you'll not see them staring and totally ignore them. just ring the bell, get off at the next stop and get a taxi.

Muslims pissed at Whites

:o Who is the fool racist now?????

IMHO,according to your comments you would deserve each bad word you had assumed been said to you .Stop generalization and remember Muslims are humans too and most of them are white too(just open your eyes and mind before you open your big mouth!!!)

Edited by zaza

Muslims pissed at Whites

:o Who is the fool racist now?????

IMHO,according to your comments you would deserve each bad word you had assumed been said to you .Stop generalization and remember Muslims are human too and most of them are white too(just open your eyes and mind before you open your big mouth!!!) [/b]

no need to get excited. Lesumare is not a racist... he's just a stupid young uneducated boy.

:D